Prep: Hot shower, Korres Wheat Face Soap
Pre: Cold Water splash, TOBS Herbal Pre-Shave Gel
Brush: Vie - Long 14080 Horse & Badger
Soap: Jabonman Neroli - Menta - Pomelo
Razor: Digress HD
Blade: NOS Schick Krona #1
Post: SunburyBoy Barbershop Bay Rum w. 444 Gel, Kiehl's Ultimate Men's ASB
Fragrance: Knize Forest Toilet Water

Result: What a great blade. So sharp and smooth. Very impressed. Only one, or two at a stretch, days left for the last of my Jabonman soap. What a pleasure it is to use. On the look out for another pack....

All the best,

Jon

Tuesday

Morning, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Yuma
Blade: Tesco own band (4)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave soap: La Toja
Aftershave: Pashana Original
Cologne:

Face wash with Waitress glycerine soap
Feather Artist Club DX non-folding / Pro Blade
Simpson “Chubby” 3 Manchurian Cobalt
L'Occitane Cade shaving soap
Proraso Green A/S
Tom Ford Italian Cypress

14534992186_7f24b19406_c.jpg

IMG_7170.JPG

GFT Eucris Shaving Soap
Kent Infinity Silvertex
CV Heljestrand MK.24 3/8 Half Hollow/French Oblique
Muhle R41 - Gillette Silver Govt. L3/1966 [4]
Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Pinaud Clubman Musk Aftershave Cologne
GFT Eucris Eau De Toilette

Cold Water
Face Lathered
One Pass - WTG (CV Heljestrand MK.24 3/8)
One Pass - XTG (Muhle R41)

First cold water shave, close but a little irritable the Muhle picking up the strays and polishing after the straight edge shave. An experience.

Regarding Eucris soap, I have read again and again how folks consider it a fairly poor soap that doesn't lather up well and does not provide good cushion. Advice seems to be to make an extended lather, but I think I have two further points to make: first, use cold water to load; second, lather, then let the brush sit for a few minutes before re-lathering.

With an almost dry brush, flicked out once but not excessively and cold water loading seemed to keep any unwanted foaming down. Face lathered onto a cold washed face gave a much better lather than I've seen with this soap when using warm water but it still fell away quite soon. Having left the brush to stand, I re-lathered adding just a touch of water as I went. Now I was getting a decent cover.

Coverage was not voluminous, but it was thick and over-painted adequately, not falling away until a good few minutes; certainly sufficient time to gain a pass with safety razor but I did have to re-lather mid-pass using the straight.

Why persist? Well GFT Eucris is such a great scent, having it in a soap makes the juice worth the squeeze.

Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: J.F.Martin's Peppermint
Brush: Bethlehem olivewood handle, 24mm Pur-Tech synthetic
Razor: Ikon Deluxe OC
Blade: NOS Polsilver (1)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel & Myrsol Emulsion followed by Jovan Musk EdT
WOW, simply wow! This is a jar full of awesome! The soap is amazingly easy to lather, is slicker than snot-on-a-doorknob, and packs a minty-menthol kick.
I'm not a fan of menthol on cold winter mornings, but I can see this being a go-to in the summer! Now to find more...
IMG_20141125_064310.jpg

25 November Shave

The Omega Pro 49 is coming into fine fashion and this time worked up a good lather with the Soap Commander since it is the fourth use of the brush. The fragrance of Soap Commander was somewhat dismal. I could barely, and I mean barely detect a note of an Old Spice type scent which was totally overwhelmed by the smell of Shea Butter. I can easily discern what an Old Spice type should smell like easily without any references and this soap does not have it. Unless this is a bad soap batch, I would not recommend this soap based on the hopes of receiving an Old Spice smell. What my nose received was more like Old Shea Stadium smell. I have a couple of other Old Spice equivalent soaps that are much better at the scent and Mama Bears version is a slightly better latherer in my opinion. I realize that Soap Commander is the soap du jour, and if you enjoy it more power to you, but it is not for me, at least not in this configuration. Maybe with additional scent it might be a better experience, but I may experiment with it some other time. The Short Handled SA with the Big Ben behaved flawlessly. Two pass BBS. The long since discontinued Avon Spicy is a very close approximation of the Old Spice scent. That helped to bring back the Old Spice vibe in the morning. All in all a good shave but I was expecting much better.​

15693304879_263c52b1f1_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom