Scents with balls!

Take the cat out of Kouros and you're about there ... it's strong and there's a lot going on, nevertheless.

Fir & pine up first, fresh air, oakmoss, lots of oakmoss, then the rest of the gang join in. It's often likened to Quorum, but I really don't get that - it's an overture of scent, where Quorum is a straight up punch of oakmoss, pine, leather & tobacco. Kouros is an overture. I'd say there's more going on in Sung Homme. Fun!

OK here is an Eau de Cologne that not many of you chaps will be familiar with.
This is quite simply a stunning fragrance, my absolute all time favourite
Its called "Man of Aran", and you can find more information on it here.
http://www.burrenperfumery.com/products/perfumes/manofaran-fragrance.php
I've just been to the 'other' Arran, so I visited Arran Aromatics and bought some of their new-ish 'Citrus Shores'. I don't offer it in the 'Scent with Balls' category - it is a pleasant unisex 'for the office' scent, but I'm just rattling off the anecdote in order to ask for a scent description of the 'Man of Aran'.

Forgot about Encre Noire that has balls, big balls.

Ah yes my good man.... I truly think that could be the absolute favourite of mine. (along, perhaps, with the Guerlain Vetiver).

Haven't, myself, ventured down the Tom Ford wallet emptying exercise so don't know if they would take the crown. I suspect I'm better off not knowing?

I've just been to the 'other' Arran, so I visited Arran Aromatics and bought some of their new-ish 'Citrus Shores'. I don't offer it in the 'Scent with Balls' category - it is a pleasant unisex 'for the office' scent, but I'm just rattling off the anecdote in order to ask for a scent description of the 'Man of Aran'.

They sound quite similar. I reckon the perfumery's description of Man of Aran as a unisex fresh sea cologne with a citrus top note and woody base notes of the mosses, lichens and barks of the Burren, is right on the money. For me personally, the words that came to mind when thinking about how I would describe it were "wholesome", "uplifting" and "earthy". Its a truly great scent for any time of the day but particularly if you shave in the morning as it awakens the senses, and kick starts your day with a punch.

I think its sister fragrance "Winter Woods" might be more up your street in this context. Winter Woods opens with the freshness of Rosemary, Bergamot and Lemon, leads into subtle notes of Iris and Lavender and develops as a woody blend of Cedar, Pine and Vetiver for a long-lasting, quietly masculine fragrance.

To be honest I think "Winter Woods" it is a great scent but maybe not for me. I tend to only wear it occasionally and tend to look for scents with that citrus top note.

Ah yes my good man.... I truly think that could be the absolute favourite of mine. (along, perhaps, with the Guerlain Vetiver).

Haven't, myself, ventured down the Tom Ford wallet emptying exercise so don't know if they would take the crown. I suspect I'm better off not knowing?
I have a couple of Tom Ford scents, to be honest Stan they are not my favourite. Yes they have great longevity and the bouquet is well balanced across the range but neither oud wood or grey vetiver grab me as the best within the Tom ford price range.

Well that makes me feel a little beter then :)

Maybe one day I'll see a tester in a shop somewhere and have a squirt...till then I'll carry on in happy igorance (no change there then)

They sound quite similar. I reckon the perfumery's description of Man of Aran as a unisex fresh sea cologne with a citrus top note and woody base notes of the mosses, lichens and barks of the Burren, is right on the money. For me personally, the words that came to mind when thinking about how I would describe it were "wholesome", "uplifting" and "earthy". Its a truly great scent for any time of the day but particularly if you shave in the morning as it awakens the senses, and kick starts your day with a punch.

I think its sister fragrance "Winter Woods" might be more up your street in this context. Winter Woods opens with the freshness of Rosemary, Bergamot and Lemon, leads into subtle notes of Iris and Lavender and develops as a woody blend of Cedar, Pine and Vetiver for a long-lasting, quietly masculine fragrance.

To be honest I think "Winter Woods" it is a great scent but maybe not for me. I tend to only wear it occasionally and tend to look for scents with that citrus top note.
Think I might try at least one of these....

Huh! I had to go to IKEA this afternoon. There's a Boots on the same park, so hitting the frags was in order ...

I tried loads (again), but came out with four on my skin: Antaeus & Kouros on my wrists, Drakkar Noir and Aramis further up near my elbows. Tuh! I know what I like.

What's great about this thread (and Ted Lapidus Pour Homme) is that I've had a look sideways away from straight Aromatic Fougeres to Oriental/Fougeres. It's opened a whole new world to me, also over to attars. Sadly, that has left me rather thinking that my cabinet of ballsy sprays is somewhat limp now ... attars, particularly with a damn good pack of deer musk or castoreum, are more "Scents with balls and a massive aggressive hard-on!". Thankfully, Kouros and Antaeus are still "all that". Love my vintage Kouros and today has had me put Antaeus to the top of my wish list. Roll on Christmas, although Mrs insists she'll be buying me Balenciaga Porthos in memory of our beautiful mog who was seen off too soon by a passing car just a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom