Progress Megress Knob

Hi, mates!

I have been always curious about Mergress phenomenon... I owned some time ago a Progress Long razor that I didn't like much... too aggressive for my skin and I must used it with care to avoid irritation&blood even in lower dials... I changed it for a Futur and I prefer it by far: better constructed and balanced, and I get smoother and closer shaves.

So for those who own a Mergress and have tested a Progress before, does it have something which makes it a better razor with better shaves appart from the metal knob or is only a matter of aesthetics?

Cheers!

Sir_eider said:
Hi, mates!

I have been always curious about Mergress phenomenon... I owned some time ago a Progress Long razor that I didn't like much... too aggressive for my skin and I must used it with care to avoid irritation&blood even in lower dials... I changed it for a Futur and I prefer it by far: better constructed and balanced, and I get smoother and closer shaves.

So for those who own a Mergress and have tested a Progress before, does it have something which makes it a better razor with better shaves appart from the metal knob or is only a matter of aesthetics?

Cheers!

Had a Mergress and sold it on. It was ok. Later I acquired a Progress and actually prefer it. Balance maybe? I suppose the Mer looks a little better but no biggie. I am not interested in comparing settings so that is pretty much it.

But the difference in price is in the back of the mind.

I have the progress as my only razor, and every morning I wonder why Merkur decided to use a cheap-looking plastic knob.

Having said that, it has proven to be an excellent razor for me. I have been DE shaving for around a year and, besides the first two months, it has been the only razor I have used.

I would be interested to hear from those who have used both the Progress and the Mergress. Is there much difference between the two?

Well, that's easy then, innit?

I knew I shouldn't have but I did anyway - story of my life! - and used my Progress this morning. Can't see detail without my glasses but managed to set the thing to '3'. It felt a tad aggressive but I put that down to the razor rash from heavy handed straight shaving on Monday.

Later, with glasses on, I realised I'd shaved with the Progress effectively set at '5.5' because the dial is not calibrated correctly - the first position is 2.5 stops to the left of the mark. I'd forgotten that!

Then I received an email from Lee saying he had Mergresses in stock. Turned out he did not have long handled versions in stock so I bought an XL - short handled Progress with a long Mergress knob, thinking it would do. What I'd really like is a long handled Progress with a long Mergress knob, so ...

The Progress I have needs calibrating correctly and if I could get that one apart then I could fit the Mergress knob to it when it arrives and the Progress knob to the short handled razor ex-Lee. That would give me the Mergress I want and a short handled Progress to sell or PIF.

Getting them apart is somewhat obvious with the razor in hand so my Progress is now correctly calibrated and the aggressiveness taken out of it, awaiting delivery of a Mergress razor.

Happy bunny! Bet there aren't many Mergresses like mine is going to be - a long handled XL.

The Geordie Shaver said:
Who is Cooncatbob ? , I found a thread on B&B stating that he made and sold nickel and wood knobs for the Progress .
Is this the same person as Bob's Razor works ?

Derrick
Same person, Cooncatbob=Bob, of Bob's Razorworks. ;)

Bechet45 said:
Well, that's easy then, innit?

I knew I shouldn't have but I did anyway - story of my life! - and used my Progress this morning. Can't see detail without my glasses but managed to set the thing to '3'. It felt a tad aggressive but I put that down to the razor rash from heavy handed straight shaving on Monday.

Later, with glasses on, I realised I'd shaved with the Progress effectively set at '5.5' because the dial is not calibrated correctly - the first position is 2.5 stops to the left of the mark. I'd forgotten that!

Then I received an email from Lee saying he had Mergresses in stock. Turned out he did not have long handled versions in stock so I bought an XL - short handled Progress with a long Mergress knob, thinking it would do. What I'd really like is a long handled Progress with a long Mergress knob, so ...

The Progress I have needs calibrating correctly and if I could get that one apart then I could fit the Mergress knob to it when it arrives and the Progress knob to the short handled razor ex-Lee. That would give me the Mergress I want and a short handled Progress to sell or PIF.

Getting them apart is somewhat obvious with the razor in hand so my Progress is now correctly calibrated and the aggressiveness taken out of it, awaiting delivery of a Mergress razor.

Happy bunny! Bet there aren't many Mergresses like mine is going to be - a long handled XL.

You can calibrate it yourself by setting the 0 mark to zero if that makes sense. Pretty sure details are in one of Mantic59's videos. It's simple.

Bechet45 said:

Shows how much I know! The Mergress arrived this morning - short handle with a long knob - and it looks the bizzo! Feels like it, too! Anyway, it is exactly the same length as the long handled Progress but feels better because the Mergress knob is rounded where the plastic Progress knob has sharp edges and corners.

All this means that I won't be swapping knobs - I'll just sell the long handled Progress as is (re-calibrated to zero).

The Mergress plain looks and feels 100//5 better than Merkur's original effort.

Back
Top Bottom