razor recommendations

We have different shaving goals then. Yours is to get BBS smooth. Mine is to have an enjoyable and comfortable shave.

I understand.

But I do enjoy my shaves immensely, especially since getting off carts.

Perhaps you could get closer shaves, still irritation free, going AGT with a much more mild or forgiving razor?

I understand.

But I do enjoy my shaves immensely, especially since getting off carts.

Perhaps you could get closer shaves, still irritation free, going AGT with a much more mild or forgiving razor?
I can get an irritation free shave going against the grain with any razor. But I pay for it with ingrown hairs two days later. Makes me look like a teenage acne commercial.
(Edit: Even with a Blue Tip, as I learned the last time I tried an ATG shave).
Where's the Schick Krona?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
@Darkbulb mentioned it some posts back.

Last edited:
What all the fuss is about this razor recommendation.
Get any old straight razor and you are ready to go.

I think a newbie coming from carts or electrics would do better starting with SE's or DE's rather than jumping right into the deep end with straights. Don't want to traumatize the poor guy...

ATG ATC XTC.... The shave result with a DE can be better than with a Fusion. But not without acquiring the proper technique - and a halfway aggressive razor. With my mild razor 34C my shaves were all worse than with the Cartridges.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

You guys always deviate from the topic, and no moderator screams for discipline.... I like that about this forum:)

But it rases a question indeed, now that some SE's are and will be available as new: Should a SE razor be recommended instead of a DE razor - for a beginner?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Don't mention the off topic bit B, we try to get back before they notice ! And yes, discovering SEs changed my shaving world after over 50 yrs wet shaving. I wish I'd had one when I was 14.
And, truthfully Len, based on my personal experience I'd probably still recommend an EJ 89 irrespective of the new price cap. I say that because despite my having used and owned many DEs I've still got my 89 whilst most if the rest were given away. Dave's correct of course, it's not so much mild as forgiving imo. Interesting to see the suggestions popping up.

JohnnyO. o/

Because it's posted in the DE razors forum? ;)

(Oops..one of my recommendations was a SE...)
I have recommended to people that they stick with their cartridge razor for a while and change to soap and brush and proper prep and post care first. After all, even I can get a great shave with a cartridge razor - even if it is a bit joyless.
No point in throwing a brand new Gillette Flexball and 20 cartridges into the bin. (Should anyone consider doing this, send them to me instead for responsible disposal) :p

I have recommended to people that they stick with their cartridge razor for a while and change to soap and brush and proper prep and post care first. After all, even I can get a great shave with a cartridge razor - even if it is a bit joyless.
No point in throwing a brand new Gillette Flexball and 20 cartridges into the bin. (Should anyone consider doing this, send them to me instead for responsible disposal) :p

Love my cartridge razors - modern and vintage.
Hm, I might pull out a Wilkinson Protector tomorrow..
Mixing it up in shaving is part of the fun! :)

What exactly is a Cartridge Razor please?

Just think of a Gillette Sensor, Mach 3 or Flexball Gerry. We call them cartridge razors, or carts for Australian, because the blades are mounted in a disposable , throwaway cartridge whilst the handle is retained. Always very handy to have one for throwing in the overnight bag for a quick trip. Many members on here use them regularly.

JohnnyO. o/

I agree that price is usually a consideration for a razor recommendation. My first razor was a DE89 that was a gift from my wife and it is in my DOPP kit to this day. I don't give a rip that it is Zamak. It does what it was designed to do, remove whiskers. I have given razors to newbies before, such as a Krona, Flare Tip, and a New LC. With proper instruction, any one of these razors will work just fine. I think we tend to take ourselves too seriously. It's just shaving, it isn't rocket science. Have fun!

@Dave-the-rave this one's for you[emoji1]

270fefcfda7703e90b80834377ca22e3.jpg

That's...very nice. It's...yeah thanks. :D

Back
Top Bottom