SOTD : Saturday 10th March - Friday 16th March 2018

N30aIKK.jpg

DSC2583.jpg
Second shave today. Same setup as this morning but shaving cream retested Whisky style ie "Go easy on the water". Yup, now we are talking. With a fairly dry brush to start with and less water added along the way, resulting lather proved Barbus Classic shaving cream a keeper: plenty, thick and slick, good for really nice shave, though scent is typical soapy Arko style.

I love the handle on your brush Wayne, does it come in a 24 or 26mm? P.
Evening Paul,

I hope someone can correct me but I do believe they only make the Beehive with a 30mm knot.

In saying that I have recently spoke to Nick and he informed me that there will be some new releases towards the end of the month.

I will Pm you mate with the link to the 30mm should you be interested..

PM incoming. :)

Evening shave

Lucky Tiger Face Scrub
MT Black Beer No.1 Shaving Paste
Omega 10098 Boar
Little Wren Pottery
Muhle R41
Treet Dura Sharp (1)
Thayers Witch Hazel (unscented)
Myrsol Agua Balsamica Aftershave

Quite a few firsts for me with this shave. It's not the first time I have used an R41. Kevin (@Boru62) very kindly lent me his and I liked it so much that I bought my own. So this was its maiden voyage. Following a discussion the other evening regarding the best suited blade for the razor Brian (@culcreuch) generously offered to send me a selection of Treet carbon blades. First up was the Dura Sharp. The shave was probably the smoothest I have had with the R41, but at the cost of some efficiency. Having said that, I'm BBS after three passes. I may try the Tez next time. Finally, having enjoyed the MT Dark Limes so much, Iain (@Digimonkey) suggested I try the Black Beer No.1 with Agua Balsamica. To begin with, the only scent I got from the paste was a very nice citrus. But when I was lathering up I got wafts of what I think is brown ale. Now that might sound odd. But it's actually rather nice. And paired with the herby, medicinal Balsámica it's quite a heady mix. I like it, and my face feels fantastic.

So many thanks to Kevin, Brian, and Iain for an interesting and very enjoyable shave.

Sorry for prattling on gents. Enjoy your shaves.

Evening shave

Lucky Tiger Face Scrub
MT Black Beer No.1 Shaving Paste
Omega 10098 Boar
Little Wren Pottery
Muhle R41
Treet Dura Sharp (1)
Thayers Witch Hazel (unscented)
Myrsol Agua Balsamica Aftershave

Quite a few firsts for me with this shave. It's not the first time I have used an R41. Kevin (@Boru62) very kindly lent me his and I liked it so much that I bought my own. So this was its maiden voyage. Following a discussion the other evening regarding the best suited blade for the razor Brian (@culcreuch) generously offered to send me a selection of Treet carbon blades. First up was the Dura Sharp. The shave was probably the smoothest I have had with the R41, but at the cost of some efficiency. Having said that, I'm BBS after three passes. I may try the Tez next time. Finally, having enjoyed the MT Dark Limes so much, Iain (@Digimonkey) suggested I try the Black Beer No.1 with Agua Balsamica. To begin with, the only scent I got from the paste was a very nice citrus. But when I was lathering up I got wafts of what I think is brown ale. Now that might sound odd. But it's actually rather nice. And paired with the herby, medicinal Balsámica it's quite a heady mix. I like it, and my face feels fantastic.

So many thanks to Kevin, Brian, and Iain for an interesting and very enjoyable shave.

Sorry for prattling on gents. Enjoy your shaves.
You never "Prat" on mate, that looks a superb set up and a very enjoyable read.

Thanks for sharing. :)

S.O.T.N 15 March 18:

ca97a43bb0a73514bb9b04831ed7cf0f.jpg

[emoji842]Razor: Maggard Slant Head/MR5 handle
[emoji842]Blade: Derby Extra (3)
[emoji842]Brush: Brushguy
[emoji842]Soap: Barrister & Mann: ROAM
[emoji842]Post Shave:Nivea Aftershave Lotion

Thought I would try out this sample. It's a complex soap that has Tobacco, Grass, Damp Earth, Thyme, Smoke and Musk all mashed in, however the scent got to me! It's a polarizing scent, I definitely get the leather, smoke and tobacco. I will have to get in a few more shaves with this one.. However the performance is great as you would expect from B&M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sotd - Thursday 15/3/18

Razor - ER 1912 English
blade - Corrux vintage (who knows how many uses)
brush - Simpsons Chubby 1 best
soap - Mondial Antica Barberia Balsamic
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Agua Balsamica
balm - Bart's Lavender lotion.

Result - ne plus ultra -

What a week of acquisitions this has been - lots of new stuff to try. A combination of the generosity of fellow members, a BST offer I couldn't resist and a spot of drunken internet shopping. You know the sort - you remember when you get the Connaught confirmation email the next day. I only went on to get some Schick Prolines - such is life. An array of new things to try - the soap - never used a Mondial product before - worked just fine. A quick sniff indicated it would match well with the Myrsol Balsamica - as indeed it did. I'll maybe load the brush a bit more heavily the next time - but in fairness to myself it was my first use of the Chubby 1. I had no idea how much water the knot was going to retain - used before I got it - but lightly - its got a long way to go before it blooms properly. Initially I was slightly surprised how - relatively - small it was. Was it that tiny - or was it just far away? In use it is lovely - easy to hold - I have hands like shovels - nicely precise for face lathering - which is the only way I shave. Super dense knot - a good batch of hair - I can tell that already - I look forward to seeing how it changes with use - my Chubby 2 started out a bulb knot and is now pretty much a fan. Love at first shave with the new brush - a keeper. Back to the Bart's lavender lotion to finish - two shaves in a row - the scent suited the rest of the software - but mostly - it works really well for me. A superb product in my opinion. Maybe try it next with my newly acquired Lavanda cream. So much new stuff - only one face to shave. My first Yaqi synth awaits. All I have to do is live long enough to get through it. The only slight down side is that if I hadn't spent that amount of money last week - I would have jumped at Rob's Captain Manchurian - @Blackmass - that's a handsome piece and no mistake.

Enjoy your shaves one and all - yours - I.

In no particular order - thank you to @Wayne Pritchard @Barry Giddens and @JR SHAVE - the latter sold me the Chubby - a gentleman to deal with.

Sotd - Thursday 15/3/18

Razor - ER 1912 English
post - witch hazel

Result - ne plus ultra -

What a week of acquisitions this has been - lots of new stuff to try. A combination of the generosity of fellow members, a BST offer I couldn't resist and a spot of drunken internet shopping. You know the sort - you remember when you get the Connaught confirmation email the next day. I only went on to get some Schick Prolines - such is life. An array of new things to try - the soap - never used a Mondial product before - worked just fine. A quick sniff indicated it would match well with the Myrsol Balsamica - as indeed it did. I'll maybe load the brush a bit more heavily the next time - but in fairness to myself it was my first use of the Chubby 1. I had no idea how much water the knot was going to retain - used before I got it - but lightly - its got a long way to go before it blooms properly. Initially I was slightly surprised how - relatively - small it was. Was it that tiny - or was it just far away? In use it is lovely - easy to hold - I have hands like shovels - nicely precise for face lathering - which is the only way I shave. Super dense knot - a good batch of hair - I can tell that already - I look forward to seeing how it changes with use - my Chubby 2 started out a bulb knot and is now pretty much a fan. Love at first shave with the new brush - a keeper. Back to the Bart's lavender lotion to finish - two shaves in a row - the scent suited the rest of the software - but mostly - it works really well for me. A superb product in my opinion. Maybe try it next with my newly acquired Lavanda cream. So much new stuff - only one face to shave. My first Yaqi synth awaits. All I have to do is live long enough to get through it. The only slight down side is that if I hadn't spent that amount of money last week - I would have jumped at Rob's Captain Manchurian - @Blackmass - that's a handsome piece and no mistake.

In no particular order - thank you to @Wayne Pritchard @Barry Giddens and @JR SHAVE - the latter sold me the Chubby - a gentleman to deal with.
Those Corrux blades just keep on going, I too lost count and when last used was still going strong, a stropping on a pasted strop when the leather is not enough and hey presto, just like a new blade. :) I think they have a better feel about them when shaving or that could just be nostalgia! Great write up by the way. P.

Sotd - Thursday 15/3/18

Razor - ER 1912 English
post - witch hazel

Result - ne plus ultra -

Cheers Iain. Nice of you to say. It's still available BTW.;)

Date: 16 March 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto Extra Density 2 Band Finest Badger Black 24/55mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Route 66 ~ The Black Pearl 2x
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Blade:- GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #2
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Back
Top Bottom