Shave of the day Saturday 22nd - Friday 28th July 2017

Pre: Cold Water
Brush: EJ Medium BB
Soap: Blue's
Razors: ER 1912/Rolls Razor
Blades: Pal Super Carbon/ Hollow Ground
Afters: Homemade Skinfood Balm Thingy

Today I put my two favourite razors head to head and what a pleasure it was.
The 1912 was loaded with a Pal Super Carbon (Thanks to @Blademonkey ), and it was Super.
Both razors glided over my face mowing down everything in their paths smoothly and efficiently. Second pass, xtg, exactly the same.
The advantage with the Rolls is it doesn't need rinsing as often as the 1912 but all said and done, I couldn't split the two razors. I reached for the alum bar for a decider and it was no help whatsoever, no sting either side.
Verdict: A draw.
Maybe if the 1912 had my normal Gem SS blade, the Rolls may have shaded it, but I'll leave that to another day.
IMG_20170726_153310.jpg

Thanks Wayne, does it come in a tin like Blackland razors? :)
Afternoon Paul, apologies for the late reply as I have been out. In answer to your question I don't really know. The pass around came to me bubble wrapped without any outers. I sincerely hope they supply something decent considering the price of these. Sorry I can't be of much help mate.
Wayne

Pre: Cold Water
Brush: EJ Medium BB
Soap: Blue's
Razors: ER 1912/Rolls Razor
Blades: Pal Super Carbon/ Hollow Ground
Afters: Homemade Skinfood Balm Thingy

Today I put my two favourite razors head to head and what a pleasure it was.
The 1912 was loaded with a Pal Super Carbon (Thanks to @Blademonkey ), and it was Super.
Both razors glided over my face mowing down everything in their paths smoothly and efficiently. Second pass, xtg, exactly the same.
The advantage with the Rolls is it doesn't need rinsing as often as the 1912 but all said and done, I couldn't split the two razors. I reached for the alum bar for a decider and it was no help whatsoever, no sting either side.
Verdict: A draw.
Maybe if the 1912 had my normal Gem SS blade, the Rolls may have shaded it, but I'll leave that to another day.
View attachment 27447
Congratulations on a great write up. Really enjoyed it. Having recently been introduced to the 1912 by @Blademonkey I am truly smitten. Awesome piece of kit that will remain forever in my den.

Afternoon Paul, apologies for the late reply as I have been out. In answer to your question I don't really know. The pass around came to me bubble wrapped without any outers. I sincerely hope they supply something decent considering the price of these. Sorry I can't be of much help mate.
Wayne
It's ok, when you said it does what it says on the tin I thought it came with this tin you were talking about :)

Sotd - evening - 25/7 -

Razor - Merkur Progress (4)
Blade - Lodz Polsilver (1)
Brush - Maseto 24mm Finest
Soap - Wickham's Cashmere (sample)
Post - Witch hazel
A/S - Artic Kinesia
Balm - Floid

Result -

Great - taking off 6 days growth. It amuses me when I let my beard grow out this much - it's mostly grey and silver now, doesn't bother me at all - what does intrigue me is that my head hair hasn't changed colour at all - such as it remains. I happily used the 37 slant for my last few shaves and had the Ikon X3 on deck for tonight but thought the better of it - given the heavy growth - it's a great razor but perhaps not suitable for the job? Merkur Progress, turned up half a notch than I would usually use it - paired with a fresh Polsilver. Job done - I've had my head turned by the Variant recently but you should never forget where you started, the Progress remains a first class razor for me. There's a reason they still sell so many of them - design unchanged - to this day. The 1912 Cashmere is a wonderful soap - the scent! I wondered what to do with the sample - in its impossibly small tub? (Maybe it was just far away? - Father Ted reference) - but thankfully it dropped out the container cleanly and I pressed it into a small lather bowl. No problem. I own one of the 1912 soap base versions - very good - but the scent of the Cashmere. Did I say that already? A full tub will be ordered with the matching splash when funds are liberated. I've never seen the Artic Kinesia after shave for sale outside of Spain. It's cheap as chips and very good for me. I enjoyed that shave - I hope you enjoy yours - cheers - I.

Thanks B - @Burgundy - for the soap.
+1 on the Cashmere...great stuff.

20478576_896358230519395_4105600023255842816_n.jpg

Shavemac Americana D01 Silvertip
ATT Calypso M1
Supermax Super Platinum
d'Ardenne, Short & Bell Kyoto
Thayers Rose, Nivea 2 Phase & 4711 Nouveau Cologne

A bit arty farty today's picture, tried a double exposure in my editing app. A cracking shave again, these DSB soaps certainly hit the mark. Effortless lather with the Shavemac, as always. First use of a Supermax Super Platinum and it was a great blade, very under-rated these blades. Finished off with a great fruity number.

Congratulations on a great write up. Really enjoyed it. Having recently been introduced to the 1912 by @Blademonkey I am truly smitten. Awesome piece of kit that will remain forever in my den.
Cheers Wayne, it's very hard not to write glowingly about either of those razors.
Everyone should give a 1912 a go imo. They're readily available and pretty cheap

Wednesday...

Soap - Tabac Original
Brush - RazoRock Disrupter 22mm
Face lather
Razor - Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf
Blade - Gem Personna SE
Post - Thayer's Rose Petal and Aloe Vera
A/s - Tabac Original

Belter of a shave this morning. The Gem is a smashing razor and left me close and smooth. Tabac? well, you know my thoughts on my favourite mass-produced soap.
20170726_181048.jpg

Greetings All,

Wednesday shave.

One days' growth and warm shave

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Prorosa Red pre-share
Soap: ES Sandalwood cream
Razor: Roackwell 6C (3P)
Blade: Shark (3rd)
Brush:RazoRock 400 Noir

Post Shave: Cold water rinse followed by a shower then Proraso aftershave lotion (red) and Nivea 2 Phase.

Oh, my what another great shave….

The wonders of the Rockwell 6C keeps on delivering – another good shave, tried to short cut my second pass (swapping the XTG to ATG) and it failed – but still a comfortable shave.

Budget shave today.

Pre: warm water splash
Razor: WS Hydro
Cream: Palmolive
Brush: Simpsons Chubby

A week of being back to the brush, and my skin is improving and feeling brilliant, such a change! The Palmolive was a left over from my last trip into traditional shaving and is about 5-6 years old.

A small ingrown on the base of my neck is causing me issues, hopefully will be able to dig it out tonight but all the usual irritation I get with shaving is disappearing.

Can I suggest a facial mask or scrub, if you don't use one already?

I use one and it generally helps.

Regards

Mark

Back
Top Bottom