Phoenix and Beau: Menthol soap testers required

That's right, don't get too caught up in that whole extreme freeze thing. Some of these menth heads can be pretty nuts and always looking for more of a hit.

Martin

Com'on dodgy, you must have tried proraso? the menthol hit teases you and leaves you wanting more. It's more of a 'gateway' drug than a soap.

I've never really got the menthol from Proraso, it must just be much too weak for me. Every time I use a good strong menthol soap, I always get a fantastic shave. I'm not sure why but I think the heightened sensitivity means I feel the blade better on my skin. I use a frozen towel as part of my post shave routine but I'm not sure there are adequate words to describe the combination of the menthol and freeze.

Com'on dodgy, you must have tried proraso? the menthol hit teases you and leaves you wanting more. It's more of a 'gateway' drug than a soap.

Yep, I've used Proraso in the past and never got into it. Scent and performance was just ok, and I don't believe the menthol kick was very much.

Only even slightly 'cooling' thing in the rotation is Myrsol Emulsion and it's a mild feeling I put up with rather than look for.

Not knowing much about menthol or how/why it takes over people's lives, I would imagine peppermint EO would be a good mixer for that stuff. Kind of a double whammy.

Not for me though,

Martin

Last edited:
Well I've just got back from my evening shave and I used my Phoenix and Beau Denali menthol sample. Thank for the opportunity Kerry. I can say it is a lovely soap. Lathered well and had all the attributes a good soap should have. Glide, cushion and protection. The scent was very nice and came out of the bowl well too. Lovely minty refreshing scent, very uplifting. I do not usually go for menthol scents but this has opened my eyes and I will definitely buy the full soap when it is released. I enjoyed my shave and have more than enough for about 10 more shaves.
Great product.

I would imagine peppermint EO would be a good mixer for that stuff.

Peppermint EO is alright on its own but I find it really enhances other fragrances such as lavender or rosemary. I've experimented quite a bit using Arko as the base and been surprised as the results.
It's very handy to have the peppermint, or even eucalyptus for those days you might feel a bit congested. The two together are a great combination.

Received my sample yesterday afternoon and used it for this morning's shave. It reminds me of some type of minty sweet like mentos, softmints etc. It was a nice scent and I prefer it to the other P&B soaps I have used.

The soap and shave itself were great, but that will come as no surprise to those that have used Kerry's soaps before.

I agree that you shouldn't chase the Menthol heads down their rabbit hole with a face freezing soap but I also agree that it could be a bit colder. I didn't find it nearly as cold as Proraso, but then again I understand it gets colder with more passes and I only did two.

This is my favourite P&B so far. If it gets colder it would be a serious contender to oust Proraso from my den and that is high praise.

Thanks for the opportunity and a great shave Kerry.

First outing with this today and overall pretty positive. My only experience of menthol soaps is green Proraso and I find the Denali less of a chill. I felt the soap was more peppermint than menthol but performance was good and skin feel afterwards was very good too. My preference would be to beef up the menthol to fractionally beyond proraso and ease back on the peppermint a bit.

I tried my sample this morning;
used the 1st lather for a hot towel prep followed by a 3 pass shave, lots of opportunity for the cooling to build.
The fragrance to me is a mentos mint as noted by @Scowley , the cooling effect is quite subtle. I would prefer a little more ooomph to live up to the Denali name.

The performance, in particular the post shave, is outstanding.
I've been using proraso white for the week prior & the menthol content is not too dissimilar.

Its a toughie, the shave was so good, I'd really like to see it as an offering but under a different guise. I was expecting something a lot colder from denali.
I will continue to use the sample exclusively until finished and post any further critique as & when.

I used my sample for the first time this morning. Lather quality was top-notch. Slick and smooth. Change nothing!
Scent was very nice and minty, menthol was spot-on. Very nice cooling effect without making my eyes water or cause discomfort. It could have more, but not much. This would satisfy most of your users except the extreme menth-heads who have other...outlets for their...condition. ;)

Just tried my sample and I would have liked more menthol, I found it even less then the proraso!

Can be a nice soap if the menthol is upped!

Thanks for letting me try the soap Kerry!

Used the Denali again today for a cold water shave.

I was playing 5 a side before work so thought I would shave before as I don't get good shaves if I shave straight after exercise. I didn't shower so used Proraso preshave to help prep. I finished off with Proraso green balm.

The Denali was as great as before and accompanied these cooling items nicely. I had a great shave and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However I still think that it could be a bit colder to reach its full potential.

Back
Top Bottom