(SAW) Soap A Week club , Sun 17 Jan - Sat 23 Jan, Nanny's Silly Soap.

Monday 18-01-2016

Nanny's Silly Soap Yushu Original
Shavemac TSR Xmas Anchor 2-band Silvertip Bulb

Alcoso Vintage Shavette - Face
Wilkinson Sword EU blade (2)

Aristocrat #22 - Head
Wilkinson Sword EU blade (3)

GFT Rose skinfood

I had a bit of trouble loading this soap with the bulb profile of the Shavemac - I found that when I put pressure on the soap when loading I was badly mushing & demolishing the soap & it seemed like I was only really loading the central tips of the knot which would become saturated with soap - I could really have done with loading the whole profile of the bulb knot so that I have enough soap product in the lather. I plan to use a fan knot tomorrow and see how this goes.

It felt like the Yushu soap was not as slick as NSS Vetiver original soap (THAT I LOVE), however with the problem I had with loading the soap, I wouldn't make a final judgement on the soap until I have tried other brushes.

Really nice refreshing scent!

Hot towels
NSS English Rose
Semogue 830 boar
Woodhead mega scuttle
Ikon 104 tech head, OSS handle
Super-max super platinum
Alum
TOBS Sandalwood Cologne
Shave a bit more tricky today as the tech head is quite aggressive. The soap lathered up well and was slick and cushioning. Love the smell as its a proper rose scent, you can detect the green. Wasn't paying attention and the razor bit me on the chin. Only a small nick but due to the warfarin it looked like I'd cut my throat:) Arabian nights tomorrow.

NSS French Lavender
Omega boar
Weber
Polsilver SI
Myrsol Emulsion

I bought this soap for my dad about 18 months ago so thought I'd borrow it for the week. I'm not sure which variety of soap it is. It's soft and in a very small blue plastic pot. And here lies a problem; my brush only just fit in the pot and swirling it round to pick up the soap was really tricky. I ended up with too little soap on the brush and this lead to a thin frothy lather. But... It was still a very comfortable shave. I had to keep returning to the pot between passes but it was very slick and a great scent too.

Next time I'll try scooping a blob out and smearing it on the bottom of a bowl and bowl lathering rather than face.

This soap is becoming greater and greater. Love it. Lavender. Recently I have received two lavender scent. This is closest to what I call Lavender. The other one, well, hard to define as just lavender. Puig, Ach Brito, L'Occitane... and Nanny's. Lavenders...
AP Donovan Green Juniper wood handle with Seygus head
Perma Sharp blade (from Gillette)
Frank Shaving, finest badger, 24*54, butterscotch resin handle
Nanny's Silly Soap, Signature, Fench Lavender+ Rosemary (I don't smell Rosemary)
Thierry Mugler cologne (close to Creed Vetiver, 6 times cheaper)

IMG_20160118_092715604_zps8bdy9rkn.jpg

Pre: Zirh pre-shave oil
Soap: NSS Vanilla original
Brush: L'Occitane synthetic
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Razor: ATT S1 + Kronos handle + Rapira Stainless Steel (3)
Post: WH, Fine Fresh Vetiver AS, Dapper Soothe Talker ASB

Finished off the last of this soap after 3 years. I have been getting glorious lather from it. Vanilla was a great scent but I think the Down Home Summer scent still beats it. Next one to buy for me would be Moroccan Sands Signature.

1601_NSS_001_zpsfvchwxwx.jpg

Tomorrow I'll continue with NSS Cedarwood and Vetyver hard soap. It's also 3 years old and always was more difficult to lather. Lately it's shrunk and yellowed but still smells divine. I'll give it a soak and I'll see how it performs in the morning.

1601_NSS_002_zpsswnu5l9n.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow I'll continue with NSS Cedarwood and Vetyver hard soap. It's also 3 years old and always was more difficult to lather. Lately it's shrunk and yellowed but still smells divine. I'll give it a soak and I'll see how it performs in the morning.

1601_NSS_002_zpsswnu5l9n.jpg

I guess that is the Hard Shaving Soap? How did it perform originally - pre shrinkage & yellowing? I love the idea of Cedarwood & Vetiver scent, but I've never tried a Hard Soap from NSS.

I guess that is the Hard Shaving Soap? How did it perform originally - pre shrinkage & yellowing? I love the idea of Cedarwood & Vetiver scent, but I've never tried a Hard Soap from NSS.

Right from the start I found the hard soap more difficult to lather and has given me some thin lathers as a result. I think the trick to it is to load well and spend a little more time (bowl) lathering. I've also found a synthetic brush gives better results, so tomorrow I'll attack it with my Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic. I don't know if it has lost its performance over the years but tomorrow I'll find out.

I used the French Lavender hard soap again this morning with my Clog Pruf. Lathered with a badger/boar Semogue brush and it was great. I was going to use the Yushu soft soap tomorrow but TBH I might just stick with this.

Enjoying the Nanny's week so far!

edit: To echo the post above loading realtively heavily with a brush with a fair backbone seems to give the best results.

I got my first and only NSS last week and I tried it for the first time today having only just read this thread and realising it is this week's soap.
It's the Signature Lemon, Basil and Mandarin. The smell is very lemon forward with slight mandarin hints. I don't even know what basil is supposed to smell like so can't comment! Once lathered the mandarin was a bit more prominent. Still unsure about the basil...
Lathering was easy with my lather monster PantaRei synth. Soap picked up really easily with a fairly dry brush after a couple of swirls. Decided to face lather. Finished lather was very slick and comfortable. The post shave was really silky! All in all a great soap but definitely one for the summer!
41b214124008a0c6ee77e024e26dc7bf.jpg

Pre: shower
Soap: NSS Sigature Lemon, Basil and Mandarin
Razor: Personna Injector
Blade: Personna

Top shave!

My second Nanny's shave this week and this time I used the Citrus Zinger olive oil recipe soft soap. I used the same method as before but this time I used more soap.

I could smell citrus as soon as I started lathering and it was soon ready to apply. Lather, protection, slickness,.. everything was great and the scent is a very nice citrus. Another very comfortable and irritation free shave.

Next time I'll go back to the Moroccan Sands and use more soap.

nsssaw2.jpg

Pre: Proraso sensitive
Soap: NSS - Cedarwood & Vetyver (hard)
Brush: Whipped Dog 24mm synthetic
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Ever Ready Heavy Flat Top + Gem (1)

As this soap has been out of use for a year or so I soaked it for about 6 hours yesterday and it did recover some of its size. This morning I loaded a little more heavily than usual and was rewarded with an excellent lather :cool:. Still has its strong scent after 3 years and yellowed colour has now vanished. The lather reminds me of Speick in that it's yoghurty creamy and has adhesion to the face providing a comfortable slick shave, but boy does this soap pack a Vetiver punch - damn fine. :cool:
In fact I usually don't get a very close shave with this ER razor but today I finished with a lovely BBS; maybe first time with this razor - so something about this lather today was magical. :cool:
Skin does now feel a little tight (which is not a bad thing really) so I might use a more moisturising ASB tomorrow.

NSS_Vetyver_lather_zpsaqy58s4u.jpg

Wed 20-01-2016
Nanny's Silly Soap Yushu Original
Semogue 208 boar
Feather AS-D2
Wilkinson Sword EU blade (1)
Nivea cream

Better loading this time with the fan shaped boar knot, because of my trouble loading last time I built the lather on the puck to make sure I had enough product. The soap allowed a generous ammount of water to be added without going thin or watery. Nice overall shave however I think the protection was still not on par with other NSS soaps.

I'll grab my tub of Down Home Summer for tomorrow's shave.

d185748bd35dba7d6a132c442f415aed.jpg

Glad to discover again this soap. Sometimes reviews are so unfair. I read something about these soaps long time ago and try to avoid them for a while. But it was a mistake. I've made a review of the signature Yushu scent (before give away to my brother in law) in the biggest Spanish forum. Hope Sharon stills making soap for a couple of centuries.

Tues:
Prep: hot bath; Kiehl's Facial Fuel face wash; hemp oil
Soap: Patchouli (hard)
Brush: Virginia Sheng flat top finest in a TGN handle
Razor: 1962 Tech; lab blue (new)
Post: cold rinse; Thayer's witch hazel (rose); Mitchell's hand & body lotion
A big soap with a big earthy scent - undiminished after 2 or so years of keeping. Applied after whipping up in a ramekin, I found the lather a bit chalky. 2 passes: wtg and xtg - my usual rinse and re-lather between passes 1 and 2. Slickness fair and a reasonable shave but overall a bit drying given that my face dislikes winter weather. Might just save for summer.

You can see I've been away from the forum for a while as I've only just come across this thread. Very honoured gents to be the subject of SAW and glad to see most of you managing to get a decent shave, more or less.
Seeing the picture of the old little blue jar was a blast from the past!!
On a separate note, what does putting @ before someone's user name do? I've seen it done before my username, but I don't get a notification or anything.

Back
Top Bottom