Quick poll of blade use

Thanks everyone for your replies - had three days of use out of my blade, but it's my birthday tomorrow so I'll be setting the counter to zero and see how much I get from a Laser Platinum.

eneville said:
Canuck said:
I used to get 5 uses from a Sensor before it dragged. I never moved "up" to the Mach 3 or the Fusion so I wouldn't know but I think 5-7 uses is about average.
Vinny reckons on 20+ uses for the Fusion Proglide, I'm not sure that's all that typical though.

Vinny: Do you get much razor burn when you get 20 uses from the cartridge?

Anyone else remember what they get from the cartridge blades?

A Proglide cartridge easily sees me through a month of shaving. That's daily face shaves and twice a week head shaves. Fair dues, I only ever do one pass.

No razor burn.

Usually 2-3 shaves for me depending on the blade. And i usually shave every day and if i have time twice a day (grows quickly...)

Used to use Mach3 and went through a pack of four a week, think they cost a fiver or so at the time so the saving for DE blades even if i go through 7 a week is tremendous.

Yeah, time for a word on the BBS thing I think.

Whilst some people say that BBS stands for "baby's bottom smooth", more discerning shavers may prefer "billard ball smooth". In either case, it's a snare and a delusion, which has been responsible for more cases of razor burn than just about anything else. The idea is that you can't feel any stubble at all when you run a hand over your face, in any direction. There's a few problems with this.

Firstly, groping one's face in order to check for smoothness isn't particularly good for the skin - Tony's commented on this before now - and isn't called "faceturbation" for nothing. Give yourself an appreciative feeling up when you slap on the aftershave then leave it alone, that's my advice. Secondly, a man's face is in no way similar to either a cue ball or the quieter end of an infant in the usual run of things, and if it feels that smooth it's a racing certainty that it won't stay that way for long.

And finally, there's the matter of what it takes to achieve this level of clean-shavenness. (You hear stories from some of the straight razor crowd about getting a BBS shave from a single pass, and I'm pretty sure that I've done it. Not 100% sure you note, because I'd probably been knocking back the absinthe at the time). Anyway ... you need a either a DE with a very sharp blade or a cut throat in excellent fettle, and a pretty slick technique; furthermore you're going to have to work against the growth (ATG) or do multiple passes across it. This is a recipe for irritation, rashes and general unpleasantness if you do it on a daily basis. Far, far better to go for a nice, comfortable shave day to day, and maybe pull the stops out for weddings, funerals and court appearances.

So, edging back towards the matter in hand: a new sharp blade will generally give a closer shave, but it'll probably be more pleasant to shave with second time around. Some blades, usually old ones, deteriorate gracefully and will give you half a dozen good shaves, whilst others die suddenly and become horrible to use mid shave. Feathers are an example of the latter in my experience, a real 2 1/2 day blade.

Ergo: if you really want your face to be like a billiard ball, use a two day old blade or a cut throat which has been stropped a few times to get those demons out of it. Either way: cultivate a very light touch.

I've been lucky of late in that almost all my shaves have been very clean and enjoyable(except for the one that I caught an edge and sliced a wedge of skin off, my fault). I usually keep shaving till I don't hear or feel a hair standing. Must have fairly tuff skin as I don't think my technique is that outstanding. I shave usually lasts me into the nite.

To be honest and im just getting started but i change the blade for every shave - the blades i tend to use are Lord Platinum's and Wilkinson swords so not expensive to begin with

Excellent post Andy

Arrowhead said:
... Anyway ... you need a either a DE with a very sharp blade or a cut throat in excellent fettle, and a pretty slick technique; furthermore you're going to have to work against the growth (ATG) or do multiple passes across it. This is a recipe for irritation, rashes and general unpleasantness if you do it on a daily basis. Far, far better to go for a nice, comfortable shave day to day, and maybe pull the stops out for weddings, funerals and court appearances.

Are you suggesting that shaving WTG, XTG, ATG daily is bad? Would WTG and two XTG passes in either direction be better rather than ATG? I often feel that ATG picks up a bit more than other directions.

Back
Top Bottom