SOTD Sat. 27th April to Fri. 3rd May 2013

Prep:- Hot soak
Brush:- Tubby 2
Soap:- Cella (soap of the week)
Razor:- Feather AS SS (2)
AS:- Proroso

Decided to have a second go with the feather AC, and also the soap of the week as i forgot yesterday. Results where very similar to yesterday. A DFS with a couple of missed/ akward spots. They will come with time and practice. 2x wtg and 1x xtg, with a little touch up until i called it a day. A couple of tiny blood spots which occured during the touching up. Very very pleased with my progress.

Gillette Slim Adjustable
Polsilver Stainless (4)
Semogue SOC boar
Proraso white soap
Proraso Aftershave lotion
Penhaligon's English Fern

Fairly aggressive setting (left it on 7) - decent stuff. Shaving's good fun these days.

Fourth go with the Cella today, I took yesterday off to allow my face to rest, prolonged use with the Cella has been drying it out.

Prep: Shower and Trumpers limes skinfood.
Razor: '51 Gillette SS flare tip.
Blade: NOS Scottish Perma-Sharp (5 nearly).
Razor: Fatip on an iKon bulldog II handle.
Blade: Gillette Swede (1).
Brush: New Forrest Tubby 1 alpolina.
Soap: Cella.
Aftershave: Superdrug Forrest Fresh.
EDT: Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa.

I read, I think it was Mulligano, had written that he could get 7 good shaves out of the Perma-Sharp, so I thought I'd give it a go, but my right cheek felt a bit draggy, the blade was still usable but I though why carry on and changed razor and blade. Four comfortable shave from the blade is still good. The Cella dried out me chops again that required some moisturiser later in the day, which is sad because I am liking the performance of the soap during the shave. Prolonged use of this soap isn't for me but it will get used, just sparingly. The Superdrug AS was a surprise, it was nice, the smell evoked memories of growing up in the 80s and at £2.50 it's a bargain! I think it was SmallBeard that had recommended the Superdrug ASs to me, thanks. =)

Scott.

If I could get more of those blades I could retire!

Sm304 said:
Fourth go with the Cella today, I took yesterday off to allow my face to rest, prolonged use with the Cella has been drying it out.

I read, I think it was Mulligano, had written that he could get 7 good shaves out of the Perma-Sharp, so I thought I'd give it a go, but my right cheek felt a bit draggy, the blade was still usable but I though why carry on and changed razor and blade. Four comfortable shave from the blade is still good. The Cella dried out me chops again that required some moisturiser later in the day, which is sad because I am liking the performance of the soap during the shave. Prolonged use of this soap isn't for me but it will get used, just sparingly. The Superdrug AS was a surprise, it was nice, the smell evoked memories of growing up in the 80s and at £2.50 it's a bargain! I think it was SmallBeard that had recommended the Superdrug ASs to me, thanks. =)

Scott.

Sm304 said:

Scott.

It could well have been, it does ring a bell.

You're welcome, cheap as chips and damn good too!

LWCOMpT.jpg

Last night's shave (01/05):

#21 Aristocrat
Russian Rapira Super Stainless
Chinese 24mm Pure
MWF

Mild shave again. The new MWF bowl is great though! Really solid and great in the hand (thanks Chris).

Today's:

#21 Aristocrat
Astra SP
Wilkinson Bristle
Palmolive Cream

Great shave, must have been the Rapiras that were too mild.

THURSDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot flannel
Razor: Henckels Henso
Blade: Rapira (3)
Brush: Dickinson & Gilroy boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett - suribachi lathered
Post shave: Witch hazel and IK balm

Excellent, close shaves every day this week which I'm putting down in no small part to the lather I can generate with the KK and the suribachi.

Fairly crappy shaves last week when I was using my Simpsons Persian Jar 2 band to lather cream (and having difficulty doing it).

I have to admit, much as it will grieve me to do so, I'm thinking about giving up and getting shot of my Manchurian Hive and 2 band Persian Jar. They're two of the best looking brushes I have but I just cannot get the hang of them.

Cold shower
Proraso pre/post
RazoRock La Famiglia Nonno Michelino Sandalwood shaving soap
Kent synthetic brush
Merkur 37c w/Astra Keramik
Myrsol Lemon
Weleda ASB

Got a piece of this soap PIFed by RB73 (cheers mate!). Smells nowhere near sandalwood, but scent itself is really pleasant. Performance wise - close to Proraso soaps, a little tricky to get it perfect, but provides decent lather anyway. Skincare is pretty good too. Does it beat my Tabac shave stick? No, but overall - could definitely recommend for those who like diversity, worth a punt.

This morning (well, yesterday morning, technically):

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Filarmonica 14 Especial, just under 7/8"
Brush: Neep #947 yew ball and bobbin silvertip
Soap: Trumper's Eucris

Friday:
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Proraso shaving foam, Red
Histoires De Parfums 1740 Marquis De Sade

Now I'm off to an old mate's wedding in Rochdale.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Rooney 1 , 2 Super
Cream: TOBS Grapefruit
Razor: Merkur Futur Gold
Blade: Gillette SuperThin
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

It's been a while since I use a Futur, but this Gold one arrived from daz last night so I thought I better give it a go.
Excellent shave as expected, and I do love the noise it makes. It looks good on the shelf next to my Chrome one too :)

Thursday ii May 2013

Prep: Hot shower, Dove Men+Care Facial Scrub
Pre: Cold Splash
Brush: Neep Custom '67 Threepenny Bit Silvertip
Soap: Dr Dittmar Speziale
Razor: Pal Injectomatic
Blade: Personna PTFE coated #1
Astringent: Care WH
ASB: Proraso White
ASL: Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa

Result: First shave with the Injectomatic. I found it to be very mild and, in fact, had to finish off with my Ikon. Possibly down to technique. My face always feels great after the Dittmar lather. Managed a DFS after the Ikon applied the final touches.

Friday iii May 2013

Prep: Hot shower, Dove Men+Care Facial Scrub
Pre: Cold Splash
Brush: Neep Custom '67 Threepenny Bit Silvertip
Soap: Dr Dittmar Speziale
Razor: Ever Ready 1914
Blade: Gem Stainless Steel PTFE coated #3
Astringent: Care WH
ASB: Institute Karité
ASL: Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa

Result: Back to the Ever Ready this morning and a return to form for the Single Edge performance. Lathered with a Woodhead Suribachi bowl this morning for the first time and what a revelation. The Dittmar doesn't need much help, but this increased its lather generation to previously unseen levels or me. Nice scrape to tail the week.

All the best, fellas

Jon

Hot shower
Klar Kabinett
Neep Jubilee
Gillette Tech
Personna Med
Clinique Post Shave
Opus 1870

The Personna Med was super smooth. I use to use Clinique products before I took up a DE, so while n Duty Free I purchased another bottle. For me It has a nice consistency and i will be buying it again.

Back
Top Bottom