S.O.T.D. Saturday 31st December 2016 to Friday 6th January 2017

Good evening gents and Happy New Year,

Another shave of disappointments. I found the SV 70th anniversary soap to have very little scent and what scent there was uninspiring....I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere.

Unfortunately my SV 70th anniversary aftershave balm has turned to jelly, so it will have to be sent back. What little I managed to get out I liked.

Third outing for the Blackbird, this time with the SB and Rapira Platinum blade.
I still found it uncomfortable to use in places due to the sharp edges.
It looks like this Bird is flying back to the States.

Back to work tomorrow after two weeks off...Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more....

Cheers
Rob

Rob,
The Blackbird really has it's own personality and "the window" in which it proforms and feels good is much smaller compared to other razors.
I got a frist generation SB when it was released, these had baseplates with quite sharp edges. I think Shane modified these a bit on the following batches. For me the tricky thing was to figure out the correct shaving angle. In general you can say that when the edge of the solid bar causes irritation, the angle is not optimal and needs adjustment. You can end with a situation where the solid bar removes the lather from your skin before the blade does it's cutting.
Just before Christmas the new OC Blackbird arrived. I only used it once but it is for sure more aggresive than the SB but with the experience from the SB, it gave me a close shave.
A trick that worked well for me was / is to use the Blackbird with the mildest blades in my den. Using mild blades like Ascos or Kai made it possible for me to get pratice with the SB and to improve my skills and adjusting my technics to the razor. With the SB I am using normal blades now but with the OC I went back to mild blades to start the way up along the learning curve.

I hope you get some nice shaves with the Blackbird soon.

Best Regards
Marco

Prep: Tüff. Vor der Rasur
Bowl: Fine
Brush: Shavemac TSR 2016 M7 Extreme
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia
Razor: Supply Provision SE with 2 Dot baseplate
Blade: Schick
AS: Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia
74246368-B054-4DD1-92DC-0561000EBA54_zpsxot50qus.jpg

Best Regards
Marco

Rob,
The Blackbird really has it's own personality and "the window" in which it proforms and feels good is much smaller compared to other razors.
I got a frist generation SB when it was released, these had baseplates with quite sharp edges. I think Shane modified these a bit on the following batches. For me the tricky thing was to figure out the correct shaving angle. In general you can say that when the edge of the solid bar causes irritation, the angle is not optimal and needs adjustment. You can end with a situation where the solid bar removes the lather from your skin before the blade does it's cutting.
Just before Christmas the new OC Blackbird arrived. I only used it once but it is for sure more aggresive than the SB but with the experience from the SB, it gave me a close shave.
A trick that worked well for me was / is to use the Blackbird with the mildest blades in my den. Using mild blades like Ascos or Kai made it possible for me to get pratice with the SB and to improve my skills and adjusting my technics to the razor. With the SB I am using normal blades now but with the OC I went back to mild blades to start the way up along the learning curve.

I hope you get some nice shaves with the Blackbird soon.

Best Regards
Marco

Hi Marco, thanks for sharing your experience, much appreciated.

I tried the Blackbird with a Polsilver first and second time with the Rapria, which I find to be a tad milder. I still found it uncomfortable and aggressive.
I found the OC easier to use but the teeth were too sharp.
I will experiment with a few milder blades and angles and see if there is any improvement.

I'll report back.
Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Greetings

Wednesday 4th January 2017
Prep: Shower
Razor: Le Coq
Blade: Ernst Scharff Rapide
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap: Tabac Stick
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Guerlain Mitsouko

This is perhaps only my fourth shave with this razor as I have found it so damned fierce to shave with when compared with all of my other 'wedge' blade razors. Today I used the very lightest of feather like touches and got a very close shave with no facial soreness, a real result. I have to say it was a very slow shave and frankly hard work when I can shave with similar razors without the need for any real concentration at all. I suspect if one were to shave daily with this razor it would cause you to develop a feather light touch and the whole process would become less taxing and quicker.

I shall not part with it but it seems unlikely to ever become a favourite!

Regards
Dick.

4.1.17.JPG

09be418a8b5c5de4613d2e1960845d27.png

Second DE shave conquered

Prep - hot bath and cornerstone scrub
Razor - Edwin Jagger De89l
Blade - personna platinum
Cream - The Real Shaving Co
Post - cornerstone post shave balm

I have to say for just under £1 I'm extremely impressed with the real shaving co's cream. It lathered in my bowl very easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom