Rugby World Cup

We'll have to disagree Chris as I said I thought it was the right decision at the time. It may have been fortuitous the French player didn't land on his head but it doesn't make the tackle any less reckless because he wasn't injured enough.

My point is that the tackled player can receive a nasty neck injury from a large percentage of tackles that have no malicious intent. If every tackle that has an element of danger is penalised, the refs' whistle will hardly fall silent.

The point here is that some are more likely to lead to serious injury than others - a reckless tackle is any tackle outside the normal expectation of the players - you're a lot more able to cope with a hard tackle if it's of a type you encounter normally. If it's some arse coming stupidly high or tossing you like a caber as part of the tackle (neither of which are the norm) then he deserves to be on the receiving end of sanctions.

Pretty ordinary final, as a Wales fan it makes it a even more bitter pill to swallow, i'm almost certain we would have given the Blacks a better game., still as a rugby fan you must say the All Blacks certainly try to play the game in the right way, looking forward to the next world cup in England, nice that we have our pool games at home, plus a world cup quarter final in Wales as well. So congratulations to the All Blacks, still the Six nations to me as something special with it's history and tradition, and now with that great trip to Rome as well, the Southern Hemisphere would die for such a competition.

Jamie.

Eh...still sulking over the French defeat? What about the French challenge at the Haka? Not sure what you were watching James but France were absolutely outstanding and on the receiving end of some rather dodgy decisions first half but on the whole I thought they out did the AB's on set piece and showed far more attacking intent in the back line. It was war but it was captivating, I oddly found myself routing for France towards the end as the AB's were hanging on. If a team can't win in front of their home crowd they really don't deserve it, who would have believed it would be so close?

Thing is James, Wales are a busted flush, they may have entertained in brief periods but they came away with nowt, England know they were shit so we can only improve.

Ho, ho.

I had very mixed feelings towards the end. I know how it felt in '66 to win a World Cup on home soil. It would have been a tragedy for New Zealand fans if they had lost - the pain would have been real. But an upset would have been dramatic to witness. On balance, a fair result.

I cocked up today. Out for lunch with friends. Ruth planned it! Have to record the Manchester derby. I don't often miss the big games.

I don't understand the French side. Awful against Tonga, better but still poor against the worst England side I've ever seen (yes, Jamie, I'm admitting it - some brilliant players such as Ashton, Tuilagi and Tindall, but a non-entity as a TEAM). Then they improved slightly against Wales but were ridiculously lucky that they were being officiated by the only referee in world rugby that interprets the rules surrounding such tackles literally rather than using a bit of initiative, and suddenly played brilliantly against an average-looking All Black side and very nearly won.

Pretty much summed up what I was thinking Chris, no disrespect to New Zealand but the team that won the final looked a shadow of the kind of team and quality of rugby I and most other rugby supporters have come to expect, a few of the better South African England and Australian teams from the past would have taken that New Zealand team to the cleaners.

Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom