(SAW) Soap A Week club , Sun 17 Jan - Sat 23 Jan, Nanny's Silly Soap.

Tried the NSS cedarwood & vetyver soap I got a couple of days ago last night, love the scent of this soap. Didn't get a great lather first time around using the same technique I use with Mitchell's with success, but then any cream or soap I've used for the first time I've always messed up lathering in some form or other. Managed to do a 3 pass shave and I do like the post shave feel which was on a par to the fat. Beginning to work out that I'm liking the post shave feel of soaps more than the creams.

Going to have another go with the NSS either tonight or tomorrow morning.

LILYHI (Load it like you hate it) was the answer for this soap for me. Don't be kissing it with the brush, give it a good thrashing. Seems like many are saying they get much better results with more loading of the brush. I also find a synthetic brush gives better results.
See my findings on this thread.

LILYHI (Load it like you hate it) was the answer for this soap for me. Don't be kissing it with the brush, give it a good thrashing. Seems like many are saying they get much better results with more loading of the brush. I also find a synthetic brush gives better results.
See my findings on this thread.

Good call and thanks. On reflection, I also think I gave the soap too much to drink resulting in the thinnish lather and I noted one of your other posts that you started off with a drier brush and a teaspoon of water - I'll give that a whirl. My plissoft is my usual go to brush for now.

I closed my NNS using (I have use it for several times on January, including those days for a review in the Spanish foroafeitado, with Yushi scent). Today I cheat with a German soap from Christmas Eve. It's OK, but NNS is far better. The one from that house Moosmed I have used is another one made for AP Donovan.
Waiting for next SAW. It is really a fun weekly proposal. What next? I'll follow the threads.

Fri 22-01-2016
Nanny's Silly Soap Down Home Summer Original
Shavemac 2-band silvertip bulb
Feather AS-D2
Wilkinson Sword EU blade (3)
Nivea cream

Another great shave with Down Home Summer (DHS). I struggled loading Yushu with this brush due to its softness but DHS is much firmer & loads better. Loaded plenty, not too much trouble finding a good product-water ratio & not much time needed whipping up a nice lather.

Had a bit of bother today with the lather...
I attacked the Lemon, Basil and Mandarin with my Omega 48 in my usual way but barely created enough lather for 2 passes. Bear in mind this is only my 2nd time with this soap; lesson learnt for next time. I had no problems first time round with my synth... Nonetheless, really liking the scent on this soap. I'll load a bit longer next time.
2ead58f35cf4c611f9dfc3e26e2e8071.jpg
Loaded for a bit longer today using my Kent badger brush and my TSR bowl. The result was an abundance of silky lather, far too much! But much happier than yesterday! Really liking this soap and the lemon scent doesn't seem so overpowering now as it did when I first used it 3 shaves ago.

After my yesterday's German cheating experience, back to the cote...
This is the foam I got today, lavender scent, from the NSS signature branch.
Fair add that after several minutes, close to four of them. Not a Monday rush early in the morning. Today is Saturday, at least here.
220e1a9550b01d8d2613c065ba3971cc.jpg

There is enough of every aspect that make us claim Wow! Such a fine stuff.
This is after my second pass, to show how the soap's foam is consistent thorough the full shave.
3167ba22dad27e26e10524ed8273d744.jpg

To conclude the experience I have gotten from NSS Signature Lavender scent just few highlights:
-Use the soap as it comes in the can, avoid drop or pour water over it.
-Squeeze the brush before load soap on it. Load a little more you use to.
-Lather in a bowl, for 2-4'; the most you twirl the brush with the soap into the bowl the better reward soap yields.

Hope these experiences of us add some advice to people who start to adding these soaps to their shaving cabinet.
Have a nice shave

Pre: S.M.Novella pre-shave
Soap: NSS - Cedarwood & Vetyver (hard)
Brush: Mervyn 24mm silvertip
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Weber + Bulldog handle + Rapira Swede SS (2)

Final NSS shave for the week and managed a luxurious lather even with a badger brush. For me the hard soap took more effort than the soft original recipe soap but in the end both produced very nice lather. Not a voluminous cushioned lather but very slick and adhesive one and sure helps get a safe close shave. Scents were bold and uplifting, some of best I have. Skin conditioning left my skin feeling a little taut and I need a more moisturising ASB but skin does feel young and clean. Today's RSC ASB was just right.

I echo Thalasos's previous comments that you need to load your brush a bit more than you'd expect and use water sparingly to produce a thick luxurious lather. If you overwater you'll end up with a disappointing thin lather. I would also recommend a synthetic brush which always seems to create the best lather for these soaps.
I have tried a sample of the Signature soap and found that it was the best of Nanny's range, so that'd be my suggestion.

Would I recommend NNS soap to others? Hell yes. Fantastic scents you won't find anywhere else, great performance, fair price, British made by a member of our very own forums. I can also add that my soaps were 3 years old now and still performing like the day I bought them.

Last NSS shave this week.
Prep: hot bath; Nip+Man face wash; I Coloniali 3 in 1 mango
Brush: Vie Long boar and horse
Soap: Signature bamboo/white grape
Razor: 1962 Slim; vintage Spoiler blade (2nd use)
The Signature is my favourite range of the NSS soaps; bowl lathering gave me heaps of lather and the boar and horse (a nice scritchy brush) did a great job of lifting my whiskers. 3 nice, slick passes. Superb post-shave skin feel. I keep looking at the Down Home Summer; I might sneak a tin in :rolleyes:

Not surprisingly, also my last NSS shave of the week and this time I switched to back to the Citrus Zinger olive oil recipe soap (btw currently, for every olive oil recipe shaving soap you buy from the Nanny's website, Sharon will refund £1.50 back into your paypal account if you add a note to your order :)).

sotd_23_1_16.jpg

Not too much water, plenty of soap - another cracking, rich lather with an unmistakably citrus scent, and another beautiful shave.

I've really enjoyed this SAW and feel I know Nanny's quite a bit better now. Nanny's continues to be one of my favourite soaps and I'd recommend them to anyone providing they follow the two simple rules: don't over-water and use plenty of soap. Getting it right means plenty of thick, luxurious lather that offers great slickness and protection with delicious scents (Moroccan Sands :cool:) and really smooth, healthy post-shave feel. It's really good stuff.:)

Last edited:
Nanny's continues to be one of my favourite soaps and I'd recommend them to anyone providing they follow the two simple rules: don't over-water and use plenty of soap. Getting it right means plenty of thick, luxurious lather that offers great slickness and protection with delicious scents (Moroccan Sands :cool:) and really smooth, healthy post-shave feel. It's really good stuff.:)
100% agree. NSS Moroccan Sands is my #1 soap

Back
Top Bottom