Rugby World Cup

There is no doubt that France, Ireland & Wales can all beat England in this competition. There is also no doubt that England are capable of beating all of them in this competition.

I am not overly concerned about those age you mention Jamie, they have all put in a good shift or two to date.

It will be a different story if the Scots get a win on Saturday.

Fozz, dont worry I cannot see Scotland winning against England, as you said all the teams from the northern hemisphere have the ability of turning each other over in a one off game, but I cannot see any team other than the All Blacks lifting the trophy.

Regards Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well Chris, I would say that the same thing was being said of Leslie Viakolo a few season ago? but the truth is that Englands game is heavily dependant on set piece play, once any team who have a decent backline like Wales have at the moment with a very good backrow, which dominated England in the last two games, gain parity up front which after watching this England team, I would say i'm more than confident, even though I wouldn't mind Wales playing either France or Ireland in the quarters or semi's I would rather play England over those two if I could pick.

Jamie

Fair point, but I think you tend to underestimate them. Don't forget they were quite a set piece-orientated team when they won it in 2003.

You are right Chris, but England have always been a set piece team, but the team that won the world cup would stand head and shoulders above this England team in almost every department, they lack creativity at 13 and 12, the backrow while good is also nothing special, where you had a very creative 13 in Greenwood, now you have Tindall and Tulagi two big boshers, and the backrow of Dallagio, Neil back, and Richard Hill was a superb unit, the inerrant strenght of English rugby as always been their pack, although it's a good pack of forwards it's certainly not one that will scare many of the better teams, but you do have a excellent secondrow forward in Lawes, and a few very talented youngsters, I dont think you look anywhere near a complete team, and I would agree Tulagi as made quite an impression, but he will be given special attention from now on. England are a good team can they get better dont think so? Wales are a good team can they get better yes, Ireland good team can they get better no, France are a good team can they get better yes, Scotland are a average team can they get better, doubt it.

Jamie.

Low grade game, when I have one eye on the computer and the other on the game that kind of sum's up the performance of England, Scotland are very ordinary team, and England looked clueless, might as well hand the cup over to New Zealand.

Jamie

I actually think you're being rather harsh on both Scotland and England, Jamie - it's true Scotland play a limited game but they're adept at shutting-out the opposition as I remember well from a Grand Slam decider several years ago when England at the top of their game were derailed in the Calcutta Cup at a soaking wet Murrayfield. I remember watching on TV and getting frustrated that the Scots had starved England of decent quality possession. I also think Scotland can and should improve hugely if they learn how to convert the attacks they create by having support runners at good angles and playing heads-up rugby, rather as Wales do so well.

I also think you're still being a touch harsh on England, though I'd agree that back rows like that come along once in a generation. I used to think that Richard Hill in particular was a genius that never got anything like the recognition he deserved. Anyway, did you see highlights of France-Tonga? If England were poor then France were catastrophically bad - though they got enough points on the board to take the point for losing sides, they did it with a try that never looked like coming off, rather than an almost certain penalty in front of the posts. Their tacking was weak and what on earth happened to the back line?

Having said all that, Wales look very good to me, just ready to go up another gear. I expect them to last longer than the other home nations.

Good assessment Chris, Richard Hill was without doubt the unspoken hero of English backrow, I feel that we Wales are on the brink of putting together a world class team in the near future, maybe a year or two away but looks good for the future, with a backline like Leigh Halfpenny 22, George North 19, Scott Williams 20 Rhys Priestland 24, Jamie Roberts 24, John Davies 24, Loydd Williams 20, with a very young pack our captain Sam Warburton 22, Toby Falatu 20, Dan Lydiate 24, second row forwards Alyn Wyn Jones 24, Bradley Davies 24, we lack a little strength in depth with front row players, but Gethin Jenkins Adam Jones and a fit Mathew Rees are the first choice British Lions front row unit. Even though we will play Ireland in the quarters, I wouldn't like to call it to close.

Jamie

cry.jpg

Back
Top Bottom