Greetings

Saturday 11th May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop 1904
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Burma Shave Boar
Soap: Palmolive Stick grated into a container
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

My first shave with this newly acquired but my oldest razor. This model is I believe the first model that Valet/Autostrop made and is patented in Great Britain in 1904 and 1907. It is silver plated and shaves superbly albeit quite aggressively.

Scratched on the bottom of the nickel plated tin in which it came is:- A H Truman 3 Ox/Bucks Lt Infty. Which is the 3rd Battalion The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

A search on the internet reveals the razors original owner was a Second Lieutenant in this regiment and I have found mention of him in the seige of Kut during the First World War in Mesopotamia (today's Iraq) in 1916, fighting the Turks.

If only this razor could talk!

Best Regards
Dick

DSC04288.JPG

EJDE89
Red Personna
Vulfix Bodger
Nannys Lime
Yardley Citrus and Wood

Excellent shave
Now off for a breakfast and a day of football and a beer festival.
Enjoy your weekend gents.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Rudy V
Razor: Weltmeister by Otto Busch
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: Blue Floid
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Uberclean :D

I think this was the best shave I've had with a small blade. Excellent razor, but you do have to get the angle right when shaving with a razor like this one. Nice blade, the blueing is excellent and the wear close to nothing, but the blade had some pitting and I had to remove some steel to get it clean enough and the lovely "Weltmeister" etching vanished (doesn't stick very well to start with though :( ).

Musgo Real glyce classic soap
Feather Artist Club SS - Pro Blade
Morris & Forndran stubby 2XL
L'Occitane Cade shaving soap
Witch Hazel+
Surrati Tom Aoud

Squeaky :)

Last nights shave
Hot shower
Proraso pre/post for prep
Proraso green (new formula)
Niva brush soaked in cup of hot water with menthol crystals added (the brush still smells pretty funky)
Feather Artist SS with Pro-Guard blade
Witch Doctor witch hazel
Camelot AS balm
Old Spice (vintage sample from all round nice guy Dodgy)

Two passes with the feather left me very clean and smooth, just one wee nick on the chin where I got the angle wrong.

This morning I shaved with an Astra SP blade in my Rocket HD ... smoooth combination!

My soap was De Vergulde Hand (creates slick lather), face lathered with a Vero brush.

Afterwards I cooled down with some Sanex Sensitive after shave balm.

Excellent shave :)

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Saturday 11th May 2013

My first shave with this newly acquired but my oldest razor. This model is I believe the first model that Valet/Autostrop made and is patented in Great Britain in 1904 and 1907. It is silver plated and shaves superbly albeit quite aggressively.

Scratced on the bottom of the nickel plated tin in which it came is:- A H Truman 3 Ox/Bucks Lt Infty. Which is the 3rd Battalion The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

A search on the internet reveals the razors original owner was a Second Lieutenant in this regiment and I have found mention of him in the seige of Kut during the First World War in Mesopotamia (today's Iraq) in 1916, fighting the Turks.

Best Regards
Dick

DSC04288.JPG

i'm loving that bit of History there, very very nice :icon_razz::icon_razz:

TOBS Lavender shaving cream
Henk walnut silvertip
New Standard with Super Iridium (2)
Home made Cedarwood, neroli and ambergris aftershave

Excellent shave. Gentle touch, short strokes, superb results

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave
Soap: Prof. Blighty's Grapewood
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal #2
Brush: Semogue 830 boar
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Polsilver SS (2)
After: Alum, Superdrug FF AS, Limes skin food, Barbershop Bay Rum

Probably the scariest shave I've had to date. The Fatip needs to be respected but combined with the Polsilver blade gave me a ruthless mix.
Proceeded very carefully without incidents or accidents but I think it was that close.

Good to get back to my rotation of soaps and Prof Blighty didn't let me down.
Also first time trying Steve's Bay Rum, not sure how to apply it so used it as an after splash, is that right?

I'd forgotten what a real BBS felt like, and the Fatip can deliver it.

Result: Smooth and clovey.

Afternoon, gents.

Saturday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89 with iKon Bulldog handle, shimmed
Blade: Super Max SS (1)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Bath House, Spanish Fig and Nutmeg
A/S: Ricardo L'Homme Musk
Cologne: Ricardo L'Homme Musk

A good smooth start to the week.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Saturday 11th May 2013

Scratced on the bottom of the nickel plated tin in which it came is:- A H Truman 3 Ox/Bucks Lt Infty. Which is the 3rd Battalion The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

Best Regards
Dick

DSC04288.JPG

Hello Dick,
That's a nice piece of history to go with your razor. It feels good to use an item that has been around for so long. I find I think of all the events in history it's lived through when I'm using anything old of mine.
Regards Brian

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
Schick M type adjustable injector/Schick Krona (NOS)
TGQ Leatherneck SS
Neutrogena oil free moisture
TGQ 'Leatherneck' extrait

This blade's good. Can't recall trying it before but it's a keeper. Not scary sharp, but still smooth and effective.

The soap and EdT are just about gone. Maybe three shaves left to the soap and about one quarter ounce of the extrait remaining. Sigh. One of my very favorite products.

BBS results,

Martin

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, green
Simpson's Colonel X2L, Nanny's Tea Tree and Aloe Vera soft soap
ATT Atlas R1, Rapira Swedish (3)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave soother

The Atlas R1 is on the edge of too aggressive for me. My previous shave with it was nasty... but I must admit it was probably poor technique... really have to re-define "no pressure" when I use it. But, it's a dream on a two-day growth. What a superb shave... near BBS with no irritation at all. Anyway, I've ordered a Titan M1... I think the R1/M1 should cover all bases

Back
Top Bottom