S.O.T.D. Saturday 4th October to Friday 10th October 2014

RazoR'OC'k-tober (10 Oct)
Pre: RazoRock/HTGAM mentholated lime soap
Soap: Super Smooth - Wickham Soap Co. - Bay rum
Brush: Certifyd #5 with 24mm silvertip
Razor: Ikon OSS
Blade: NOS Personna74 (7)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel, followed by Captain's Choice bay rum
First shave with my restored Certifyd brush. Even though this only has a 24mm hybrid-fan silvertip knot, it feels massive on my face.
Soft tips with nice backbone. P74 blade is still going strong but I can tell the edge is starting to fade.
IMG_20141010_064041.jpg

D.R. Harris Sandalwood shaving soap (sample)
Shavemac 177 Silvertip
ATT M2 Kronos
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (4)
Speick ASB
Speick EDT

Used the DR Harris Sandalwood sample again today. Had trouble getting a nice lather from it, perhaps due to the size of the sample?

fancontroller said:
Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Murdock Avalon pre-shave oil
Soap: Grandstaff Illipe & Cocoa Butter
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: Omega 10005 boar
Razor: Ever Ready SE Shovel Head + Cadet handle
Blade: Gem SC (1)
After: Speick Active AS, Nivea ASB

First outing with the Shovel Head. I ditched the original handle as I don't like the hexagonal ones and fitted a Cadet handle instead via a 10mm M5 grub screw. The razor looks in good nick, and once the blade's inserted it did look a tad fierce as the edge seems to lie slightly higher on the comb.
The shave was aggressive, I mean R41 style! I can't blame the lather as it was excellent today so either the blade's a dodgy one or the razor is. I've read that Shovel Heads are supposedly on the mild side. I gave myself a few nicks and suffered a bit of irritation on my neck, so not a pleasant shave really.
I'll try this blade in another SE razor to confirm if the blade's dodgy otherwise this razor may not be my friend anymore :(

Result almost BBS but pain in the making.

Shave on, folks.

SOTD141010_zps8ca48d7f.jpg

Greetings

I consider the ER 1924 (Shovelhead) one of the most aggressive of all SE's, of all the SE's I own IMHO only the GEM OCMM is more aggressive, I can however get a great shave from the 1924 but they do require a more gentle touch than many razors.

Regards
Dick.

Prep- Hot water
Soap- Cella
Brush- Muhle V2
Razor- ATT M1 Kronos
Blade- Personna 'Barber' [4]
Post- Myrsol Agua Balsamica

First use of the brush lathers the Cella like a demon, going to try it on the Stirling soaps next!

FrankieG said:
Shavemac 177 Silvertip
ATT M2 Kronos
Speick ASB
Speick EDT

Used the DR Harris Sandalwood sample again today. Had trouble getting a nice lather from it, perhaps due to the size of the sample?

I'm trying mine tomorrow, and that is a concern for me. Any tips?

mattyb240 said:
FrankieG said:
Shavemac 177 Silvertip
ATT M2 Kronos
Speick ASB
Speick EDT

I'm trying mine tomorrow, and that is a concern for me. Any tips?

I stuck the sample in the bottom of a shaving bowl that I had warmed up in hot water, then tried to load the brush till my wrist couldn't take anymore... The lather still came out frothy, but the shave was surprisingly smooth nevertheless. I imagine it would be much easier to load from a full puck. The scent is rather complex and 'clean' like an expensive bar of bath soap, very nice!

Good luck with your experiment tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom