S.O.T.D. Saturday 29th April to Friday 5th May 2017

SOTD

Prep: warm shower
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Bolzano
Brush: Razorock Synthetic
Soap: Razorock Emperor
Post-shave: warm water, cold water, Windrose alum block, Proraso Aftershave Balm, Razorock Emperor Aftershave Splash

View attachment 24998

Love the scent of the Razorock Emperor. I prefer a scent to be subtle. Not sure I'm going to use a first use blade in an open comb again. It was a close shave but the sting when I applied the alum block. Sure woke me up!! LOL :eek::D

As I shaved this morning I remembered the old Italian barber who would cut my hair when I was a young man, Casear. He was a really great lad, an old school barber, scissors and comb more than trimmers, straight razor on the back of the neck and would use a lighted taper on split ends. A real gentleman.

He told me of when he was conscripted into the Italian army. As he was already trained he became the regimental barber. In his unit was a guy from Sicily, Mafioso country. This lad was illiterate and one day received a letter from his girlfriend and asked Caesar to read it. So Caesar did, looked at the picture of the girlfriend included and commented “Pretty girl!”. “What do you mean by that? You want my girlfriend?” goes the Sicilian lad. Caesar couldn't get the guy to calm down. This lad was out for Caesar's blood.

Not long after Caesar was heading into town from barracks. As he got to the gates the guards warned him that the Sicilian lad and two of his mates were waiting for him. Caesar goes back into barracks and puts a cut-throat up both wrists and heads out. Sure enough he got pulled by the Sicilian lad and his mates. “We're going to give you a beating” goes the Sicilian. Caesar pulls out the cut-throats, flick them open and says “Try!”. His would-be assailants looked at Caesar for a while and then the Sicilian lad says “Hey! You're alright!”. Caesar and the Sicilian lad were the best man at the others wedding. :)
A great story about Caesar....those hot blooded Sicilian's, hot blooded and hot headed! :)

Sunday 30 April 2017

H26Bpsm0Jg8EQBaj63k-sPC8nAhATcK-LltzDQdtMhD743ViDqevB9KiCzKqa8XZiPUiOgGKGzNI7kqWxU4OBkpdKSTIKyMrlA=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi Stainless Damascus, 8/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point

This straight razor is just one more proof of Mastro Livi's superior skill in forging stainless steel. This straight razor is in fact made by a totally artisan made stainless damascus steel and, moreover, it is completely made from martensitic stainless steels. This means this stainless steel damascus is perfectly suitable for hardening and making cutting edges. It was made two years ago by Mastro Livi in his workshop and I witnessed its making, just like all the straight razors he made for me. Today Mastro Livi calls his artisan made stainless damascus steel as "ArtInox" and this razor was one of the very first ones he made by making this type of stainless damascus steel. As a matter of fact, Mastro Livi experiments with new steels all the time, including modern steels, and he has always been committed in researching and experimenting new steels and forging techniques. This straight razor is just one of the countless results he has been capable of achieving in the course of his sixty-two years committed to straight razors making and steel processing. Shaving with this straight razor was absolutely impeccable and super comfortable. Of course.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Williams Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Perugia Synthetic Eco-Silvertip, Bois De Rose, 26mm Knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" Stainless Damascus, 8/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point, Black African Ebony
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Mennen Blue

Sunday 30th April 2017
SOTD 30th April.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Hydra Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Ever Ready 1912
Blade: GEM Stainless Steel PTFE coated (#3)
Brush: Hans Baier Silvertip
Soap: Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime
AS: Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime balm and EDT.

Another excellent shave today, this was my third shave with the 1912. I don't know if it is me getting the knack of the 1912 or if the GEM blade has an improved feel after a few uses, but I do know that this razor/blade combination works really well. Now I am really keen to see how this razor works with a shim and with the carbon steel blades I have.

Last edited:
SOTD_20170430-792x1024.png

• Pre-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Oil
  • Straight Razor: R. A. Herder - 70
  • Shaving Brush: JZ - Bethlehem (Synthetic)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary Edition - Beta 4.1
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - 70th Anniversary Edition - Balm

Prep, hot bath followed by Proraso pre shave
Merkur Futur/Astra #3
Tabac soap
Mason Pearson pure badger
Hot/cold rinse, alum block
Real Shaving Co post shave balm
Finished off with a splash of Trumper's West Indian Limes Aftershave.

I'm coming to the conclusion I prefer creams rather than soaps.
They seem to make better lather and cushion more for me.

Razor: Timeless SB 0.95, w/ El Druida Titanium & Carbon Fiber Handle
Blade:Gillette Sliver Blue (1)
Brush: Elite Razor Amigos Ironwood Beehive w/Envy White
Soap: Route 66 Bay Lime Twist
Aftershave: Myrsol Agua de Limon
Boise Mudworks bowl Olive
View attachment 25002
That's a cool handle you have on your razor, great bowl too. :)

Back
Top Bottom