razor recommendations

Well silly old me thought you were talking about this forum because, guess why - you were posting in this forum. I don't even know - or care - what a custom title is. As you point out, we don't have 'em here.

However, as the thread was getting back on topic, may I suggest we leave it to do so?

The problem with all that 'real' shaving hardware is that you cannot get it in a drug store.

At least you have to dive into the amazonas and try to fish something out... And there are also wrotten fish in it...

And the feather popular you would also have to get online, and it's not so much cheaper than a new Parker Butterfly.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

A lot of these are cheaper options... Nothing wrong with that, but, what if money were no object? Something that is both attainable and usable for the newbie, but at a price cap of $400...

Would your answers change, stay the same?

A lot of these are cheaper options... Nothing wrong with that, but, what if money were no object?

Well, cheap is relative. 40-70€ is imho not really cheap, and for some people might not be affordable.

A weishi knock-off for 1,89€ shipped, that would be cheap.

Anyway, I cannot see the point in getting an expensive razor like one of these US type stainless steel for a beginner, and not sure there are any dor more than 200,- anyway.

Unless you got a Porsche Boxter as your first car for 18. birthday, then maybe the One Blade (limited black edition) might be the choice.

A lot of these are cheaper options... Nothing wrong with that, but, what if money were no object? Something that is both attainable and usable for the newbie, but at a price cap of $400...

Mine would go up to the Standard Razor; not really costly though.

Well, cheap is relative. 40-70€ is imho not really cheap, and for some people might not be affordable.

A weishi knock-off for 1,89€ shipped, that would be cheap.

Anyway, I cannot see the point in getting an expensive razor like one of these US type stainless steel for a beginner, and not sure there are any dor more than 200,- anyway.

Unless you got a Porsche Boxter as your first car for 18. birthday, then maybe the One Blade (limited black edition) might be the choice.

Well, I guess the reason I ask is, that I started my wet shaving journey just within the past year, and probably different from most folks... With a OneBlade (regular edition), Wolfman SB, and BBS-1. My thinking at the time was, just start with the top of the luxury line, rather than go through dozens and dozens of razors in a never ending quest.

So are any of the other mentioned razors going to give me anything more or better than I have already?

If I were cornered and asked to recommend a 'starter' razor I would probably break it down into six categories;

Vintage
1) < $15
2) $16-$50
3) $51+

Modern/New
4) < $15
5) $16-$50
6) $51+

The above because some people love vintage, some dislike it and find it 'yucky' to buy a used razor and some people don't care either way. Another reason for the categories is price sensitivity. There are people that want to get something inexpensive but good - all the way to people that want 'the best current razor there is, money no object'.

So I think context is also important when providing a razor recommendation.
(There are of course more dimensions such as weight, handle length, etc, etc - but these two would be a good start)

My own recommendations for the categories above would be something like;

1) GEM Featherweight (SE blades are really not scary or hard to use and this is a very easy to use razor)
2) Schick Krona (amazingly mild yet efficient razor. I think it would make a great intro-razor)
3) If you're willing to spend big money right off the bat on a vintage razor I'd say go for a higher-end vintage Gillette

4) Wilkinson Sword Classic
5) EJ DE89 (it was my first razor so a bit biased maybe but I really rather like it. Also almost fool proof)
6) Pils 101NE (big, great quality, will last you a life time, mild enough to not scare you away and will give you a close shave)

All the above is of course super subjective.
Curious to see what other people would recommend into those six slots.

Last edited:

A beginner's razor should be mild, so I could recommend a Feather WS-D1S. Then the newbie figures out that he prefers aggressive razors and has wasted a couple of hundred pounds on a razor that was good to start with and might never be used again. Start with a 34C or an EJ89. When I started I thought the 34C was a bit expensive to start with, but I'm glad I listened to good advice on t'internet. Now I've moved on to even cheaper razors (1912, Merkur 45) that would not have suited me to start with.
Many newbies want to move away from expensive cartridge razors and recommending them a £274 ($400) razor won't help them.
Your spending habits may vary.

With a OneBlade (regular edition), Wolfman SB, and BBS-1. My thinking at the time was, just start with the top of the luxury line, rather than go through dozens and dozens of razors in a never ending quest.
A man with money to spend. Interested in the best razor even money can't buy? A Bunny V3 for the same price as a OneBlade limited edition? Best price I've seen so far anywhere :p:p:p

Reactions: Len
A man with money to spend. Interested in the best razor even money can't buy? A Bunny V3 for the same price as a OneBlade limited edition? Best price I've seen so far anywhere :p:p:p

The Bunny intrigues me greatly! But I put it into the 'unattainable' category as yet. If/when it comes into full production, this is my likely 1st option for another razor.

Not really. Just testing the waters. They are my pension plan :D:D:D

Nice try... But I wouldn't be surprised if you could get that much. If you plan on making bank though, selling now would be the way to go. Because if it does come into production, the price of yours would drop like a rock.

You guys always deviate from the topic, and no moderator screams for discipline.... I like that about this forum:)

But it rases a question indeed, now that some SE's are and will be available as new: Should a SE razor be recommended instead of a DE razor - for a beginner?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Reactions: Len
Back
Top Bottom