SOTD Sat. 27th April to Fri. 3rd May 2013

Prep. Normal hot soak.
Soap. Martin de candre.
Brush. Tubby 2
razor. Feather Artist Club SS
Blade. Feather Pro Guard
A/S. Proroso followed by Trumpers skin food (coral)

Well the razor finally arrived safe and sound. Decided to have a go and see how i got on. Loaded a Pro guard and Soaked the Tubby while i hot soaked my face.
Loaded the Tubby with the McD, and faced lathered which is all new to me. made the lather a little wetter than normal, as recomended by straight users on her. Made the decision to go for using both hands and try and do it properly from the start. The first pass with the grain on the cheeks went surprisingly well, so carried on down my neck. things were going so well, albeit fairly slow, that soon i was under my nose and down my chin. Rinsed off and was very impressed with the result. Relathered and went for another WTG pass, more as a way of learning through repetition than anything else. This pass went equally well. Fairly smooth with no sign of a nick or any irritation.
Re lathered again and started an ATG pass. Nice and slow and still no nicks. decided to try a little touch up, and as i came across my jaw towards my chin, the blade just bounced and caught the edge of my chin. result was a very small weep and a single spot of blood.
At that point i decided to quite while i was ahead. The result was much better than i remember my first DE shave with no irritation and one small nick, and apart from a couple of areas almost a perfect BBS. Over time i can learn different ways at getting into some of those hard to reach areas.

Plan is to stay with the Feather for the next few weeks and see if i can improve and perfect my technique. I can see how you guys get so much enjoyment out of using a proper straight.

Forgot to post this yesterday, almost made in Germany
mj8dqu.jpg

WEDNESDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot flannel
Razor: Kampfe Star
Blade: Gem (3)
Brush: Dickinson & Gilroy boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett - suribachi lathered
Post shave: Witch hazel and Wilkie balm

Was a bit nervous about shaving with this as one of the blade holders on the base of the razor has lost it's 'springiness' and is a bit loose (no surprise when it's nearly 110 years old!)

In the event it was a weird shave. Did two WTG passes, then an ATG pass, then still felt a bit rough so did another ATG pass and the result is marvellous!

Not sure how often I'll use it, but it's nice to know I can if I want to. It's in excellent condition with no plate loss. I shall put some pics on the acquisitions thread later this week.

Re: RE: SOTD Sat. 27th April to Fri. 3rd May 2013

heroblob said:
Plan is to stay with the Feather for the next few weeks and see if i can improve and perfect my technique. I can see how you guys get so much enjoyment out of using a proper straight.

In my opinion this is exactly the right thing to do. Consistency makes the learning process easier in just about any situation, so dive in and commit! I did, and I still have most of my body parts.

Good morning gents

Travel kit shave
Flew to Sydney for work with only hand luggage. On an overnight stay. I thought I'd give the following a go. It's been a long time since I used the Mach 3.

Proraso pre
TOBS Mr Taylor's SC
L'Occitane Travel Brush
Mach 3
Thayer's
L"Occitane Cade ASB

The brush - meh. Not a fan but it sure dried quickly. Reasonable for a once off shave. Will probably use my Duke 2 badger more often for travel, especially when it's for several days.

The Mach 3 did a good job. Not as much fun though. Probably will continue with this when I need to take hand luggage.[attachment=7180]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367444293.035077.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367444293.035077.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 27
Mikael said:
Ha, we've got very similar looking cats :), nice Viking names too :).

Hi Mikey,

I remember seeing those pics of your two kitties, right after you shaved em both at the start of last summer. It was gruesome.

Martini

Greetings

Thursday 2nd May 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready Streamline
Blade: Gem Stainless Coated
Brush: Vulfix 620 Boar
Soap: Wilkinson Sword Stick grated into a container
Aftershave; Astral Cream (light)

A harsh uncomfortable and less than pleasant shave, but a superb result. Am I the only SE shaver on the planet who can not just pick up a streamline and shave with it, something I can do with ease with every other one of my SE's.

I just find this razor difficult, the streamline and I will never, I am sure be on 'best friend' terms.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04235.JPG

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave
Soap: Cella (soap of the week)
Brush: Muhle 'HJM' Synthetic
Bowl: Steve Woodhead Pedestal #2
Razor: Merkur Progress @2.5
Blade: Rapira Stainless (3)
After: Alum, Superdrug Forest Fresh AS, Coral Skin Food, Dove ASB

SOTD20130502_zpsc2535168.jpg

Day 4 of Cella week.
Getting very consistent shaves now with this soap/bowl/brush combination. The synthetic brush is now just as worthy as my other brushes.
I normally only use a blade twice but the Rapira has performed just as well on its third shave, although today I retired it to the blade bank.
Loving the skin food more now that I apply it to a wet face. It feels a little dry 10 minutes afterwards so I apply some ASB on top.
Result: Another shave to Cella-brate (sorry).

wai said:
Prep: Shower
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Best Badger
Razor: Ed Wüsthof 110 'Pearl King' 13/16" full hollow
Soap: MWF
Astringent: Osma Alum
Balm: Woods of Windsor
Eau de Toilette: Penhaligon's Castile

SOTD-13-05-01_zps313d2c3c.jpg

Notes: Good close, 2-pass shave, virtually no irritation. Razor lived up to expectations.

Greetings

What a lovely looking razor, is it an old razor with new scales or do Wüsthof still make razors? I know they still make first class kitchen knives.

Regards
Dick.

Thursday:

Ingram's Cream
Semogue 2012 SE
Aristocrat Junior
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman

Needed a menthol kick to wake me up this morning. Ingram's and a cold water shave did the trick. Job done.

Prep: Hot Shower
Soap: Cella (Soap of the week)
Brush: Rooney 1 / 2 Super
Razor: Gillette NEw with iKon Bulldog
Blade: Gillette SuperThin
Balm: Barberhop Bay Rum
Cologne: Opium pour homme

Fourth day of the Cella, and my face is definitely drying up. Is it the Cella or just the shock of seeing some sunshine?

I struggled a bit with the lather today, I assume there was too much water in the brush prior to loading as even after loading lots of soap I still ended up with quite a watery lather. I face lathered as usual and could tell it was too wet as it was messy and went everywhere. A decent shave though so no complaints there.

To be honest I think I need a change tomorrow, I think thats enough Cella for me this week.

Thursday's Rasp
  • Gillette English Red Tip SS w/BiC
  • Simpsons Colonel
  • RSC Shave2 SC
  • Blue Stratos AS
  • Astral
Not so good with the old RT this morning. A bit of a scrape round the neck and the Stratos burned a good bit. However, it did its job well and I've no irritation despite a few red bumps although the shave wasn't close enough either. I can feel a sale coming on - a big sale! I can understand why people collect Simpsons brushes as the Colonel, depsite being one of the cheaper models in Best, is a fabulous brush. Alas, I may only dream what it must be like to stroke one's whiskers with a Chubby 2 in two band or the like.

Back
Top Bottom