S.O.T.D. Saturday 4th October to Friday 10th October 2014

FRIDAY MORNING

Pre: Hot rinse
Soap: Sir Irisch Moos stick
Brush: Neep Kenya redstone silvertip
Razor: Schick stick
Blade: Personna
EDT: Joop

Super quick early morning shave. Less than ten minutes with this combo, and a very good result.

Greetings

Friday 10th October 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: PAL Adjustable
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Soap: La Toja Stick Grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Regards
Dick.

DSC05573.JPG

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Murdock Avalon pre-shave oil
Soap: Grandstaff Illipe & Cocoa Butter
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: Omega 10005 boar
Razor: Ever Ready SE Shovel Head + Cadet handle
Blade: Gem SC (1)
After: Speick Active AS, Nivea ASB

First outing with the Shovel Head. I ditched the original handle as I don't like the hexagonal ones and fitted a Cadet handle instead via a 10mm M5 grub screw. The razor looks in good nick, and once the blade's inserted it did look a tad fierce as the edge seems to lie slightly higher on the comb.
The shave was aggressive, I mean R41 style! I can't blame the lather as it was excellent today so either the blade's a dodgy one or the razor is. I've read that Shovel Heads are supposedly on the mild side. I gave myself a few nicks and suffered a bit of irritation on my neck, so not a pleasant shave really.
I'll try this blade in another SE razor to confirm if the blade's dodgy otherwise this razor may not be my friend anymore :(

Result almost BBS but pain in the making.

Shave on, folks.

SOTD141010_zps8ca48d7f.jpg

Cristobal said:
That's a very nice photo indeed!

Thank you, this is kind of you to say. :)

fancontroller said:

I am liking the tub you use for the soap Mike, very posh. What do you think of Grandstaff's soap? Such a shame he has stopped producing it, as I rated it highly and find it very good indeed.

Fox said:
fancontroller said:

I am liking the tub you use for the soap Mike, very posh. What do you think of Grandstaff's soap? Such a shame he has stopped producing it, as I rated it highly and find it very good indeed.

Hi Darron,
The tub was from eBay, they're fairly easy to get for a few quid. Your one with the horses on got me thinking of if. Bone china is a joy to use but not so good when storing the tub in the bathroom manbinet; so it's reserved for my best soaps.

Yes Grandstaff is my favourite I reckon, thanks for recommending it to me. I think the cocoa butter smells ace, a whiff of chocolate and the post shave conditioning is great. Luckily I bought a few pucks before he stopped making them. The ones I got are shown here. They all are great but the new ones (in the black tins) are highly scented. The "Holy Smokes" makes my skin go red during the shave but is ok afterwards, it's still worth it though.

fancontroller said:
Hi Darron,
The tub was from eBay, they're fairly easy to get for a few quid. Your one with the horses on got me thinking of if. Bone china is a joy to use but not so good when storing the tub in the bathroom manbinet; so it's reserved for my best soaps.

Yes Grandstaff is my favourite I reckon, thanks for recommending it to me. I think the cocoa butter smells ace, a whiff of chocolate and the post shave conditioning is great. Luckily I bought a few pucks before he stopped making them. The ones I got are shown here. They all are great but the new ones (in the black tins) are highly scented. The "Holy Smokes" makes my skin go red during the shave but is ok afterwards, it's still worth it though.

Yes Bone china, not so good especially with wet hands. I tend to leave mine out on the side for display. Mrs Fox likes it too, almost like an ornament she tells me. I don't know if you can do the same but I have two soaps in mine, I have Mikes Soaps in the base and a Barrister & Mann sample pressed into the lid. This works really well.

I was lucky to get one of the first Coconut scents in the black tins from Grandstaff, I have stopped shaving with it since he told me he was stopping. I keep telling myself I will use it for special occasions but the truth is I probably won't, so I better carry on using it or it will just sit there. :) I do open the tin to have a whiff every now and again, it smells great, kind of takes me back to Barbados. :D

Fox said:

What a great photo - how many goes did it take to capture that?

Face wash with Pears soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Vintage Perma-Sharp
Simpson 'Rover' Manchurian Butterscotch
Tabac shaving stick
Myrsol Agua Balsamica
YSL - La Nuit De L'Homme Le Parfum EDP

14278237383_2759cd4cba_c.jpg

barlines said:
What a great photo - how many goes did it take to capture that?

Surprisingly it only took 9 shots and about 30 mins in photoshop to join the two photo's. What you see there is two photo's capturing two different splashes, one from either side of the tub. I did make a booboo and realised as soon as I posted it, the reflection on the left exceeds the side of the tub that it is reflecting. Splashes are created by the dropping of coins in an old developing tray of water.

I just done today's SOTD in two shots and 20 minutes in photoshop. The most time spent is setting up the shots and working out how to execute them. I am trying some things out that I have been wanting to do for some time, todays is inspired by a guy who actually sketches the pictures that he is holding, will try to find out his name and include it. I don't have the time to do that so I used a filter to create the artistic pen/ink type effect.

SOTD:

Pretty much on the same lines as yesterday, with a scent change to the SS.

Soap - SS - Southsea Spray
Razor - Gillette Red Tip Rocket
Blades - Feather Stainless
After care - Thayers witch hazel
EDT - Eau Sauvage - Christian Dior

xy19_27e_u2sja.jpg

Have a great day Chaps! :D

Friday

Afternoon, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Derby (7)