Rocnel SE review(s)

Not sure how easy it will be to remove the blade or even get it in with the exposed edges removed. Having said that, for me, its a very efficient smooth shaver, and i glad i bought it, and will be using it a lot. Think i will get the stand for it as to me it looks great, but will look even better with the stand.

It's super easy to remove the blade w/out the tabs but I found it to be impossible to re-insert it w/out the tabs.
For me it therefore gives me two shaves/blade as I'm OCD enough to take the blade out after every shave.

If you use the side tabs to help get the blade in you can then push down on the tabs with your thumb to snap them off. This leaves a very small piece of blade exposed, just enough to get your finger nail behind to push the blade out when needed. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1. That's how I do it as well. Push up..push down..and the tabs just falls off.

If you use the side tabs to help get the blade in you can then push down on the tabs with your thumb to snap them off. This leaves a very small piece of blade exposed, just enough to get your finger nail behind to push the blade out when needed. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It just worries me that even a small piece exposed could still nick you.

Thanks guys, I'm waiting for the pre-order queue to get to the UK, by then there should be enough data to make an informed decision, but I'll probably give it a punt!

Just used the Rocnel. I am with the happy camp. It shaves well.

Being one side of a DE and having just the one lather canal you probably wash the head twice as much. No issue though, as that is expected and takes seconds. I also preferred using a runny lather. I left the tabs on, this way I can see my attacker. Although at some angles it is hard to see the whole side tab(s), either way no cuts.

Positives apart from the price:
Grippy handle. However, a reduction in weight would help, allowing the head to be more the focal point. But relating back to price, it can't be faulted.

Audible feedback was excellent. I love that 'buzzing' sound as you mow down short stubble.

A couple of issues that arose were when snapping the blade it was not flush but bent (especially the side tabs) would this effect the cutting angle? Lastly with Astra SP blades, the wax spots on the blade scrape off onto the blade gap area, when sliding the blade in.

Overall a close shave with 3 passes. It is IMO around a 3 in terms of aggression, with regards to a merkur progress. Good razor for a great price.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had my 1st go with it tonight and I was very impressed by it. I used a vintage Wilkinson Sword de in it and I found if you let the heft of the head do most of the work it shaves great. I didn't find any blade flex at all. In fact I think the weight and thickness of the head shuts any of that down. The handle is nice and grippy and worth the money on its own.
I do a bit of j-hooking on a part of my neck thats a bit tricky with the exposed blade ends that are still left after clipping the ends.
You do need to take care or those little nubs will dig in. Overall for the money , I'm well pleased with the build quality, finish and more importantly the shave.
2583c35caf71ec4e6ffdbf36ec5f8870.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom