Scents with balls!

I think "deodorant" is polite in the extreme... But Boy! what longevity! It was still there when I awoke this morning and there's STILL a hint of it now...20 hours and two showers later.

Yes, i think she was being polite in front of the Dior sales rep, but totally agree in performance, shame its such a Meh (Daughters wording, not mine !) smell.

My brother used to mix all different types of cheap aftershave together and tell me he's just invented a new formula. He used sample bottles to make his molotov's in (yes sample bottles and he used to make names up on the labels) funny thing is though it looked like someone's piss but also smelt like piss lol. Ahh great days indeed.
Wait a minute it probably was piss I was splashing on my chops all along.
The bastard!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Double post,so I will say again that Hai Karate is seriously potent!...:)

And while I'm at it,what the hell happened to Insignia ????

vcFeyEr.jpg

Last edited:
...Pinaud Clubman still has oakmoss in it. That is a strong scent as well. Another one of my favorites.

Boy howdy, does it!! Manliest of the AS's. Guaranteed to grow hair on a cue ball. ;)

The scent that the ladies like is Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent. I layer the AS with the Edt. Sort of a double pronged assault on the womenfolk.

Anyone remember this old commercial?

Ha! Yeah. I tried Hai Karate recently with the re-release and found at Savers for a couple of quid. I found it much like Clubman with a touch of menthol. I like Clubman, I like menthol, but perhaps not together. I went back to Clubman.

While we're on Clubman, their Special Reserve is a good brew! Sharp, acrid, then deep leather ... like someone pissed in a baseball glove!

Are they still making RL Safari?

I thought the ones on the bay were NOS.

It's a shame they don't make the Safari shaving soap anymore.
The still make the EdT, and recently brought back the women's Safari AS well. The shave cream, shave gel, hand soap, shave soap, deodorant, shower gel, aftershave and aftershave balm have all been long discontinued.

I had a puck of the shave soap, best scent of any shave soap I've ever tried, strong too, but alas, the performance was mediocre at best.

I have one NOS hand soap left, and I'm saving that for use on my wedding night if I ever find a woman who will put up with my wet shaving addiction.

Many think the best Ralph Lauren frag for men was the now discontinued Crest. I have the vintage Polo (Green) which blows away the reform. version of today. However, their recent (and discontinued) 'light' version of the original Powerhouse called Modern Reserve is superb and many even like it better. Prices for it on Ebay are through the roof!!

The only bad thing for me is that I grew up in the Powerhouse cologne era when the smell of Polo green was the norm. I had countless bottles then and it is for me one that I rarely use anymore. As with any Powerhouse frag, nowadays you have to choose carefully for your audience at hand lest you get the 'fart in a phone booth' look from people. :eek: ;)

The still make the EdT, and recently brought back the women's Safari AS well. The shave cream, shave gel, hand soap, shave soap, deodorant, shower gel, aftershave and aftershave balm have all been long discontinued.

I had a puck of the shave soap, best scent of any shave soap I've ever tried, strong too, but alas, the performance was mediocre at best.

I have one NOS hand soap left, and I'm saving that for use on my wedding night if I ever find a woman who will put up with my wet shaving addiction.

Going to agree with the 'best scent of any shave soap' - it smells amazing.

Have to disagree with the performance comment. I find it's one of the best shave soaps I have used. Great protection and for me the post shave feeling is second to none.

It's one I use occasionally - I have to make the 3 pucks I own last a while.

Managed to win a 125ml bottle of the AS recently as well.

Thank you chaps.

Thank you for the indulgence and the steady flow of suggestions ...

I know what I like, but lack the knowledge of where to look next. When you've tried all the "also liked" and "smells like" suggestions on the page of any given EDT on, say, Fragrantica, but you're still looking ... it's difficult to know where to go next.

I have a new friend, now. He's called Jacques Bogart :D

I have taken good note of the other suggestions and I've either tried or I have, or I will seek out all those mentioned. I think it's fast becoming clear that I like strong and unapologetic, if not rampant aromatic fougeres and chypres.

... and I'm getting quite a cupboard-full. And, I am finding the character of each quite memorable.

Another 'lady killer' in its day (1981) was the legendary Antaeus by Chanel for men. They still make it in Edt & AS. Even the new reformulated version is better than 99.99% of modern crap. The vintage has a more vibrant opening for about 15 mins., but they both dry down the same. It is easily one of the top 5 most beautiful male frags ever made. You feel like Cary Grant wearing it.

The very awesome Antaeus is most definitely on the list. I absolutely love it! It's the one I spray last to leave the shop with and often the only one I'll put on skin. It is reassuringly expensive, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Christmas or birthday. Meanwhile, Eden Classics Rapport packs enough of such a punch to keep me going ...

Back
Top Bottom