S.O.T.D. Saturday 12th to Friday 18th September 2015

tCqz47yl.png

Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Vetiver
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2nd)
Post #1: Saponificio Varesino Aromatic Fern After Shave Balm
Post #2: Malin+Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
Scent: Dior Homme Parfum by Dior

Mike's performed excellently as always.

IMG_1746.JPG

Shower
Monsavon Bol-a-Raser
Edwin Jagger Black Fibre in Tortoise Shell
Ever Ready 1924 (Brass) w/Swing Handle & Gem Damaskeene (4)
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Jean Sorelle Aftershave & Cologne

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & ATG

Oh, this blade is really starting to mellow. With my last shave, in an Ever Ready 1914, I rather got the impression it might be dulling as the first pass was not as complete as it was with the first couple of shaves and I just could not get my chin right. Well, tonight blew that theory out of the water ...

In an Ever Ready 1924, brass no less, the first pass was again not quite as complete as previous and so I did what I should have done with the 1914: a pass against the grain. Wow! This is a close shave! Close and so smooth. Resigned that the first pass was not going to be quite as complete as I'd like it, I just went with a gentle reduction pass and then blasted the rest away with a second pass.

My usual routine is to get pretty much the shave done in one pass and use a second with the grain pass on a slide to get it just so. I'm having to re-learn how to shave with the razors because of this vintage blade and how it is playing out. I think I'm really getting the hang of it - the first run will be very efficient and quite fierce, giving a complete shave in one pass, the second, too, the third we're now into doing a pass and a second pass to pick up stragglers and by the fourth, we can go one down, one up and enjoy just how mellow the blade has become.

I was going to call it a day at 5, but after stropping (50 laps) it's back to sharp, certainly more so than I'd expect a modern GEM to be on my face coming up to its fifth shave. Next shave will be back in a Damaskeene, but the open comb, a razor I was underwhelmed with when I tried it with a modern GEM blade - it does say "Use only with Damaskeene blades" and perhaps that is the key.

SOTD - Thurs
Pre: RazoRock menthol/lime soap
Soap: Ginger's Garden "British Empire" (Tallow)
Brush: Orchid Isles Curly Koa handle, Shavemac 23mm D01 Silvertip
Razor: Pils 101NE
Blade: Feather (1)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel with 444, followed by Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ASB/EdT

IMG_20150917_212708110e.jpg
Tonight's shave:
OSP #2 Test Soap (Lanolin free)
VirginiaSheng purtech - Face lathered
Ever Ready Featherweight w GEM S/S #6
3 Pass W,X & ATG
Rinse, Alum rub, Cold Rinse
Benjamins Bay Rum
Neutrogena Comfort Balm

Exquisite shave tonight.
James - OSP aka Trench has surpassed himself with his latest soap.

Dr. Squatch Pine Tar Exfoliating Soap Bar
Grandstaff Grapefruit & Gardenia
Paladin Falstaff in Disco 28mm Blonde Badger
Merkur Futur 760 Adjustable Satin Chrome
Ladas Super Stainless Blade
Osma Alum Block
BullDog Original Aftershave Balm

Some better close-up elevations of the Falstaff...

Back
Top Bottom