db04df2614ba91d93a451572ec51e8d3.jpg

Prep - Woods Of Windsor Cedar Woods soap / Pre-lather / 3 min steam
Razor - Ever Ready 1912 Peerless
Blade - Personna GEM SE Stainless
Brush - Shavemac Raptor 26/52 DO1 3 Band Bulb
Soap - Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit
After - Frozen towel / Brut Original A/S
Result - Dolphin Smooth

Ahhh.....feels good to be home again. The noise of a 1912 scything through the stubble, I've missed it so much.
After years of looking longingly at the brushes adorning many a SOTD, and thanks to @Nishy and TSR, I now have a brush worthy of the shaves I enjoy, a work of art with a proper workhorse of a knot. Partnered with P&B, it's the best lather I've ever enjoyed. The post shave feel is sublime, definitely one of the top soaps in production today. Shaves just don't come much better than this.
That is one stunning brush, oh how green am I !!!!!

30th March 2016

Bulldog Shower Gel
Meißner Tremonia 'Natural Brown' Stone Pine & Cypress
Macy Associates No.4 w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Face Lathered
Schick E2 & Schick (Chinese) (18)
Single Pass - WTG

IMG_3133_Fotor.jpg

Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Toner
Pino Silvestre Aftershave & EDT
Pinaud Eau De Quinine Hair Tonic​

Face wash, pre shave oil
Proraso Menthol
Oak Handled DE89 with a Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow.
Alum and Headlube matte moisturiser for afters.

New blade and it cut me in places I don't cut, so won't be using them again...

Did you like the brush, Paul?
In a word: no :p

I know it's very reasonably priced but so is my Plissoft from Italian Barber. The handle is very poorly finished (glue marks and moulding marks); the knot has glue all around the base; the knot has a loft of 52mm compared to the advertised knot of 60mm plus there's the biggest glue bump I've ever seen - at least 12mm making this actually a very small knot. After my first use I had a hole in the center of the knot which I managed to shape back into the correct shape. The fibers themselves are very interesting: I can understand why you like the knot / fibers as they are quite best badger like in being reasonably stiff but without scritch. Maybe with a bigger knot (diameter and loft) and a better handle it would work for me but as it is the only reason I'm keeping it is to use it as a template for Mervyn as the handle shape is very comfortable :)

An interesting experience but it doesn't get past the knock-out stage.

In a word: no :p

I know it's very reasonably priced but so is my Plissoft from Italian Barber. The handle is very poorly finished (glue marks and moulding marks); the knot has glue all around the base; the knot has a loft of 52mm compared to the advertised knot of 60mm plus there's the biggest glue bump I've ever seen - at least 12mm making this actually a very small knot. After my first use I had a hole in the center of the knot which I managed to shape back into the correct shape. The fibers themselves are very interesting: I can understand why you like the knot / fibers as they are quite best badger like in being reasonably stiff but without scritch. Maybe with a bigger knot (diameter and loft) and a better handle it would work for me but as it is the only reason I'm keeping it is to use it as a template for Mervyn as the handle shape is very comfortable :)

An interesting experience but it doesn't get past the knock-out stage.

What a shame!

The set I got don't have issues other than one appears have a slightly mis-set knot and the lighter handles have stains in the plastic, but no glue issues. I've got a wooden handle one coming, too. Yes, 52mm. That suits me really well as I have a good number of synthetics with more presentation, but really like one I set myself into a lovely Vie-Long Amphora shaped base with a shorter loft ... about 50mm. I agree that the handle is a good shape and quite comfortable.

Compared to Plisson/oft, I prefer this knot. Compared to Muhle Silvertip Fibre, I think I prefer this knot. I think. Curious, too, as I abhor badger. Go figure ...

What a shame!

The set I got don't have issues other than one appears have a slightly mis-set knot and the lighter handles have stains in the plastic, but no glue issues. I've got a wooden handle one coming, too. Yes, 52mm. That suits me really well as I have a good number of synthetics with more presentation, but really like one I set myself into a lovely Vie-Long Amphora shaped base with a shorter loft ... about 50mm. I agree that the handle is a good shape and quite comfortable.

Compared to Plisson/oft, I prefer this knot. Compared to Muhle Silvertip Fibre, I think I prefer this knot. I think. Curious, too, as I abhor badger. Go figure ...

That wooden handle one does look lovely. I can understand why many would prefer this knot but I do like the silky softness of a good synthetic.

Pre shave: cup of coffee, toast and lime marmalade followed by a warm shower.
Soap: NSS Ice and Slice
Brush: Simpson's Colonel
Razor: Gillette Rocket HD
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (first use)
Post shave: Thayers Original Witch Hazel

0c98f13aefd7770c7d030f270212b97d.jpg

2 passes, WTG & XTG

Actually I haven't had my shave yet, I'm just about to make the coffee!

Edit:
Slight change, I had a soft boiled egg with my toast and coffee. I'm not impressed with the Rapira Swedish Steel blade, it was smooth enough, just not close. I really needed a third pass. I suspect they will join the Voshkhods and Lords in the unused razors box.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom