razor recommendations

You guys always deviate from the topic, and no moderator screams for discipline.... I like that about this forum:)

But it rases a question indeed, now that some SE's are and will be available as new: Should a SE razor be recommended instead of a DE razor - for a beginner?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Personally, that would be part of my 'money is no object' for a newbie question. DE's/SE's... Anything goes...

What I like about SE's for a newbie is that it seems a whole lot easier to get the angle correct right from the start.

A lot of these are cheaper options... Nothing wrong with that, but, what if money were no object? Something that is both attainable and usable for the newbie, but at a price cap of $400...

Would your answers change, stay the same?
They would change. User grade open comb TTO Aristocrat + replating. High end Two-Band badger (Shavemac or equivalent). Semogue 620 or 830 boar, and a nice selection of Kiss my Face shaving creams.
If I were cornered and asked to recommend a 'starter' razor I would probably break it down into six categories;

Vintage
1) < $15
2) $16-$50
3) $51+

Modern/New
4) < $15
5) $16-$50
6) $51+

The above because some people love vintage, some dislike it and find it 'yucky' to buy a used razor and some people don't care either way. Another reason for the categories is price sensitivity. There are people that want to get something inexpensive but good - all the way to people that want 'the best current razor there is, money no object'.

So I think context is also important when providing a razor recommendation.
(There are of course more dimensions such as weight, handle length, etc, etc - but these two would be a good start)

My own recommendations for the categories above would be something like;

1) GEM Featherweight (SE blades are really not scary or hard to use and this is a very easy to use razor)
2) Schick Krona (amazingly mild yet efficient razor. I think it would make a great intro-razor)
3) If you're willing to spend big money right off the bat on a vintage razor I'd say go for a higher-end vintage Gillette

4) Wilkinson Sword Classic
5) EJ DE89 (it was my first razor so a bit biased maybe but I really rather like it. Also almost fool proof)
6) Pils 101NE (big, great quality, will last you a life time, mild enough to not scare you away and will give you a close shave)

All the above is of course super subjective.
Curious to see what other people would recommend into those six slots.
1) Tech
2) 60's style Super Speed
3) A pre-1940's Gillette TTO razor.
4) Weishi TTO
5) Mehaz TTO
6) Rockwell S6

They would change. User grade open comb TTO Aristocrat + replating. High end Two-Band badger (Shavemac or equivalent). Semogue 620 or 830 boar, and a nice selection of Kiss my Face shaving creams.

1) Tech
2) 60's style Super Speed
3) A pre-1940's Gillette TTO razor.
4) Weishi TTO
5) Mehaz TTO
6) Rockwell S6

I had no idea there was a Mehaz razor. Looks a bit Weishiesque no?

Giesen&Forsthoff also sold the Weishi under their own name - so it didn't made him a Solingen product. Same thing applies for the Dovo Shavette, which you also get inder different names for a fraction of the price. But now I am deviating.

Increasing the price doesn't make the weishi razor better, though. Not saying it is a bad razor.

My recommendations for
1-Gillette Flaretip
2-Rotbart Mond Extra 15
3-Rotbart Mond Extra 15 (NOS)

4-ebay R89 knockoff
5-EJ89
6-Merkur Progress

Cheers, Olaf

Reactions: Len
I had no idea there was a Mehaz razor. Looks a bit Weishiesque no?
It's definitely a Weishi product. It's a bit better quality than Weishi's own brand razors. They could make razors the equal of anything Gillette ever put out, provided the customer was willing to pay for that level of quality...and quality control.
IMG_1013.jpg

Here are some comparison pictures to a '60's style Super Speed:
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1017.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg

See you're all mostly going with the mild thing as if it's somehow written in stone. A starter razor doesn't have to be mild, just cheap. Cheap because the beginner doesn't know what they want, need or prefer so will probably try a few. The learning curve is the same so they'll master whatever they start with.

This notion that aggressive is best left for the experienced shaver is guff. Incidentally the EJ is actually not as mild as it's reputation suggests. I'd call it middle of the road so not necessarily a bad starting point. An adjustable is also not a bad idea if it's cheap as TTO's aren't for everybody. I don't like them myself. I like a thinner top cap.

See you're all mostly going with the mild thing as if it's somehow written in stone. A starter razor doesn't have to be mild, just cheap. Cheap because the beginner doesn't know what they want, need or prefer so will probably try a few. The learning curve is the same so they'll master whatever they start with.

This notion that aggressive is best left for the experienced shaver is guff. Incidentally the EJ is actually not as mild as it's reputation suggests. I'd call it middle of the road so not necessarily a bad starting point. An adjustable is also not a bad idea if it's cheap as TTO's aren't for everybody. I don't like them myself. I like a thinner top cap.
Between the Tech and Super Speed/Rocket, I don't think a person could go wrong with either recommendation. Gillette produced both of those designs, largely unchanged, for the better part of half a century. I would define both designs as medium to mild, and suitable for the vast majority of shavers.

I agree that price is usually a consideration for a razor recommendation. My first razor was a DE89 that was a gift from my wife and it is in my DOPP kit to this day. I don't give a rip that it is Zamak. It does what it was designed to do, remove whiskers. I have given razors to newbies before, such as a Krona, Flare Tip, and a New LC. With proper instruction, any one of these razors will work just fine. I think we tend to take ourselves too seriously. It's just shaving, it isn't rocket science. Have fun!

@Dave-the-rave this one's for you[emoji1]

270fefcfda7703e90b80834377ca22e3.jpg

mild is meaningless if you go buy skin type. throw in skin type and even a weishi can be as aggressive as a fat boy on 9 if you don't lather right. or use a decent blade.

mild is meaningless if you go buy skin type. throw in skin type and even a weishi can be as aggressive as a fat boy on 9 if you don't lather right. or use a decent blade.
Very few people actually have sensitive skin. There's plenty of people who carry that assumption over from their cartridge days, when the fact of the matter is that dragging five blades across one's face at one time is an unnatural act. I was one of those who thought I had sensitive skin...until I stopped shaving against the grain. Suddenly I could do a five or six pass shave without irritation (though I rarely do more than two + touchups).

Very few people actually have sensitive skin. There's plenty of people who carry that assumption over from their cartridge days, when the fact of the matter is that dragging five blades across one's face at one time is an unnatural act. I was one of those who thought I had sensitive skin...until I stopped shaving against the grain. Suddenly I could do a five or six pass shave without irritation (though I rarely do more than two + touchups).

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't get BBS close unless I go AGT.

Matter of fact, 1 AGT pass +touch-ups is all I need.

Back
Top Bottom