Rear Fogs

Almost all cars sold in the US do not have rear fog lights. I believe that only a very few European made cars, ie Saab, have them.
Reason? Most cars in the US have no front fog lights either??

Dobbo25 said:
Count of Undolpho said:
Two fat doylems

A local colloquialism I presume Another one that grates is parents opening the door wide open into the road whilst trying to get their child in/out of the child seat.

It doesn't grate as much if only because I have to do it as well, for our lass (who is disabled) as well as the kids. It's a sort of what else can you do situation.

cheese_dave said:
Here's one. My offside headlight bulb went, so I only had the nearside headlight and could have looked like a motorbike from the front in the dark. So I switched my front fogs on so I looked like a car again. It wasn't foggy, but I wanted other road users to know I was W-I-D-E for safety purposes, until I could replace the headlamp bulb. I just got loads of people flashing their fogs at me to get me to turn mine off. I dunno, I thought I was being safe.

At the end of the day both are illegal but which is more dangerous? A missing headlight doesn't dazzle as much as front fogs do. Most people tend to assume you know a bulb is out but that you've forgotten your fogs.

Count of Undolpho said:
Dobbo25 said:
Count of Undolpho said:
Two fat doylems

A local colloquialism I presume Another one that grates is parents opening the door wide open into the road whilst trying to get their child in/out of the child seat.

It doesn't grate as much if only because I have to do it as well, for our lass (who is disabled) as well as the kids. It's a sort of what else can you do situation.

Fair Point Count I have Children as well but I think getting them out onto the pavement safely, although inconvenient at times, is a lot better than the parent/child getting hit by a passing motorist, and please what is a doylem?

Count of Undolpho said:
At the end of the day both are illegal but which is more dangerous? A missing headlight doesn't dazzle as much as front fogs do. Most people tend to assume you know a bulb is out but that you've forgotten your fogs.

In the dark my car is dark against the darkness, all they can see is a single headlamp... a motorbike is also a single headlamp... a motorbike is narrow, my car is wide, I didn't want someone attempting a manoeuvre where they thought they were dealing with a motorbike and not a car. I'd rather dazzle someone than have them crash into me. That was all I was thinking. I got the headlamp bulb replaced sharpish.

Lose the beard said:
I would have my front foglights on in the same situation, said from someone who has driven head on into a car at night who only had the nearside light working. I only saw a bike coming towards me. :(

Vindicated! Hope everyone was okay.

Everyone survived, both drivers were seriously injured. I won't be running any marathons, the other driver won't be running at all, but he can still walk and is having a great life. We are good friends, and have been since before the accident, we both learnt a lot from that night. I was driving too fast, I was 17. He was the same age and also driving too fast, he knew his headlight had broken but didn't think it mattered. He overtook a parked car, all I saw was the nearside light and assumed it was a bike until it was too late.

A doylem is a complete idiot - sort of more extreme than just a berk or a fool, it has a bit of the twit and the twat in there for good measure.
@cheese_dave - as you say vindicated. @Loose the Beard you are the only person I've encountered who has crashed due to that misapprehension, I've only ever mistaken a one light car for a bike at an appreciable distance. I shall learn from your experience and be less complacent.

Just when I thought I'd never need them!! Another new twist to our weather this morning!!!
...DENSE FOG ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A DENSE FOG ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST THIS MORNING.
Just going to stay home in bed!

hunnymonster said:
Lose the beard said:
I would have my front foglights on in the same situation, said from someone who has driven head on into a car at night who only had the nearside light working. I only saw a bike coming towards me. :(

Anyone who drives with a head- or taillight out should be shot in the cock clumsily.

nearly crashed into a bmw the other day.

i was coming onto a roundabout and going around then this stupid woman pulls out at like 2mph and stops (this was 2 turnoffs later you can see all turnoffs on the roundabout as its not a very large one)

i was only going like 10-15 but had to slam brakes on to stop from hitting them

this was at 5:40pm and the road was packed

woman didnt even car at all, some people shouldnt drive

Re: RE: Rear Fogs

hunnymonster said:
Anyone who drives with a head- or taillight out should be shot in the cock clumsily.

There's something to be said for the French law requiring you to have a complete set of spare bulbs and the tools to change them in the car.

Back
Top Bottom