Progress Megress Knob

I dont know any, but I guess if you contacted a good proffesional model maker he would probably be able to knock one out no problem, or you could contact your local technical college as I did and ask them to make you one, i did this for my stainless steel base that holds my Feather razor.

Jamie.

I received a Progress a couple of hours ago (working from home today). It was after today's shave so will give it a try tomorrow. I suppose on the plus side the plastic looks a bit retro, a bit like bakelite, but I may consider sending off thanks to this thread

Northam Saint said:
Jeltz said:
what I have never been able to understand is why Merkur still make them with that crappy knob

Can only be production cost. I love the look of the Megress style chrome knobs, far better than the plastic one. Also atop razor.

Indeed but if they did a little customer research they would know that its one of the most common criticisms.

While it would cost more I'm sure that they could charge more and even increase their margin.

Actually given the prices some of the artisan razors and old Gillettes have been making I'm surprised that Merkur hasn't established a "premium" brand to produce limited edition or stainless steel razors to enthusiasts. If I was a marketing guy for Merkur I would be looking to see who owns the Hoffritz brand or bringing out a range of exclusive safety razors under the Dovo branding. Among that would be a progress that looked the part!

Jeltz said:
Northam Saint said:
Jeltz said:
what I have never been able to understand is why Merkur still make them with that crappy knob

Can only be production cost. I love the look of the Megress style chrome knobs, far better than the plastic one. Also atop razor.

Indeed but if they did a little customer research they would know that its one of the most common criticisms.

While it would cost more I'm sure that they could charge more and even increase their margin.

Actually given the prices some of the artisan razors and old Gillettes have been making I'm surprised that Merkur hasn't established a "premium" brand to produce limited edition or stainless steel razors to enthusiasts. If I was a marketing guy for Merkur I would be looking to see who owns the Hoffritz brand or bringing out a range of exclusive safety razors under the Dovo branding. Among that would be a progress that looked the part!
Merkur make good shaving razors ,but, do you think they would be capeabe of producing a "premium" brand of razor given that they are not particulary well known for the quality of finish . Would they be able to finish a razor to the standards of the premium brands on the market today,I for one have returned Merkur razors due to a poor finish .

Derrick

Can I ask some questions for clarity here, guys?

Are we saying that a Mergress is simply a new knob on a Progress - no other mods?

Are Bob's Progress knobs exactly like the Mergress knobs?

How do we swap the knobs out?

Yes the Megress is a progress and the difference is the metal knob. The metal knob adds weight, I am going to double check but I think it's a straight replacement. If you pull on the plastic knob on a progress it comes out. I've done this and placed it back with no damage and the numbers match up just the same.

Oh have a look here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/10173-Mergress-Merkur-Progress-Upgrade
It mentions doing the mod yourself.

Back
Top Bottom