Closed Reggie's Razors Titan Pass Around - UK Titanium Razor

Shave #5 yesterday morning.

Soap: Palmolive Sensitive Shaving Cream
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 28mm
Blades:
- right side of my face: Derby Extra (first use)
- left side of my face: BiC Chrome Platinum (first use)
Razor: Reggie's Razors Titan

As it turned out, using the Gillette Platinums in Reggie's razor was my mistake. They worked quite well in all the other razors I pitted it against, but not as well in this razor.
The BiC Chrome Platinum was quite good, but the Derby Extra was very good in the razor. Smooth, almost mild feeling, and nearly as efficient as the BiC or the Platinum.
However, that smoothness and less blade feel caused a lapse in my attention and I put the razor to the skin at just the wrong angle on the sideburn area and got a ~1cm cut to show for it. Shallow, and closed quickly, but still annoying as it's a very rare occurrence. In fact, I think it's only happened to me once before with the Yaqi Knight Helmet, which has a silly amount of blade exposure.

Other than the mishap, it was probably my best shave with the razor I've had since it arrived last week.

As I forgot myself this morning, I'll have a postie pick it up on Monday to be delivered to the next person.

If I had a wishlist of what I'd like to see next:
- A knurled handle or a plain but sandblasted one for some ruggedness.
- A head-only option for at least the steel version, the Saturn.
- Possibly a plate or top cap that would yield a little less blade exposure.

Thank you kindly to @Reggie’s Razors and @Boycie83 for organising the passaround and letting me try the razor.

1.Boycie83 - completed
2.Slapo (ATG & TSR) - completed
3.Johnny Bravo (TSR) - on way to (and curiously not moving since yesterday in RM tracking)
4.LeeMaz (ATG & TSR)
5.Crossan (TSR & ATG)
6.Semajohn (ATG)
7.Borygmi (ATG & TSR)
8.Art101980 (ATG)
9.exists (TSR)
10.kelt0i (ATG and TSR)
11. ATG (TSR)
12. Cheekee (ATG)
13. p.b (ATG)
14. Tony'schin (TSR / ATG)
15. Gairdner (TSR / ATG)
16. ajc347 (ATG)
17. wooky114 (ATG & TSR)
18. jeepie (ATG)

1.Boycie83 - completed
3.Johnny Bravo (TSR) - with
4.LeeMaz (ATG & TSR)
5.Crossan (TSR & ATG)
6.Semajohn (ATG)
7.Borygmi (ATG & TSR)
8.Art101980 (ATG)
9.exists (TSR)
10.kelt0i (ATG and TSR)
11. ATG (TSR)
12. Cheekee (ATG)
13. p.b (ATG)
15. Gairdner (TSR / ATG)
16. ajc347 (ATG)
17. wooky114 (ATG & TSR)
18. jeepie (ATG)

@Boycie83 if this cycles through to me before the end of August could we shuffle the lineup and I switch with Semajohn or @Borygmi ? It looks like it's moving on a tad quicker than the 2 weeks.

I'm 'stuck' using the Shield Predator until the 31st. If not, I'm happy to step out and join the back of the line.

Cheers
I’m more than happy to swap around on the list, up or down, if it helps.

1.Boycie83 - completed
3.Johnny Bravo (TSR) - completed
4.LeeMaz (ATG & TSR) - en route
5.Borygmi (ATG & TSR)
6.Semajohn (ATG)
7.Crossan (TSR & ATG)
8.Art101980 (ATG)
9.exists (TSR)
10.kelt0i (ATG and TSR)
11. ATG (TSR)
12. Cheekee (ATG)
13. p.b (ATG)
15. Gairdner (TSR / ATG)
16. ajc347 (ATG)
17. wooky114 (ATG & TSR)
18. jeepie (ATG)

@Crossan @Borygmi no problem chaps - shuffled

Post in thread 'SOTD: Saturday 5 August - Friday 11 August 2023.' https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...ugust-friday-11-august-2023.58758/post-928970

I have finished with the razor and ready to pass it on to the next recipient.
I would say for me personally the Pros are...
It is UK made, a very high standard of finish to the razor and gives a nice shave.
It is lovely and light and the handle was a nice length.
I would say it's definitely not a mild shaver and not a daily shaver for me, I got a good next day shave but I took my time and changed my mind about it.
Cons...
I did on occasion find the handle slippy and the screw thread seemed a little rough when tightening the handle.
The finish is very shiny and shows every mark.
For me alone it's just tad too high in price I might buy the Mars version.
All in all I think if you were to buy this razor or have it given as a gift, you will like it.
Thank you @Reggie’s Razors for the opportunity to try it out.

1.Boycie83 - completed
3.Johnny Bravo (TSR) - completed
4.LeeMaz (ATG & TSR) - with
5.Borygmi (ATG & TSR)
6.Semajohn (ATG)
7.Crossan (TSR & ATG)
8.Art101980 (ATG)
9.exists (TSR)
10.kelt0i (ATG and TSR)
11. ATG (TSR)
12. Cheekee (ATG)
13. p.b (ATG)
15. Gairdner (TSR / ATG)
16. ajc347 (ATG)
17. wooky114 (ATG & TSR)
18. jeepie (ATG)

IMG_2541.jpeg
SOTD: 09/08/2023

Razor: Reggie’s Razor Titan
Blade: Astra SP, 1st use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Nanny’s Silly Soap Moroccan Sands Croap
Balm: L’Oréal All In 1 Moisturising Cream Balm
Fragrance: William Hunt Oud De Parfum Eau de Toilette

My first shave with the Titan and I found it delightful. I found it a mid aggressive head yet very smooth, with a touch of blade feel. You could definitely tell the blade was there, but it was less noticeable than say a Blackbird or Green Cult. It delivered a BBS with ease, I’d say I was pleasantly surprised! The lightness of the razor made it feel nimble but care is still needed as I’m sure it will bite given half the chance. I’d say it’s a tad too efficient for me to use as a daily shaver but only just. I’m impressed! Thanks to @Boycie83 and @Reggie’s Razors for arranging the passaround.

IMG_2553.jpeg
SOTD: 10/08/2023

Blade: Astra SP, 2nd use
Brush: Highlander “Azzuri” Custom Brush Boti 4th Gen Pink 3 Color Synthetic Knot
Preshave: Bart’s Balm Preshave Sample Oil
Soap: Løthur Tears Croap
Balm: L’Oréal All In 1 Moisturising Cream Balm
Fragrance: Maison Alhambra Porto Neroli EdP

Ok my fears about this being too assertive for daily use seem unfounded! The Titan’s lightness is its strength, so it seems to stay just balanced on the mid/aggressive boundary to give a wonderful shave irritation free. I’m beginning to like this DE quite a lot especially as it seems capable of as close, or closer a shave than some of my SE’s with the same lack of irritation or skin scraping some overly aggressive razors can be guilty of having. It’s also pushing me to explore lighter razors more too. If it continues to shave as well as this it’ll be a real bind to let it go!

IMG_2558.jpeg
SOTD: 11/08/2023

Blade: Astra SP, 3rd use
Brush: ZENITH Unbleached bristle chrome handle 2000 C XSE
Preshave: Bart’s Balm Preshave Sample Oil
Soap: Signature Capra Insurium Puck
Aftershave: Proraso Green Aftershave
Balm: Proraso Crema Liquida Dopobarba Balm
Fragrance: PAA Awesome Sauce EdP

It was a hot and muggy start to the day which meant that I grabbed the Capra Insurium for a lovely cooling and fresh shave to start the day. The Titan has passed the unwritten 3 day shave rule I have, if I can use a blade 3 days in a row with no irritation it’s a good razor. From the first day’s results I expected it would fail, finding it almost too close a shave for me. But this it sits on that mid aggressive line perfectly, getting one of the closest DE shaves I’ve had, with no irritation especially 3 days in a row. One thing I’ve noticed is just how well the blade is clamped down, there’s no movement, it always feels solidly and firmly in place. On some razors this can make for an unforgiving shave but it’s not the case here, it just gives a BBS every-time with ease.
I almost don't want to change the set up for tomorrow, but will try a slightly more sharp blade before using the Derby’s I’ve been recommended as giving a go.
I do not need another razor, I do not need another razor, silly voice in my head saying, “you’re a little thin on DE’s at the moment and this is near perfect” does not require acting upon… yet! It’s as smooth as my old beloved Tatara Masamune but closer and more efficient.

IMG_2562.jpeg
SOTD: 12/08/2023

Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless , 1st use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Preshave: Bart’s Balms Lochnagar Oil
Soap: Noble Otter Jack Puck
Aftershave: Noble Otter Jack Aftershave

Another great shave with the Titan but marginally less comfortable with the feather blade. I did think it may be a tad much but wanted to try it with a sharper blade. I’m sure it didn’t help that I was short on time this morning, but I gave myself a couple of nicks due to not taking my time in key neck areas. That said there was no other irritation and it seems like a minor improvement closeness wise. Though I’m not sure I’d want to use it everyday as it may get too much. I’ll try it again tomorrow to see how it feels, before going back to a milder blade like the Derby in it. I really do appreciate and enjoy the lightness of the razor more than I expected. At this midway point through trying it out, I guess the only criticism I could have is the handle, it’s well made, looks good and never feels likely to slip, and while I normally love a modern and simple design I guess I just prefer something different, maybe with shallower grooves. I’m genuinely being picky as I’m aware I can be overly gushing when it comes to pass around a bit this is a very good first impression and razor from a new company. Well done @Reggie’s Razors

IMG_2565.jpeg
SOTD: 13/08/2023

Blade: Derby Extra, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Napoli
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Shannon’s Soaps Mars Puck
Balm: Bart’s Balm Sample Balm
Fragrance: Channel Allure Eau de Toilette

I dug out some derby blades I’ve had for a while to use with the Titan, on the recommendation of @slapo. I’ve not used them in a while but they were great with the Titan, giving a very smooth and capable shave, much better than yesterday’s Feather blade. I really enjoyed my time with the Titan and it’s the first DE to peak my interest in quite a while. I’m not sure what I can further add to the Titan review wise, I like the polished finish, the smooth but medium aggressive shave, the weight and balance are spot on, as is the manoeuvrability. I particularly like how firmly the blade is clamped. I’m a fan and I think it’s reasonably priced for a titanium razor. I would like to see an aluminium razor in the line up too though as it may be an entry level razor for people to try before the step up to the steel or titanium.

Back
Top Bottom