Shaving acquisitions May 2023

Synthetics have a velvet feel. No scritch to them whatsoever, unless you go with a vintage one, which were generally made of nylon (aka monofilament fishing line), and are pure scritch and nothing else. I've never met anyone who liked the vintage ones.
My son had a vintage one that I swapped the knot on, I used it with the original knot and it worked quite well.

This is after the swap.

100_2356.JPG

The old knot.

100_2360.JPG

100_2361.JPG

100_2362.JPG

The new knot is a "black and white" from Maggard, and it's very good for a synthetic.

Synthetics have a velvet feel. No scritch to them whatsoever, unless you go with a vintage one, which were generally made of nylon (aka monofilament fishing line), and are pure scritch and nothing else. I've never met anyone who liked the vintage ones.
That was my basic understanding too. Father had a synthetic that looks like it could give you splinters!! Needless to say he was not the biggest fan!

The Omega Roma Lupa Capitolina I have is a great brush, super comfortable and have used it exclusively for 3 weeks while traveling on holiday but just didn't tick all my boxes. If it was the only option I would be happy to use it forever but fortunately for us there are 1000s of choice to dial in what we think or actually need ha!

It's a cute little thing, isn't it?
I doubt I'll ever use it though.
I unscrewed the base out of curiosity, and found that the handle was just about filled with rock hard glue.

You can easily drill 'em from the back for reknotting, but I endorse your thoughts on leaving it as-is because you don't see many this good or this old (?) ... and there's always tattier examples (usually under the Coronet line) that make much better candidates for re-knotting.

Lovely piece of shaving history!

Is this one of the good ones?

AJFCJaXvm8ggpJykeBWWRu-J4XFstHod1xa2IsyFSqsFPxwV8aCLvYnRdv8JuRj5kggok0Cu1c3LtJoNucnEPRnCJbbZ6yJtVBhA6jfb0ONrQIU0DT9pTJQGklSagw3iJb8_vlVyo31JIclo5asnKTTqCGa95Q=w1200

On the box, it says 1978

Ingredients list is:

Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water (Aqua), Glycerine, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Stearic Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Isoproyl Myristate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Chloride, BHT, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), D&C Yellow No.10 (CI 47005), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492 & CI77499)

Well, serious questions were raised about the authenticity of this razor, so I asked the seller, AlanH81, to provide photocopies of receipts to verify his claims about it. He refused. Eventually I asked to return the razor for a refund, noting that a gentleman would agree to that, and again he refused. Enough said.
After initially being deleted, the thread about this was restored by the DFS mods. If you're interested, you can see the story of his thievery.

After initially being deleted, the thread about this was restored by the DFS mods. If you're interested, you can see the story of his thievery.
Just read the thread and wow that escalated quickly! I can’t understand why he would t just except a refund. I’ve recently had a member elsewhere dislike a soap I sold and I refunded it straight away. I wasn’t trying to mislead them, they found they didn’t like it and thought it old. So the easiest solution was just to refund and be civil.

Back
Top Bottom