SOTD : Saturday 10th March - Friday 16th March 2018

LUrDhLy.jpg
]

Pre-Shave: SebaMed, cold water
Razor: Parker Variant on 2.0
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
Lather: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

Sotd - Thursday 15/3/18

Razor - ER 1912 English
blade - Corrux vintage (who knows how many uses)
brush - Simpsons Chubby 1 best
soap - Mondial Antica Barberia Balsamic
post - witch hazel
a/s - Myrsol Agua Balsamica
balm - Bart's Lavender lotion.

Result - ne plus ultra -

What a week of acquisitions this has been - lots of new stuff to try. A combination of the generosity of fellow members, a BST offer I couldn't resist and a spot of drunken internet shopping. You know the sort - you remember when you get the Connaught confirmation email the next day. I only went on to get some Schick Prolines - such is life. An array of new things to try - the soap - never used a Mondial product before - worked just fine. A quick sniff indicated it would match well with the Myrsol Balsamica - as indeed it did. I'll maybe load the brush a bit more heavily the next time - but in fairness to myself it was my first use of the Chubby 1. I had no idea how much water the knot was going to retain - used before I got it - but lightly - its got a long way to go before it blooms properly. Initially I was slightly surprised how - relatively - small it was. Was it that tiny - or was it just far away? In use it is lovely - easy to hold - I have hands like shovels - nicely precise for face lathering - which is the only way I shave. Super dense knot - a good batch of hair - I can tell that already - I look forward to seeing how it changes with use - my Chubby 2 started out a bulb knot and is now pretty much a fan. Love at first shave with the new brush - a keeper. Back to the Bart's lavender lotion to finish - two shaves in a row - the scent suited the rest of the software - but mostly - it works really well for me. A superb product in my opinion. Maybe try it next with my newly acquired Lavanda cream. So much new stuff - only one face to shave. My first Yaqi synth awaits. All I have to do is live long enough to get through it. The only slight down side is that if I hadn't spent that amount of money last week - I would have jumped at Rob's Captain Manchurian - @Blackmass - that's a handsome piece and no mistake.

Enjoy your shaves one and all - yours - I.

In no particular order - thank you to @Wayne Pritchard @Barry Giddens and @JR SHAVE - the latter sold me the Chubby - a gentleman to deal with.

Nothing like a mild hangover, and opening your email to find evidence of the drunked splurge on-line the night before :)

Its how I buy most of my stuff :)

Razor: R89
Soap: Nanny's traditional Lemon Basil & Mandarin (face lather)
Brush: Erasmic
Blade: Sputnik(5)

Today's my last with the R89 from Newbie box 1. I had actually intended to put it aside after just three shaves, but I've been enjoying it too much. The Nanny's soap lathered up a treat, just like its signature lime. A slightly more subtle but still pleasantly citrussy scent. I prefer the lime in the cake, but prefer this one on the face.

One pass WTG everywhere, with a second ATG around the chin, feeling fantastic for Friday.

Greetings

Friday 16th March 2018
Prep: Shower
Razor: Muhle R41 (2013)
Blade: Feather
Brush: Whipped Dog Synthetic
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Simple Moisteriser
EDT: Bogart Arabian Nights

The Feather blade brings to an end the blades I have tested in this R41 and whilst I have only had a single shave with each blade I have learned a very great deal, both about the blades and my technique. I have been making notes on each blade and will at some time in the next few days set out my findings in the blade section I promise to try not to bore you!

What I will say now is how surprised I am at the very small differences between blades, way less than I would have thought, perhaps it is the case that this razor is an example of a razor that will perform with just about any blade. Only two blades out of the 34 tried did I find awful. I have had 34 BBS shaves and only two have been really uncomfortable and in one case the blade was a dud.

Regards
Dick.

16.3.18.JPG

I'm loving the look of the Wolf Whiskers brushes. Only just heard of them this week. Went to their site and it says they aren't currently making any. Bummer!
Yeah, Peter makes fantastic brushes. You gotta jump in the lottery to win a chance to get on the waiting list. It will opened up in the first week of April. I recommend reading the information on his site about it and participating. It will take some time but you'll be able to get on there eventually. Totally worth it. http://www.wolfwhiskers.com/waitlist.html

_DSC2585.jpg
cream: I Coloniali Rhubarb
brush: Yaqi 24 mm Tuxedo
blade: Heljestrand MK No 2

This cream definitely a keeper with thick slick lather and a rather peculiar scent, spicy sort of sweet and sour, I like it, only downside is a tube that stains easily.

(Got four more creams to test: Palmolive, Lea, Arko, Supermax.)

Last edited:
image.jpg ~SOTD~

Prep ~ Shower, La Toja Magno Tallow soap
Razor ~ Eskimo Adjustable ~ set to 3
Blade ~ NOS Personna Star ~ Platinium Coated
Soap ~ La Toja Stick
Brush ~ Razorock ~ Big Bruce
Post ~ Antica Barbieria Colla Apricot Afrteshave lotion
Scent ~ Serge Lutens ~ Chergui

This was my first use of any La Toja products and thanks to @Digimonkey this crime against shaving has been put right. I receved a tube of La Toja cream of which I've yet to use, a shave stick and the wonderful Magno bath soap along with a box of NOS Personna Star blades. Thank you Iain for my belated birthday present, much appreciated:)
The La Toja Magno soap was used in the shower as part of my prep and it is a wonderful soap full of tallow, glycerin and Lanolin, just perfect! The soap stick lathered like a rabid dog in the soft water I have and afforded me plenty of slick protection, the Eskimo fitted with one of the Personna blades made short work of my stubble and was left clean shaven and happy that I have now tried La Toja products.
A quick spray of Serge Lutens Chergui and I was smelling as good as I looked :)

Wishing you all a great day :)

Last edited:
MhsgbJco_o.jpg

Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Rockwell 6S
Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium (2)
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica
Thayers Rose & Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica

It must have been the razor when I used this blade last, superb in today's razor. A good shave today and no issues at all. I continue to be impressed by these Yaqi brushes, they certainly are superb bang for your buck. Made no effort to lather the SV, which itself is top shelf in terms of soap.

It's also nice after a few days using SE razors to return to my favoured DE.

Back
Top Bottom