S.O.T.D. Saturday 1th JuneMay to Friday 7th June 2013 ...

MONDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot rinse
Razor: Kai Excelia \ Mergress long handle
Blade: Feather Proguard (2) \ Rapira (2)
Brush: Neep Jasper Aztec
Soap: GFT Sandalwood - scuttle lathered

Managed to nick a mole. Ouch!

Good shave apart from that.

Bic 1 disposable
Proraso Sensitive foam
Proraso Aftershave balm
L'Occitane Eau captivante

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Astra Superior Platinum
Semogue 1520 boar
Speick shaving cream
Proraso Aftershave lotion

I ended up with two shaves today. I woke up late but in need of a shave - first day back at work after half term. I realised it was as good a time as any to try out a disposable and some foam. It was the first time I hadn't applied lather with a brush in almost 18 months! It was a 90 second one-pass plus touch-up that left an adequate enough shave for the day, but I thought it best to shave again tonight so as to avoid the same palaver tomorrow! The Slim is an excellent razor.

Sfh Orange, henk walnut silvertip, Fatboy (nickel plated) on 8, 5, 3 with MEM super silver platinum, Boits Freshwood a/s. Great! Just keep the Fatboy below 7 with these blsdes

Tuesday iv June, 2013

Prep: Hot shower, Savon de Provence Shea Butter Soap
Pre: Cold Water Splash
Brush: Kent Infinity Silvertex Synthetic
Soap: Palmolive / La Toja frankensoap
Razor: Merkur 46C Travel Razor
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver Stainless #1
ASL: Givenchy Gentleman

Result: Wonderful scrape. First use of a Polsilver Stainless for a while and it didn't let down. Fantastic blade (do I stock up before the reservoir runs dry?)

Have a good one, my fine fellows.

Jon

Greetings

Tuesday 5th June 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Micromatic Flying Wing
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Vie Long 13061M Horse
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A truly wonderful shave.......but

I am starting to lose faith in this brush, it is beginning to develop a bit of a 'doughnut' in the centre with hairs that appear to be damaged and bent. This coupled with the fact that these brushes (at least this model) have a lot of stiff scritchy hairs in the centre of the knot give a 'prickly' feel to the knot.

When I purchased this brush I believed I really liked it and it does make a lather very quickly and efficiently but I now feel it is not ideal for a face latherer, especially a rather heavy handed one like myself. I would suggest this brush is only suited for bowl lathering or users with a delicate touch! I do wonder if horse hair is more prone to damage than boar, none of my boar brushes have this problem in fact they seem to thrive on a good thrashing!

Regards
Dick.

DSC04392.JPG

Tuesday

Gillette face wash
Proraso pre
Proraso cream
New forest 1901
Merkur progress @ 3
Rapira swede (3)
Alum/witch hazel
Proraso after shave
C&E Nomad EDT

Good two pass shave with this set up proraso works really well as a group and lovely fresh feeling finish

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave (sensitive)
Soap: NSS soft, Vanilla (soap of the week)
Brush: New Forest 2213
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Progress @2.5
Blade: Lord (2)
After: Alum, Superdrug FF AS, Bluebeard's Revenge ASB

Nanny's Soap Week Day 1

First time using Nanny's Silly Soap. Opening the jar gives a very deep scent of vanilla, kind of warm and honeysuckle type. I was not sure how to use this soft soap, so scooped a small almond-sized blob and bowl-lathered with it. The scent when lathered and applied is much softer than the jar scent which is good because it would have been overpowering otherwise. No problems with glide and felt very soft and gentle.
However by the second pass the lather was beginning to collapse a little and only just made it to three passes. I think I was too frugal with portion sizes and should double the quantity of soap for tomorrow's shave. I have similar problems with most soaps/creams which I think is down to the hard water.

Not impressed with the Lord blade but I think it's my last one, which is nice.
Result: comfortable shave, missed a few whiskers under my chin. Must try harder tomorrow.

You know, I rather like the plastic knob on the Progress; it matches my brush!
SOTD_130604_zpsea41886c.jpg

Tuesday:

Nanny's French Lavender Hard Soap
Semogue soc Boar
#15 Aristocrat
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
Pinaud Vanilla AS

I really like this soap, it has a relatively subtle lavender scent and performs wonderfully. Roll on the rest of the week.

Tuesday

What a lovely day with the sun shining bright!!

Kent T4
Martin de Candre, wood bowl
Puma 6/8 No1 FF
Roger & Gallet L'Homme ASB
Creed Aventus

Re: RE: S.O.T.D. Saturday 1th JuneMay to Friday 7th June 2013 ...

Norfolkdick said:
I am starting to lose faith in this brush, it is beginning to develop a bit of a 'doughnut' in the centre with hairs that appear to be damaged and bent.

My experience exactly. I no longer use mine much, if at all.

Razor: Thiers-Issard "basic black", 11/16"
Brush: Simpson Major in best
Soap: Proraso white

Good.

Prep face wash L'Occitane sandalwood soap
Razor Filarmonica 14 Especial 8/8
Strop Kanayama cordovan #8000
Brush Morris & Forndran L7
Cella creme da barba
Alum & Witch hazel
Kiehl's aftershve balm
Kiehl's original musk No 1 Edt

I was lucky enough to pick up this early filarmonica up a few weeks back in absolutely beautiful original condition with zero hone wear, in fact I doubt she had ever been honed I only honed the razor up three days ago, without doubt one of the easiest razors I've ever honed a walk in the park, and what a fantastic super smooth shave she delivered.

Tuesday

Weishi 2008-T All Plastic TTO
Gillette Silver Blue
Omega Hi-Performance Baber Pole Synthetic
KMF Lavender Shea Shave Cream
Dove Post Shave Balm
Booster Oriental Spice After Shave

Afternoon, all.

tuesday:

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ89 with iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Palmolive stick
A/S: Aqua Quorum

Excellent.

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, green
Simpson's Colonel X2L, T&H 1805 cream
Titan M1/Merkur Progress (#2.5), Personna Lab Blue (3)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave soother

Trying out the ATT Titan M1 after getting used to the Progress was not a happy experience. The ATT seems to have the happy knack of being both too mild AND too rough! I even wondered if I'd loaded the blade in wrong at one point. Switching back to the Progress rescued things nicely and I (amazingly) managed to end up blood-free and irritation-free, and reasonably smooth.

I'll try out the M1 again with a different blade. I think part of the problem is that I really don't like longer handles... so I'll try out the Atlas handle

Back
Top Bottom