Shaving acquisitions May 2023

I received this Charcoal Goods DE razor today from AlanH81. It was packed extremely carefully and arrived looking absolutely gorgeous. The razor was sent to Switzerland for engraving and was hand-polished by Alan. It is one of only ten in Brian's first Gen-1 Lvl-1 stainless steel run in May 2017 and seems to be the only one ever mirror-polished. I can hardly wait to try it in my razor rotation.
Well, serious questions were raised about the authenticity of this razor, so I asked the seller, AlanH81, to provide photocopies of receipts to verify his claims about it. He refused. Eventually I asked to return the razor for a refund, noting that a gentleman would agree to that, and again he refused. Enough said.

Well, serious questions were raised about the authenticity of this razor, so I asked the seller, AlanH81, to provide photocopies of receipts to verify his claims about it. He refused. Eventually I asked to return the razor for a refund, noting that a gentleman would agree to that, and again he refused. Enough said.
Have you thought about sending pictures off in an email to get it authenticated by Brian?
It might settle it one way or the other.
I have a Stinger and love it.

Hiya,

There's a non ebay BIN sale going on and the story goes it was found in a small town somewhere in the US. Selling for 1000.00 plus shipping. Hehe, doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyway, maybe a few members will like the pics.

Attachments

• 346479483_805486720998336_3316558758222843226_n.jpg
    346479483_805486720998336_3316558758222843226_n.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 346266837_783415226516839_1810461178901606590_n.jpg
    346266837_783415226516839_1810461178901606590_n.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 44
View attachment 106003

One of the outer teeth is a bit bent. It didn't look like it in the photos when I bought the razor, but I will l leave it alone. I hope it won't matter in the shave.

@TobyC I'm sure you will like this one!
Yes, of course! Don't worry about the tooth, it won't affect the shave, it's where some bonehead tapped it on the sink to dislodge a clog instead of loosening the handle and rinsing it out. Don't risk snapping it off.

Todays post delivered another 100 Gillette Nacet blades as I only had about 120 left. A new omega brush and razor stand and a new blade bank. That’s it. I’m officially banned from buying anything else. She who must be obeyed has spoken.
Angry Dj GIF by giuliasiegel

Interesting! I have only been at this for 3 months so very much an amateurs perspective below!

The first two brushes that I bought were the Omega Roma (Omegas answer to the Simpsons Trafalgar I believe) and the Edwin Jagger best badger. I almost always reached for the badger….something about the ritual of soaking prior to shaving, being able to scrub the face, the scritch….I always suffered from bad ingrown hairs prior to switching over to DE Razors so the slightly extra exfoliation properties of badger is what attracts me I think.

Before pulling the trigger on the Simpson Chubby 2 BB I read and researched a lot and it seems to fit exactly what I am looking for and my current ‘style’ of predominantly face lathering.

How do you find the Synthetic is with face lathering? I know Simpsons say to use painting stokes rather than splaying the brush….probably mistaken in assuming it would not fit the bill but that is what put me off initially. However thought I should at least try a high end synth before assuming anything or closing that door.

Stupid question alert: Can you scrub with the Simpsons Synthetic or will this damage the knot? Reduce its intended performance?

Sam
Synthetics have a velvet feel. No scritch to them whatsoever, unless you go with a vintage one, which were generally made of nylon (aka monofilament fishing line), and are pure scritch and nothing else. I've never met anyone who liked the vintage ones.

Some acquisitions this month, even though I came off the forum to prevent me buying anything.

I bought a few bits last month too but haven't posted them on here.

This 1918 dated set (assuming all parts are original) is in excellent condition. It appears near mint in terms of wear and tear. I gave the brush a go but it she'd about a dozen hairs in one pass so I won't be spoiling it again.
The razor was cleaned up using the foil, baking soda and boiling water method with a polish of Maas.

The Super Chromes were a bargain (£2 for 100 excluding postage) and I'd long used up my only Derby stick so stuck that on the order, too.

I really like the Kleen Shave blades and was able to get some from India via ebay.
How can you buy the Shark blades for that price?

Back
Top Bottom