Quick poll of blade use

NotTheStig said:
If I only used one blade per shave I'd only have enough blades in my stockpile to last nine years. usually do 3 per blade.

Interesting, are you still adding to that stock pile? Do you know something I don't - has manufacturing of DE blades stopped!

NotTheStig said:
usually do 3 per blade.

Well, I'm getting two days from each blade, I flip it at the end of the shave, so it lasts the two days. I'm on day two now, so I'll flip intermittently tomorrow and see how it goes.

Tall_Paul said:
I never used to, but I now dip the head of my razor into Barbicide for 5 mins at the end of each shave then push the razor head against a towel to dry it off (on each side) and this seems to prolong blade life.

What does the barbicide do exactly, why not olive oil*, why one and not the other or both?

* I've no idea what the olive oil is meant to do either

eneville said:
What does the barbicide do exactly, why not olive oil*, why one and not the other or both?

Barbicide kills bacteria and disinfects razors and/or blades. It was used in barber shops to clean instruments between customers.

I have no idea what olive oil is supposed to do either.

Re: RE: Quick poll of blade use

eneville said:
NotTheStig said:
If I only used one blade per shave I'd only have enough blades in my stockpile to last nine years. usually do 3 per blade.

Interesting, are you still adding to that stock pile? Do you know something I don't - has manufacturing of DE blades stopped!

NotTheStig said:
usually do 3 per blade.

Well, I'm getting two days from each blade, I flip it at the end of the shave, so it lasts the two days. I'm on day two now, so I'll flip intermittently tomorrow and see how it goes.
I'm still adding but at a much slower rate. Trading, selling and trying out vintage

eneville said:
Just another angle on the same question, how many uses would you get from a Gillette Fusion/Mach 3 blade (just for cost comparison reasons)?

I used to get 5 uses from a Sensor before it dragged. I never moved "up" to the Mach 3 or the Fusion so I wouldn't know but I think 5-7 uses is about average.
Vinny reckons on 20+ uses for the Fusion Proglide, I'm not sure that's all that typical though.

Canuck said:
I used to get 5 uses from a Sensor before it dragged. I never moved "up" to the Mach 3 or the Fusion so I wouldn't know but I think 5-7 uses is about average.
Vinny reckons on 20+ uses for the Fusion Proglide, I'm not sure that's all that typical though.

Vinny: Do you get much razor burn when you get 20 uses from the cartridge?

Anyone else remember what they get from the cartridge blades?

RobTheWire said:
eneville said:
Anyone else remember what they get from the cartridge blades?

5 shaves from Mach 3 before the burn, and i never got a bbs shave not once :icon_sad:.

5 shaves, I suppose that's not too bad. I'm surprised though, I'd have thought that more blades mean more chances of the first-to-blunt tugging, I also thought they jammed easier which should mean the blade becomes more prone to the stubble slapping around more on the blades. Am I looking at it wrong? Does a DE blade take more strain as the cutting action isn't distributed?

I've seen the acronym BBS used here a few times already but I don't know what it means. To me BBS means Bulletin Board System, which is a very, very old (mostly) single user system for transferring messages and files, but I don't know what BBS means in the shaving world.

eneville said:
I don't know what BBS means in the shaving world.

It stands for Baby's Bottom Smooth, the ultimate finish for many shavers.

As for why multi blade cartridges last a bit longer, it's mainly because each blade is only ever doing one pass, (cartridge users usually just lather up and shave just the once) whereas your DE blades have to do 2 or three passes each so they get blunt quicker. Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom