Progress nob

Right then... I'm going to try to get through this reply without in descending into Frankie Howerd territory. The Progress is one of the few razors on my 'to buy' list, I had one years ago but lent it permanently to my brother in law as I wasn't satisfied with it's length (stop it). When I do get the long handled version I intend to paint in the numbers and markers etc. and I was wondering what, if anything, to do with the knob (ooh no, please... titter ye not).

Over at B&B there's a thread by someone who actually used dye to change the colour of their knob. If I find it, I'll post a link but it seems like the best and most permanent way of altering it. If that's what takes your fancy... (Oh, well, please yourself).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/44495-Improve-look-of-Merkur-Progress

Found it!

Exapno said:
Right then... I'm going to try to get through this reply without in descending into Frankie Howerd territory. The Progress is one of the few razors on my 'to buy' list, I had one years ago but lent it permanently to my brother in law as I wasn't satisfied with it's length (stop it). When I do get the long handled version I intend to paint in the numbers and markers etc. and I was wondering what, if anything, to do with the knob (ooh no, please... titter ye not).

Over at B&B there's a thread by someone who actually used dye to change the colour of their knob. If I find it, I'll post a link but it seems like the best and most permanent way of altering it. If that's what takes your fancy... (Oh, well, please yourself).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/44495-Improve-look-of-Merkur-Progress

Found it!

I've got a long one too !

Sorry, Carl. :blush:

Honestly, just leave it alone. I like it how it is and too much mucking around with it will only spoil it and devalue it. Ok, for you the knob is not the best but the rest of the razor obviously really works for you so don't risk owt by making a bodge of it. If you must have something done about it, get on the waiting list for a Mergress and sell the unadulterated Progress once the Mergress is with you. They do occasionally come up for sale in the various BSTs of the shaving forum world as you well know. Leave your knob alone, you'll only cause irreversible damage! Stop tryin' tae ca' the heid aff it!

At the end of the day I hate my yucky coloured nob on the Progress too ,but, I decided to put up with it , I had no option , I was sending e-mail's to Bob ,but, sadly he had passed away , I was trying to get a new metal nob .
I know Ikon also did them at one time aswell .
For some reason I could not bring myself to pull out all that dosh for a Megress so as I say , I put up with it .

Derrick

The symbols can be painted with enamel paint, I've read lots of posts where people have done it themselves. When I finally do get a long handled progress, if I'm successful with the dye approach and painting the numbers and symbols, I'll do yours for free NTS. That's right, I'll dye your knob and paint your shaft.

I might not be getting a progress for a while though.

Buy a long handled Mergress Stig. You will love it. And the plastic adjustment mechanism on the original wont seem so bad when you have a long, shiny alteration facilitator to hand. Honestly, I kept the Progress and use it as a travel razor.

But you have to get the XL. Trust me.

Do they do a short handle one? I have only just measured my Progress and it's 9.5cm/4" from end to start of the head (more double entendre!) so not sure if it's the long or short version I have.

Thanks. Interesting and the knurled handles look great!
Maybe I will get a Mergress when one comes up in the UK. I know I've missed a few in the last few months. I'll have to sell the Progress and a few others...

The only reason that you can only get them in the States is because no one (that I know of) in the UK or EU is doing it. It would take someone with the mechanical and engineering experience, the machinery and materials and the time to do it. It's not impossible. Maybe someone should ask Rafael at UFO but I suspect he's busy enough making his own handles. The Progress modified by Elite Razors was apparently a one off as it was too time consuming. Anyone on here with the sort of skills necessary..? Someone recently retired from Rolls Royce or something like that..?

Would be a good if there were someone. Mergresses do come up on here occasionally. I'll sell a few bits on B/S/T and ringfence the proceeds for when one comes up.

Back
Top Bottom