Progress Megress Knob

After reading that thread I'm not sure now if they sell them separate, I don't fancy sending my to the us for conversion. May well. Be worth seeing if someone here can make a metal knob. Looking at mine it can't be rocket science to make a replacement fully out of metal. There doesn't seem to be an actual mechanism it's basically a knob that tightens up for setting 1and slackens off for up to 9.

You're correct, he doesn't sell the knobs. Also from what I've read, he removes the plastic bit, then bonds the new metal knob to the inner shaft. Its not a newly machined shaft.

Bobs knobs are completely new parts, but do not have the retaining ring, so it drops out when you change blades.

Iirc, cost of postage is $6 for bobs knob.

What I'm getting is that Bob's knobs are a cheaper, copy version of a Mergress and that Mergress do more than just stick/bond/glue a knob into the end of your Progress - and charge a lot more. Am I correct in thinking that Mergress sell only converted razors rather than take in individuals' razors and convert them? Does Bob do more than just bond a knob into the end of your Progress, does anyone know?

The knob isn't bonded to the bottom of the razor. There is a groove and a clip that holds the knob in the handle. it's a whole new knob that just uses the original calibration ring.

Why Eric does the conversion is because he will set the Mergress so that first number (i can't remember if it's 0 or 1) and as a result, all Mergress's have consistent calibration.

If you send Eric an email, I'm sure he will convert your progress.

Hope that helps!

I have a Mergress bought here from a friendly forum member. The knob doesn't seem to come out, mind you I haven't tired tugging it hard. Way to many innuendo opportunities in this thread.....quite hard to resist.....anyway moving on.....

I don't know what like the standard progress is but I find the Mergress is a fine razor. The complaint I had read about was that with some Progress razors you load the blade and find the adjustment that suits, say 3 for instance. Next blade you load 3 may be too harsh or too mild. Once adjusted it is fine and hold the adjustment; only when you dismantle and reassemble does the adjustment change....if that makes any sense.

At first I thought it was maybe that people were not putting it back together correctly, there is a mark on the side of the cap and the head and these need to be lined up but even when checking this they maintain the problem persists. However not everyone seems to have the problem

You can buy a mergress from lee's razors, or send your progress to Eric for conversion, but return postage is $25, so not cost effective.

I'm sure I read that he removes the plastic and bonds the metal knob to the existing bottom part.

Garbe said:
You can buy a mergress from lee's razors, or send your progress to Eric for conversion, but return postage is $25, so not cost effective.

I'm sure I read that he removes the plastic and bonds the metal knob to the existing bottom part.

I think Lees Razors are supplied by Eric, he seems to get big batches converted for Lees. Return postage doesn't really make this worth it. Shame as I love the look of the metal adjustment knob.

Northam Saint said:
Garbe said:

I think Lees Razors are supplied by Eric, he seems to get big batches converted for Lees. Return postage doesn't really make this worth it. Shame as I love the look of the metal adjustment knob.

Thats very disappointing,
Derrick

Before the thread disintegrates into knob jests -

Who is Eric and what is his e-address? If he is the source, can we cut out Lee's Razors?

Have we discovered the most practicable way of obtaining a Mergress?

Before this thread started, my intention had been to buy a Mergress from Lee's and then sell my Progress - but now I think if the loss on selling is about the same or worse than the postage to Eric ......

Bechet45 said:

Who is Eric and what is his e-address? If he is the source, can we cut out Lee's Razors?

Before this thread started, my intention had been to buy a Mergress from Lee's and then sell my Progress - but now I think if the loss on selling is about the same or worse than the postage to Eric ......

What puzzles me is that when you go on the Lee's Razors website the Megress (all 3 models) seem to be permantley sold out (I have been looking for a few months now) and yet there are reviews dated in March of this year so it seems people are still getting their hands on them .
Who is Cooncatbob ? , I found a thread on B&B stating that he made and sold nickel and wood knobs for the Progress .
Is this the same person as Bob's Razor works ?

Derrick

Bechet45 said:

I think his name is Mer on B&B. If you look at the Mergress thread and just PM him, he's always quick to reply.

You can cut out Lee's razors. You can also get Eric to paint your ring in any colour you want if you go direct. By cutting out I mean buy one from a US vendor, then send it to Eric.

The Geordie Shaver said:
Bechet45 said:

What puzzles me is that when you go on the Lee's Razors website the Megress (all 3 models) seem to be permantley sold out (I have been looking for a few months now) and yet there are reviews dated in March of this year so it seems people are still getting their hands on them .
Who is Cooncatbob ? , I found a thread on B&B stating that he made and sold nickel and wood knobs for the Progress .
Is this the same person as Bob's Razor works ?

Derrick

They sell out quickly when Lee's razors gets a batch.

Cooncatbob is Mr Bob's razor works.

Eric won't sell you a complete mergress, he has a deal with lee's for the sale of complete razors. He will convert you existing razor directly.

I contacted bob, and he sent pics of the knobs he sells, there is one the looks similar to the mergress one.$30 plus $6 for shipping.

What's annoying is Eric's conversion is quite reasonably priced, but the return postage kills it.

Back
Top Bottom