(SAW) Soap A Week club , Sun 17 Jan - Sat 23 Jan, Nanny's Silly Soap.

I haven't used it this week but I took some NSS Ice&Slice with me to Lanzarote in November and that's a soap that suits the warm weather. Really good performance, nice scent and a fantastic menthol finish. Good in the cold as well - get a bit of menthol up your nose.

I've got a couple of others I've not tried so I'll have to have a go tomorrow.

Today is another French Lavender Festival de Jour. One of my favourite from now on.
Razor: Seygus open long comb prototype in yellow brass
Blade: Personna red, #4 uses
Brush: Old (~2000) VieLong in pure badger
NSS S French Lavender
EdC Lavender Puig in atomizer

IMG_20160121_073834_zpscplrbj55.jpg

Pre: S.M.Novella pre-shave
Soap: NSS - Cedarwood & Vetyver (hard)
Brush: Omega boar 10005
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Gem OC Micromatic + Gem (2)

Using a boar brush I still get a thick yoghurty lather which was a joy to use. The T&H No.10 is an oilier ASB than I usually use but it seems to have helped the slight tight skin feel afterwards.

@SoapAlchemist : Sharon, good to see you on this thread. I was musing this morning - have thought about vanilla and vetiver as a scent?

NSS French Lavender
FS pur-tech 28mm synth
Weber
Polsilver SI
La Toja AS

Scooped a blob into a bowl and bowl lathered - great result. Lovely thick and slick lather. Great shave again, love the scent!

Thurs 21-01-2016
Nanny's Silly Soap Down Home Summer Original
Semogue BC Texugo
Feather AS-D2
Wilkinson Sword EU blade (2)
Nivea cream

Better lather from my Down Home Summer soap than what I had for the previous two days with Yushu (maybe its in my mind?). Nice scent, great slickness and protection. No problems loading this soap & no problems with the water-soap ratio.

My only comment is that the scent seems a bit neither here nor there - not floral enough, not woody enough. Anyone else have Down Home Summer?

My only comment is that the scent seems a bit neither here nor there - not floral enough, not woody enough. Anyone else have Down Home Summer?

My favourite NSS scent (although I'm yet to try Moroccan Sands). It is a weird one and I couldn't really put my finger on what it was; it just felt like a sunny summer's day - if I remember what this was like :confused: . I think I liked it because it was different and cheerful.

Had a bit of bother today with the lather...
I attacked the Lemon, Basil and Mandarin with my Omega 48 in my usual way but barely created enough lather for 2 passes. Bear in mind this is only my 2nd time with this soap; lesson learnt for next time. I had no problems first time round with my synth... Nonetheless, really liking the scent on this soap. I'll load a bit longer next time.
2ead58f35cf4c611f9dfc3e26e2e8071.jpg

Down Home Summer
Polsilver Blade / Eclipse Red Ring Razor

Used the Down Home Summer for the first time. Lovely scent which for me lies somewhere between citrus and earthy spice.

Performance wise it's a very good soap but as I was face lathering using a small sample tin I couldn't build up enough lather in one go for 3 passes but a mini reload between passes worked fine and led to a rich, smooth and thick lather everytime which I prefer to a thinner lather. As a side note if anyone has not tried NSS then the sample tins contain comfortably enough for plenty of 3 pass shaves - double figures certainly.

My third Nanny's shave of the week and this time I went back to the Moroccan Sands, original recipe. This time I used more soap than before to see if it helped, and it certainly did.

This was my first non-SE shave for a little while and the first time with this razor and blade but it couldn't have gone better. The soap performed brilliantly, with noticeably thicker lather and better glide than before when I used less soap. I ended up with a very comfortable and extremely enjoyable two pass & pickups BBS shave with no bleeding, irritation etc (and that smell, it's fantastic).

So, so-far for me the lessons learnt for Nanny's soap are:
  • It doesn't like much water when lathering.
  • Use a bit more soap than usual.

sotd21116.jpg

Last edited:
@fancontroller I haven't thought of vanilla and vetyver; don't think my safety assessment would cover it, and not planning to introduce any new scents for the time being. Trying to keep things here a little less chaotic, with a fixed 20 scents for the time being. It does sound like an interesting combination though.

Friday:

Used the Down Home Summer soft soap with my NF Tubby 2 and #15 Aristocrat and had a great shave. I'd had a bad shave with this earlier in the week but this time after loading the brush a bit more more I got a really good, slick lather and a top shave. Nice!

Tried the NSS cedarwood & vetyver soap I got a couple of days ago last night, love the scent of this soap. Didn't get a great lather first time around using the same technique I use with Mitchell's with success, but then any cream or soap I've used for the first time I've always messed up lathering in some form or other. Managed to do a 3 pass shave and I do like the post shave feel which was on a par to the fat. Beginning to work out that I'm liking the post shave feel of soaps more than the creams.

Going to have another go with the NSS either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Back
Top Bottom