S.O.T.D. Saturday 9th May to Friday 15th May 2015

feather as d2
NF 2213
astra sp #1
nanny's bergamot and coriander
boots bay rum a/s

cracking shave - i've had this soap for over 2 years and it's still going strong. smooth shave from the astra - many thanks steve :)

Greetings

Wednesday 13th May
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick G1 Injector
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue 1800 Boar
Soap: Tabac Stick Grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)
EDT: Boucheron Jaïpur Homme

Regards
Dick.

DSC06113.JPG

QkS4wMAl.png

Pre: Neal's Yard Revitalising Face Scrub
Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies Honeysuckle
Brush: Edwin Jagger Best Badger
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2)
Scent: Mont Blanc - Individuel EdT

Nice shave with this great soap.

Wednesday

Morning, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89
Blade: Rapira (5)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave soap: Wickham Southsea Spray
Aftershave: Caldey Abbey
Cologne: Caldey Abbey

The Mystic Water shaving soap is a PITA to lather and stop from dissipating but it provides and excellent, very slick shave. The slickness is on a par with MWF for me.

Whosthedaddy said:
Great looking handle

+1. Care to share the origin p.b?

Acqua Di Parma Collezione Barbiere
Edwin Jagger 23mm Tall Synthetic
ATT R1 Kronos
Perma-Sharp Super (2)
Clinique Post Shave Soother
Borsari Acqua Classica EDC

It's very enjoyable to get back to my ATT after experimenting with carts for a few days in view of upcoming travel :)

it's a copy of the Futur handle, which I've owned and liked.

I don't like long handles (e.g. the 100mm standard Mongoose one that I tried on Erik's pass-around) and I found the Mongoose far too head heavy with a dia 12mm Bulldog 85mm , so much so that I was going to sell it. But before I sold it I wanted to try it with a handle that was max 85mm in length, more balanced like the Futur but less slippery than a polished Futur handle. It also has a M5 pilot hole (dia 4.2mm that extends about 45mm into the handle to shift the weight to the base.)

One of the machinists at work made this for me (see above) but as his primary job is machining prototype engines finishing isn't his forte so last weekend I clamped it into a drill chuck and spent an hour with a great deal of wet and dry and Peek polish. It's not Mongoose perfect and the knurling leaves a lot to be desired but much nicer than it was.

Maggard MR6
Super Max Platinum
Vie Long Horsehair
KMF Lavender Shave Cream
Nivea Balm
Bowling Green Aftershave

p.b said:

it's a copy of the Futur handle, which I've owned and liked.

I don't like long handles (e.g. the 100mm standard Mongoose one that I tried on Erik's pass-around) and I found the Mongoose far too head heavy with a dia 12mm Bulldog 85mm , so much so that I was going to sell it. But before I sold it I wanted to try it with a handle that was max 85mm in length, more balanced like the Futur but less slippery than a polished Futur handle. One of the machinists at work made this for me (see above) but as his primary job is machining prototype engines finishing isn't his forte so last weekend I clamped it into a drill chuck and spent an hour with a great deal of wet and dry and Peek polish. It's not Mongoose perfect and the knurling leaves a lot to be desired but much nicer than it was.

That is one beautiful and functional looking handle. Best of luck.

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Wednesday 13 May 2015

200968d1431518292-sun-may-10th-sat-may-16th-sotd-13052015.jpg

F.W. Engels, 11/16 Full Hollow, Spike Point

I have always liked spike points in straight razors: they always provide a super precise performance, they are unbeatable in certain spots of your face. It is also true they are less forgiving than other point styles, but their precision is the very best. It is the type of point no one would suggest to a newbie, I however admit - when I started using straight razors about 16 years ago - the second straight razor I bought had a spike point. Since then, I added to my collection other razors having a spike point and this lovely Engels is just one of the many.​

• Pre-Shave: Prep Cream
  • Soap: DR K Peppermint
  • Brush: MÜHLE Modern 281 H 23, Fine Badger, Pine - 21 mm - Size M
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: F.W. Engels, 11/16 Full Hollow, Spike Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbria Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Denim White Musk

SOTD - Wed
Pre: RazoRock menthol/lime soap
Cream: JF Martin "Pipes of Pan"
Brush: Vie Long 13065 white horse hair
Razor: Ikon DLC Slant w/SE handle
Blade: NOS Gillette SS 1969 (2)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel with 444 menthol, followed by Village Barber balm
Second time with the JF Martin, just as good as the first. Went a little easy on the water so used less product but still ended up with thick/lush yogurty lather, slick & fragrant. This vintage blade is super smooth in the DLC slant.

DSC08465.JPG

Bulldog Face Wash
Bay Soap Company Arctic Blast w/Kent Infinity Silvertex
GEM Safety Razor Corp 'Test Outfit' & GEM Stainless (3)
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
YSL Kouros Aftershave & EDT

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & WTG (Slide)

Basically, the same as my previous shave with the Star and Bay Soap Company's Grapefruit, but with the GEM equivalent and another Bay Soap Company Soap, a refreshing blend of peppermint and spearmint.

Cold water shave:-
Prep- Cold water splash
Soap- Barrister & Mann 'Seville"
Brush- Muhle V2
Razor- Mongoose
Blade- Kai titan mild [3]
Post- alum, Thayers witch hazel, Fine L'Orange Noir AS

Summery orange theme with cold water, very refreshing. :icon_razz:

Vitos Red soap
Semogue 1520
Weber
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Myrsol Emulsion
Davidoff Coolwater aftershave

Bloody awful 2 pass shave. Blade felt like it had been in the razor for a couple of weeks, very uncomfortable. Myrsol had its work cut out but did a pretty good job. Pain in the ass to get out the bottle though, need a third hand to give the bottom of the bottle good smack. Like the old glass ketchup bottles. Anyway, won't be bothering with a Supersteel again.

Back
Top Bottom