S.O.T.D. Saturday 30th July 2016 to Friday 5th August 2016

Greetings
Tuesday 2nd August 2016
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop Early Model A 1904 1907 Pat.
Blade: Valet
Brush: Thater 2 Band
Soap: Palmolive Stick Grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDT: Serge Lutens Chergui

A very good fifth shave from this blade following fifteen laps on the feox pasted calf leather strop. This is my earliest and only rare Valet razor (or rare any razor) it is silver plated and in great condition.

Regards
Dick.

P1010739.JPG

Monday 1st
OSP - Peppermint & Rosemary
Zenith TS506 Synthetic
Ever Ready Natural Angle - Heavy Flat Top
GEM Stainless PTFE #1
Alum > Duru Lemon Cologne
Gillette Series 3in1 Balm
G|Bellini X-Bolt EDT
IMG_20160731_214151.jpg

I usually use one of the Natural Angle razors for the GEM blade on 1st use. I find it perfect for breaking the blade in.
I also 'found' this perfect razor cradle in the hotel dining room whilst on holiday.
Hi Arthur,
Welcome back. I am thanks to you on the Duru , really nice for hot days.
Mike

image.jpg Good morning all, August 2nd SOTD
Day 7 with my Hone type 15 using a gellette silver blue!
As usual I started with my usual routine of shower while brush soap lathering bowl and razor are soaking in hot water.
Fully hydrated, splash bloom water on face and its shave on.
I performed my usual three pass shave W X and against the grain.
On this occasion that was all I needed because the silver Blues were as good as the Astra SPs leaving me with a super smooth face with zero irritation......fantastic!
I can not decide out of the four I've tried which blade came first because the Astra and the Gellette were so close, so in joint first place the Astra SP and the Gellette Silver Blue, second place goes to the feather, last but not least goes to the voskhod which works fantastically in my other razors but not so well in the H15.
It has been an absolute joy using this razor over the week and I have found it to be extremely smooth but extremely effective, giving me fantastic smooth irritation free shaves day after day. I can not recommend this razor highly enough, if you require a mild but effective razor that not only does the job and does it well it looks fantastic too this may be the razor for you too.
The smooth looking handle is not slippery even when wet, the brass body holds the heat very well indeed and for me the weight of it was not a problem, it felt good in my hands.
I hope you have enjoyed my instalments over the last 7 days as much as I have.
My other razors are feeling left out so tomorrow I will be using something else, possibly my Gellette fat boy!
I hope you have a wonderful day, that's me done, over and out.

Last edited:
Tuesday 2 August 2016

SOTD-02082016.jpg

Mastro Livi for USA

Vacation time. I decided to put in my luggage the two latest Mastro Livi straight razors I recently added to my collection because I want to try them both and enjoy them as much as possible. I therefore ended up taking with me the two CarboInox razors with scales in which there is an insert of the flags of Italy and USA. Last Sunday I tried the one with Italian flag, so today has been the turn of the straight razor having the USA flag. They are both magnificent with superb CarboInox blades, including this one having a simpler pattern however beautiful. Not to mention how smooth and effective it is in shaving, giving - just like all Mastro Livi razors - a very close and velvety shave. The finishing touch has been delivered by my super cool and super refreshing Thyrrenus aftershave, ensuring a cooling relief from summer heat.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Aquagena Shaving Soap
  • Brush: MÜHLE Modern 281 H 23, Fine Badger, Pine - 21 mm knot
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox USA, 13/16 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

Greetings
Tuesday 2nd August 2016
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop Early Model A 1904 1907 Pat.
Blade: Valet
Brush: Thater 2 Band
Soap: Palmolive Stick Grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDT: Serge Lutens Chergui

A very good fifth shave from this blade following fifteen laps on the feox pasted calf leather strop. This is my earliest and only rare Valet razor (or rare any razor) it is silver plated and in great condition.

Regards
Dick.

P1010739.JPG
Ah Chergui, a great scent for those cooler days. Great choice @Norfolkdick !

DSC_0391_zpsjnj9hg4a.jpg

Three Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
CV. Heljestrand SE
Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade x 5
French Fitchard Pure Badger
Tabac Tallow Soap
Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had the Most Wonderful Shave this Morning with my CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher & Hollow Ground Blade..This Swedish work of Art is just the Dogs Danglies..Air Craft Precision Engineering of the Day..I am of the Opinion that No Factory SE Razor can Look Near this Razor for Comfort & Over All Performance & a Luxurious Shave..This is One Darn Luxurious Shaver Indeed..:p

Anybody that is Having the Slightest Tugging Issues with these Hollow Ground Blades...Well..They are Not Proper Shave Ready & that's it in a Nut Shell..The Weight of the Razor is Too Much..Too Much Pressure..The Touch Needs to be Lighter then Light..Like a Feather Blowing in the Wind..o_O

This is a Real Hussies SE cause it demands a Woman's Touch..I Rinsed with Cold Water & Applied My Witch Hazel & Not even a Hint of a Sting..I am thinking of Doing away with my Schick Twin Blade Shaving System because this CV. Heljestrand is has Just Taken Over that Role for Me..:eek:

I am On My 5th Shave Since Honing this Blade & its Just Settled in..It has a Killer Edge But as Smooth a Butter Knife on the Face..I have the Most Perfect all Over Every Darn Direction BBS Result & My Skin is Velvety Smooth..:cool:

I Am of the Opinion that these Hollow Ground Blade SEs are the Grand Ultimate Shaving Instruments with a Properly Honed & Sharpened Blade..Oh..Yeah..Anybody that has One of these CV. Heljestrands..Use the Guard Bar..If You Don't Lift the Guard Bar You will Prematurely Blunt the Blade by Slipping it Down..Its Subtle but it Effects them Over Time.;)

That's Why its there & that's Why I Stopped Using Lather Catchers without a Guard Bar..Thats Me Talkin Tho..:D

Billy

View attachment 19995 Good morning all, August 2nd SOTD
Day 7 with my Hone type 15 using a gellette silver blue!
As usual I started with my usual routine of shower while brush soap lathering bowl and razor are soaking in hot water.
Fully hydrated, splash bloom water on face and its shave on.
I performed my usual three pass shave W X and against the grain.
On this occasion that was all I needed because the silver Blues were as good as the Astra SPs leaving me with a super smooth face with zero irritation......fantastic!
I can not decide out of the four I've tried which blade came first because the Astra and the Gellette were so close, so in joint first place the Astra SP and the Gellette Silver Blue, second place goes to the feather, last but not least goes to the voskhod which works fantastically in my other razors but not so well in the H15.
It has been an absolute joy using this razor over the week and I have found it to be extremely smooth but extremely effective, giving me fantastic smooth irritation free shaves day after day. I can not recommend this razor highly enough, if you require a mild but effective razor that not only does the job and does it well it looks fantastic too this may be the razor for you too.
The smooth looking handle is not slippery even when wet, the brass body holds the heat very well indeed and for me the weight of it was not a problem, it felt good in my hands.
I hope you have enjoyed my instalments over the last 7 days as much as I have.
My other razors are feeling left out so tomorrow I will be using something else, possibly my Gellette fat boy!
I hope you have a wonderful day, that's me done, over and out.
Those Astra SP's ,Gillette Silver Blues and Voskhod are wonderful blades..all that is required in my opinion , for a fantastic smooth shave, as you well know they probably give wonderful results in most DE razors..sometimes i have to say the more cheaper blade option, is just as good ,if even better in some cases than the so called best blades on the market..thanks yet again for the informative insight and review on your Hone 15. regards.;)

Last edited:
Tuesday AM 2016-08-02

Georgetown Pottery G20 scuttle
Rooney 2/1 Finest (20mm/57mm)
AOS Sandalwood shaving soap (tallow) + Cyril Salter Indian Sandalwood shaving cream
Feather AS-D2/Windrose Z1
Gillette Platinum 'Swede' (5)
Floris Santal aftershave

The AOS and Salter made a good superlather, but the is a little too thick for that purpose. I may use them separately instead, alternating.
NxUXZCJ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom