S.O.T.D. Saturday 22nd November to Friday 28th November 2014

Face wash with glycerine soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Rapira SS
New Forest Tubby 1 finest silver tip in Tigris Perla
Tabac shaving stick
Proraso Green A/S
Tom Ford Italian Cypress

11684620064_82fa111619_c.jpg

A day off today so I decided to take a risk on my Le Coq OC, which I've never been brave enough to try up until now.

20141124_094730_zpsmazsc4qg.jpg

Hot wash
Proraso Green
Chinese Lian & 1980 Best Badger
Dorco blade (1)
Le Coq open comb
Cien ASB

It's a bit of a beast, but I did get a very, very smooth shave. I think I'll save it for when I've got three days growth to deal with.

jds said:
Monday xiv November, 2014

Prep: Hot shower, Korres Wheat Face Soap
Pre: Cold Water splash, TOBS Herbal Pre-Shave Gel
Brush: Vie - Long 14080 Horse & Badger
Soap: Jabonman Neroli - Menta - Pomelo
Razor: Micromatic Clog-Pruf
Blade: Treet Super #4
Post: (The Much Missed) SunburyBoy Barbershop Bay Rum, Kiehl's Ultimate Men's ASB

Result: Very nice. The Treet carbon blade is truly a great cutting edge and superior to the Gem, in my opinion. Loving the Barbershop Bay Rum.

All the best,

Jon

I was under the impression that they came from the same factory. Or are you saying it's a vintage carbon that is better than modern coated?

UKRob said:
jds said:
Monday xiv November, 2014

Prep: Hot shower, Korres Wheat Face Soap
Pre: Cold Water splash, TOBS Herbal Pre-Shave Gel
Brush: Vie - Long 14080 Horse & Badger
Soap: Jabonman Neroli - Menta - Pomelo
Razor: Micromatic Clog-Pruf
Blade: Treet Super #4
Post: (The Much Missed) SunburyBoy Barbershop Bay Rum, Kiehl's Ultimate Men's ASB

Result: Very nice. The Treet carbon blade is truly a great cutting edge and superior to the Gem, in my opinion. Loving the Barbershop Bay Rum.

All the best,

Jon

I was under the impression that they came from the same factory. Or are you saying it's a vintage carbon that is better than modern coated?

Hey Rob,

It's definitely different as I have to dry the Treet and store it in a moisture free environment. It's not vintage, but I am sure it is carbon steel and I recall reading somewhere that it has a different edge profile. I left one in a razor once and the next morning it was completely rusted up, which I never see with a GEM PTFE.

I found this narrative about SE blades...

"American Safety Razor/Personna is by far the largest producer of single edge blades that are suitable for shaving. They manufacture the Treet, Gem Blue Star, CVS brand and PAL blades. Treet, Gem Blue Star and CVS blades are uncoated carbon steel blades that come packaged in a grey, vault type dispenser that has a slot to place used blades in. They have 009 RD stamped on the spine, which denotes the blades thickness, .009 inches, and RD is for regular duty. It is possible that these are the same blades, I have used a large number of each and cannot tell them apart.

PAL blades are also carbon steel but have a dark blue coating, and have the word PAL stamped on the spine. I have never found PAL blades in any retail stores, but it appears they come individually wrapped in cardboard sleeves and in the ASR vault dispenser. The medical supply sites that I will talk about later sell PAL blades in bulk amounts.

Carbon steel blades will rust or tarnish if they are left in the razor wet. I remove the blade after each use, place it in a folded hand towel and “pat” dry, then store in a small plastic container that has a cotton ball and sometimes a desiccant pack. Even doing this the blades will sometimes develop dark spots on the sides but I have never experienced any rust or tarnish on the blades edge.

ASR also make stainless steel SE blades that are carried primarily by Walgreens drugstores, but they may also be found at independent drug and grocery stores. The stainless blades also come in the same vault type dispenser as the carbon steel brands, but have GEM and STAINLESS stamped on the spine. The package sold at Walgreens doesn't indicate that they are coated, but some members here and at other boards have contacted ASR and were told they are. I cannot confirm this.

ASR also supply blades in bulk amounts to supply companies for use in medical equipment; the two largest of these are www.tedpella.com and www.emsdiasum.com
Individuals can purchase blades from these medical supply sites and they usually come with 100 blades packaged in white boxes with the blades individually wrapped in a protective cardboard sleeve. www.razorbladesandmore.com sell these boxes in 50 and 100 count. "

Anyway - I like them! Pity they are tricky to get hold of in the UK

Monday

Afternoon, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Yuma
Blade: Tesco own band (3)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave soap: Palmolive
Aftershave: M&S Harvard
Cologne:

Monday November 24, 2014

Monday November 24, 2014

185454d1416834467-sun-november-23th-sat-november-29th-sotd-24112014.jpg

Mastro Livi "100 Layers" Damascus

Yet another perfect shave! Mastro Livi damascus steel is always capable of giving a super smooth and velvety touch, not to mention the deep and impeccable shave. I love this razor for many reasons. The beautiful Mastro Livi carbon Damascus steel, made of 100 layers and with a lovely wood pattern, and its juniper scales with their wonderful aroma. The extra hollow ground is a genuine work of art and talent - completely hand made, of course - making this straight razor sing.​

• Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Vitos Red
  • Brush: Focus 103 Bristle Brush
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "100 Layers" Damascus, 13/16 Extra Hollow, Square Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum Aftershave

Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: CRSW Select Sandalwood
Brush: Bethlehem olivewood handle, 24mm Pur-Tech synthetic
Razor: Ikon Deluxe OC
Blade: NOS UK Wilkinson Sword (8)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ASB/EdT
Pure scent heaven! Last use of this blade, started feeling 'tuggy'. I didn't want to push it so settled for a 3-pass DFS.
IMG_20141124_063802.jpg

Prep- Hot towel
Soap- Stirling Rose
Brush- Muhle STF V2
Razor- ATT M1
Blade- Personna Lab Blue [1]
Post- Thrumpers Coral Skinfood, Amouage Lyric EdP

A fine shave this morning for my attendance at a funeral.

Shave for 24 November

The Omega Pro 49 is coming into fine fashion and worked up a solid lather with the Vintage Williams. The Type F Schick Injector is one of the most aggressive of the injectors made by Schick. It produced a highly efficient 2 Pass BBS again. Another A/S testing and this time it is Master Checkered Flag. It is nice citrusy fragrance but is not a long lasting fragrance in terms of strength so if you want something to last longer seek another product. All in all a very nice shave.

15871907955_f8aed51109_c.jpg

GDCarrington said:
The Type F Schick Injector is one of the most aggressive of the injectors made by Schick. It produced a highly efficient 2 Pass BBS again.

What's doin Gary,

So strange seeing what you typed about that razor, since my experience has been the opposite. I find it to be probably be the mildest of any non adjustable injector, which suits me fine. I can't believe we're talking about the same thing.

I am thinking you either got a dud blade, or accidentally ran it across the bar when loading which is easy to do. Although, that wouldn't give it more bite. Maybe you just gotta rogue F type! Or, maybe yours is normal and mine is Abby Normal.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom