random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

Yea it is excellent I love it, I got that from Amazon so explain why it's the latest formula like you said

Thats a shame, wonder why though?

I think sticks are the best value for money plus good for travelling too

Not used the Tabac sticks yet but I understand it's the same thing as the tallow soap in the bowl

I imagine poor sales and also the main manufacturer of tallow shaving soaps that made tallow Tabac, Palmolive, Speick, Wilkinson Sword closed down.

Like yourself I'm a fan of the shaving stick.

@saj re. the black background Erasmic, I bought a matching bowl version in the early 2010s. Don't know what age the red version is, but as of this week thanks to a kind forum member I now have one of these sticks!

Yes I actually have a few packs of NOS blades which I intend never to open. Recently, on a pack of Schick blades with a (c) 1990 date on it, the plastic blister part came clean off as the glue had aged. Rather than use this as an excuse to use the blades I glued it back together!
Generally with old stuff that is a consumable I won't use it unless it's something I've never tried or it's already open.

I imagine poor sales and also the main manufacturer of tallow shaving soaps that made tallow Tabac, Palmolive, Speick, Wilkinson Sword closed down.

Like yourself I'm a fan of the shaving stick.
Yea I mean if these Palmolive stick were like 50p or even a quid makes you wonder how much they were making on them?

What's best ones you tried? I haven't used la toja or special yet

@saj re. the black background Erasmic, I bought a matching bowl version in the early 2010s. Don't know what age the red version is, but as of this week thanks to a kind forum member I now have one of these sticks!

Yes I actually have a few packs of NOS blades which I intend never to open. Recently, on a pack of Schick blades with a (c) 1990 date on it, the plastic blister part came clean off as the glue had aged. Rather than use this as an excuse to use the blades I glued it back together!
Generally with old stuff that is a consumable I won't use it unless it's something I've never tried or it's already open.
The red stick I tried and I liked it

Any pics if the erasmic shaving soap and bowl? Not seen it before

Would probably say Arko is the best in terms of performance, and I've tried Derby, palmolive, Blueness (loved that and it smelt good too), La Toja and Lea. The artificial lemon smell of Arko is quite a Marmite thing.
Derby is similar but with what I think is more like artificial lime. It's a harder soap too.
Some people have likened Arko to a urinal cake smell.
I'm sure Vinny (not Joe) Mcclaine on this forum once said, with facetious logic, 'what's wrong with that? Urinal cakes are there to make a nice smell'. I'm paraphrasing.
I guess it's okay as long as you remember it's the kind of cake you don't want to eat.

Reactions: saj
The red stick I tried and I liked it

Any pics if the erasmic shaving soap and bowl? Not seen it before
Crap photo but it is in the one I posted earlier in this thread of the vintage shaving soaps and 4711.
Zoomed and cropped it below as I don't have it to hand to take a better photo Screenshot_20230113-212007.png
For comparison, below is the one I picked up a few weeks ago:
Screenshot_20230113-212212.png

No I am saving the vintage one for a rainy decade! It has a paper sticker seal around it.
I have the matching boxed shaving cream too. From what I remember it is very good

No trouble at all. I bought mine from a seller in India. Think I bought it alongside a tube of VI-John. Like you, I love trying shaving creams from other countries.

Thought I'd reply to you in this thread as don't want to derail that thread

What other products you tried from other countries?

I'll send you something from the den in return too mate thanks

Would probably say Arko is the best in terms of performance, and I've tried Derby, palmolive, Blueness (loved that and it smelt good too), La Toja and Lea. The artificial lemon smell of Arko is quite a Marmite thing.
Derby is similar but with what I think is more like artificial lime. It's a harder soap too.
Some people have likened Arko to a urinal cake smell.
I'm sure Vinny (not Joe) Mcclaine on this forum once said, with facetious logic, 'what's wrong with that? Urinal cakes are there to make a nice smell'. I'm paraphrasing.
I guess it's okay as long as you remember it's the kind of cake you don't want to eat.
Sorry forgot to reply to your post

I used that easy shaving stick, God knows what year it was from but it's really good and I'm impressed, pleasant scent with really good lather, only thing I found like the lea one shave and it puts a dent in it but I'm not shy with products lool

hey so say for example you need to shave your hair but youre expecting a new razor, what do you guys do in this situation? wait for the new razor or just shave it off asap with existing gear? lol

btw anyone else put off shaving in the colder winter months?

i defo prefer shaving in summer but i dont know if thats because im a headshaver, how do you headshavers and face shavers feel about this?

btw anyone else put off shaving in the colder winter months?

i defo prefer shaving in summer but i dont know if thats because im a headshaver, how do you headshavers and face shavers feel about this?
If the bathroom is on the cool side my shave will be done in a flash but it would not prevent me from shaving.
When the temperature is right then I will spend time, me time and have a relaxing shave.

Paul.

If the bathroom is on the cool side my shave will be done in a flash but it would not prevent me from shaving.
When the temperature is right then I will spend time, me time and have a relaxing shave.

Paul.
i dont mind any frarances all year round but i noticed i prefer shaving in the summer or when its okay weather, obviously have the heating on but its not the same

you given your new blackland razor a whizz yet? look nice the whole blackland razors range

i dont mind any frarances all year round but i noticed i prefer shaving in the summer or when its okay weather, obviously have the heating on but its not the same

you given your new blackland razor a whizz yet? look nice the whole blackland razors range
Yes, I had a shave with it last night, see SOTD.
A fantastic shave!

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom