random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

I have kept them as found. I unscrewed the lid and they both smell good and haven't gone flaky or hard.

Do you fancy uploading some photos of yours?

I have quite a few Imperial Leather items as they are cheap and ubiquitous. Yeah I have a few NOS Erasmic sticks too! Haven't used any IL or Erasmic ones, but I did buy a Cussons shaving soap with a broken celluloid bowl and used that a few times. Very nice! And I have a 1970s Imperial Leather shaving stick in use occasionally. Not as much cushioning as I'd like but not bad.

I have a Palmolive menthol shaving stick still wrapped in foil and boxed. there's still a hint of menthol! I reckon 1950s or 1960s.
I can upload photos if you're interested as I did my first full 'stock take' last month which included photos. Sometimes several items in one photo as I have quite a lot of "shaving crap" as @dodgy would call it :)
yea ill post some pics when i get a chance

yea upload them, im sure everyone woud love to see

the cussons aftershave i gto isnt tht strong but not sure if thats the way it is ordue to its old age?

I didn't expect to start a vintage shave cream roller coaster, lol. Ah well. Here's another from my collection that is actually usable. I'm not a menthol fan, so it will likely remain in this condition until my heirs throw it away.

If I lived in the U.K., I'd probably figure out a way to trade it to one of you Ingram's fiends for a razor.
View attachment 98777
looks like a tub of vicks lool

You have access to TOBS, DR Harris, GFT, and T&H creams. Even Speick and Tabac. Why would you want a Turkish cream with sodium borate in the ingredients?

Their Kolonyas are great, but their creams are poor.
I have that cream. Ebay and Amazon sell it. It isn't shaving cream. It's hand/skin cream.

I just realised the razors photos above I meant to upload to the "Show us all the razors you have to shave with" thread.
Could someone move the two posts I made, above? Posts nos. 292 and 293
@Boab or another mod?

And while we're at it how could i forget this?
Although technically it doesn't fit the brief as I intend not to shave with it as it is (described as) unused!
PXL_20221230_102820024.jpg

On the matter of half-DE razors, I'm left with the impression that the blade has a life of one, or at most two sessions before it becomes unpleasant to use and needs changing. My own feeling is that this is because the one edge sees all the action, whereas in my set 3-day DE blade life in a DE razor, both get used, roughly equally. I'm too old and idle to want to change a razor blade daily, even for the modest economies obtained.
I find the opposite. Two half blades lasts longer for me than the same double edge. I imagine that the edge deteriorates/ages once it's been used. The coatings get worn off after two shaves.
I had an experiment a few years ago. Using a double edge razor with duct tape on one side of the head, I shaved using only the one side and had six or seven shaves (dependent on which blade). Then the same number again with other side. Certainly more than using both sides with each shave.

I find the opposite. Two half blades lasts longer for me than the same double edge. I imagine that the edge deteriorates/ages once it's been used. The coatings get worn off after two shaves.
I had an experiment a few years ago. Using a double edge razor with duct tape on one side of the head, I shaved using only the one side and had six or seven shaves (dependent on which blade). Then the same number again with other side. Cer totainly more than using both sides with e atach shave.
An interesting experiment and outcome!

Paul.

Nice collection, love it

What I like about your collection is that the packaging in most as are still in good shape, obviously with vintage stuff most the time understandably the boxes get all tatty

@NotTheStig here's some of my shaving sticks, from what I understand they're all discontinued and also I think the easy shaving stick is the oldest not sure on the year, maybe someone will know?

Also don't know which erasmic is the older version or if they're the same just different colour packaging, again maybe someone will know?

Got the NOS old spice shaving soap in the mug which I'm yet to use

IMG_20230113_142107.jpg

@donnie_arko @pjgh hey you guys mentioned lea and the different tallow ones compared to the newer ones in a post I saw recently, any idea which one I've got?

Wanted to ask is lea shaving stick classed as a hard soap? I ask as when I used it I did put a dent in it and that doesn't happen with the likes of arko etc

IMG_20230113_142243.jpg
IMG_20230113_142209.jpg

Btw as a headshaver I love shaving sticks, I was wondering is there anywhere I can get shaving sticks from like high street stores etc? Never seem to see any apart from online or maybe I haven't been to the right shops?

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_142243.jpg
    IMG_20230113_142243.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 4
@NotTheStig here's some of my shaving sticks, from what I understand they're all discontinued and also I think the easy shaving stick is the oldest not sure on the year, maybe someone will know?

Also don't know which erasmic is the older version or if they're the same just different colour packaging, again maybe someone will know?

Got the NOS old spice shaving soap in the mug which I'm yet to use

View attachment 98887

@donnie_arko @pjgh hey you guys mentioned lea and the different tallow ones compared to the newer ones in a post I saw recently, any idea which one I've got?

Wanted to ask is lea shaving stick classed as a hard soap? I ask as when I used it I did put a dent in it and that doesn't happen with the likes of arko etc

View attachment 98889
View attachment 98891

Btw as a headshaver I love shaving sticks, I was wondering is there anywhere I can get shaving sticks from like high street stores etc? Never seem to see any apart from online or maybe I haven't been to the right shops?

You've got the most recent formulation, which is excellent. I find the Lea stick to be rock hard, I'm not sure why you are finding it is going down quicker than Arko.

AFAIK the shaving stick can no longer be bought in UK high street retailers. A few years ago, the majority of the ones you pictured were sold by chemists and other retailers.

Reactions: saj
You've got the most recent formulation, which is excellent. I find the Lea stick to be rock hard, I'm not sure why you are finding it is going down quicker than Arko.

AFAIK the shaving stick can no longer be bought in UK high street retailers. A few years ago, the majority of the ones you pictured were sold by chemists and other retailers.
Yea it is excellent I love it, I got that from Amazon so explain why it's the latest formula like you said

Thats a shame, wonder why though?

I think sticks are the best value for money plus good for travelling too

Not used the Tabac sticks yet but I understand it's the same thing as the tallow soap in the bowl

Back
Top Bottom