Rocnel SE review(s)

The longer the handle, the greater the total weight but the further the CG moves away from the head and gives a better balance, better, easier control - if you shave as I do. I'm going to try a modified epee handle next - the bottom end incresded in diameter to move the CG further out without making the handle too long.

As we are all strong enough to hold a few grams of steel in the air, it comes down to balance - neutral balance for a light touch. Imo.

I would have thought not. Although a Schick-type blade might just fit in the slot (not too thick), a quick try suggests that they're a bit too rigid to bend in the slot, which is how they're retained. That is partly a function of the narrowness of that blade, which in turn means that even if it could be inserted, the edge would be within the razor, or only just out (assuming that the blunt edge is up against the bottom of the slot). I'd also think it would be a job to get it out, even if it did fit. Gem-type blades would need major doctoring to fit.

@Dave-the-rave I was being a bit facetious about longevity. If I sling a regular DE after 2 or 3 days, then 2 halves of a DE might last 2x2 or 3x2. Of course, that depends on whether a blade in a DE gets regular and entirely consistent use on both edges, which I'm pretty certain it doesn't. If the Polsilver is still shaving properly at Day 3 in the Rocnel, then I will be able to say with confidence that that blade, used with soaps x, y and z, will give me 6 days. I'll observe this for the first uses of this blade, but if there's any degradation, then I might be slinging a blade after 2 uses. Even so, I get an extra day (4 against 3). I hope it will shave for more than 1 day, anyway.

Holy crap man. :eek:

Day 2 of this gadget, and, as usual, a little more practice improves the experience.

Same Polsilver, Obsidian soap and Muhle synthetic, finished off with Myrsol Formula C and Emulsion.

I concentrated on keeping off excess pressure, and managed to get a good smooth finish in two passes. Although no irritation, my face felt on fire, probably because of yesterday's scraping.
There's no doubt this is efficient, once you get the hang of it, but it's definitely a real "Marmite" razor. At the moment, I can't decide whether I really like it or loathe it, but will persevere for one more day with it as it is. I think that some handle changing might improve the experience, but tomorrow I'll be having a day's rest from it and will use something rather milder to shave with.
It would be interesting to know which blades others are using, and what their experiences are. Somehow, I don't think I'll be testing it out with a range of different blades.

When am I going to read a review that says it's good regardless of the price?
As it's so cheap, saying "good for its price" is pretty meaningless.

I am enjoying the reviews though and am looking forward to v2 ( new and improved)

I doubt there will be a V2. I think the perceived flaws in the design are down to the cost being so low.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hiya I'm using an Astra blade. To be honest I don't find it different to any other razor shave wise (given aggression varies). Yes it is heavier and the balance somewhat skewed, but I just hold the handle nearer to the head. Would I use it as a daily shaver? No. Why it is too tedious snapping, inserting, removing. Unfortunately I have grown up with the luxury of placing and throwing a blade.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

When am I going to read a review that says it's good regardless of the price?
As it's so cheap, saying "good for its price" is pretty meaningless.

I am enjoying the reviews though and am looking forward to v2 ( new and improved)
You've got a point.
Speaking personally, I don't generally consider price to be an especially important aspect of any razor, when it comes down to analysing how well, or not, it works for me (YMMV and all that); and tend not to mention it. The price of the thing is related to cost of ownership rather than how good in use it is; but it is, I feel, legitimate to mention that, for example, the high quality of manufacture is good against a low purchase price.
Having said that, in considering the Fine Slant in the DE subforum, I make no bones about it being a very good little razor in use, but at an exorbitant price, when bought from the UK.

Sat 14th May
My second shave with the Rocnel, not planned but up early so why not.

The weight is immediately noticeable, maybe a longer/lighter handle might help. I felt more confident moving it about.
Find the correct angle varies, and did polishing passes as though using a Gem MM. Like many I had noticed that edges of blade are a bit proud of the guard , and could cause some people problems.

Apart from around the edge of my lips, the shave was as close as most achieved with a DE razor. However, it is unlikely
to replace any of them in the shaving rotation ,and they currently only have occasional use after use of SE/Injectors.

Sun 15th May
My shave with the Rocnel yesterday was fairly early, as I was out for the Day. What was noticeable
when returned home , was how well the shave had lasted and even at 9 ,felt that could have gone to a social occasion without the need for a touch up shave. In the old cart days, would have needed
a second shave.

As good as the results were, the finish and ease of shave bear no comparison to todays Shave. May be
a bit unfair as the Blades are more expensive. Today used a Schick I 1, with a modern Schick Twin Blade. So smooth and easy and very tempted to say " Dolphin Smooth". So the Rocnel is not in my
top list of razors.

Last edited:
Day 3 with the same Polsilver blade, Proraso Red and a Salter Pure Badger brush.

This time , I used a Windrose aluminium ALD handle (95mm, 27g) and the feel of the Rocnel is transformed. It shaves smoothly and close, without irritation, and would probably have performed better if the blade weren't so old.

As far as the "economy" of using halved blades goes, I'll expect to get 4 shaves from a DE blade rather than the usual 3 and sling it.

The other thing noticeable is that with a thick-ish cream like Proraso, the design of the safety bar (or however it's described) means that some pretty vigorous rinsing is needed to clear soap as required. If not, then the groove becomes clogged and the blade edge is masked.

Still a "Marmite" razor, in my books, and I haven't yet decided which way I feel about it. I'll give it a week or three off-duty, and then perhaps reassess it. The intervening time will be Schicks, PALs, Mongooses and, hopefully, the Single Edge.

Had around 4 uses with this razor now. Wow factors include price, audio feed and lack of blade chatter.
Meh factors include fiddly blade loading, removal and quicker clogging.

Out of 10 I would give the Rocnel a 6.5, nothing particularly bad about the razor IMO but definitely better out there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom