SOTD : Saturday 16th April - Friday 22nd April 2022.

Good afternoon all,

Prep, hot water and flannel and PAA Cube (mentholated)
Brush, Zenith Silvertip (The Emporium)
Razor, Blackland Blackbird
Blade, Shave X (1st ever use, kindly included with a recent purchase)
Cream, Simpsons Unscented
Post, Trumpers Skin Food (Lime) followed by Trumpers Cologne (Lime)

A big fan of the Simpsons creams, lathered up very easily with the new brush. Very creamy, thick and went on well. Provided a good surface to work on. Although efficient i did find the blade a little scratchy / draggy / tuggy on first use. May have been operator error / the blade or a combination of the two. That said, no real issues during the shave with no cuts / weepers / nicks / irritation etc. A nice clean and close shave.

I'll see how the blade performs next shave.

Have a good evening all.

Best,

Ben

5349D257-3CBA-47E9-9C3D-609122B1BB9A.jpeg
SOTD: 20/04/2022

Razor: Hone 15s
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless , 1st use
Brush: Knothead Brush Works 26mm AP Shave Co. Synbad
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Signature Wicstun Puck
Aftershave: Seaforth! Sea Spiced Lime EDT
Balm: Bart's Balm BEN KILBRECK Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block
Additional Care: Seaforth Sea Spiced Lime Aftershave Toner

It’s arrived! So after a few middling reviews what do I think? Hmmm it’s a difficult one, I love the shorter handle, the weight the look and feel in the hand is spot on. The texture is even better than the brass to hold, but is arguably less useful in the shave. I’ve more positives than negatives but this is the most expensive razor I’ve ever bought and as much as I love it I guess I’m a little underwhelmed.
I used the PAA Cube and Signature soaps for maximum slickness. It doesn’t feel quite as smooth as the brass due to the bead blast style finish, but I found this just slowed me down a little and made me concentrate more. That said I didn’t quite get the angle straight away as I’m used to using the longer handled brass. It gave a delightful smooth and mild shave, but maybe slightly less efficient than the brass until I dial the angle in more.
The drag is more pronounced which is a shame. I understand a polished version is harder and not practical but I’d have been more than happy with a similar finish to the original! It’s not a deal breaker as I just love the look and design of the Hone, but for a razor that has cost me over £225 with customs, VAT etc I guess I hoped it would be at least as good as the other versions. That said I still think it’s way better than the aluminium version which was way too light for my liking. I’m sure I’ll grow to love it but it’s a shame it’s not the instant love affair I had with the original.

SOTD 39.jpg

Soap – Wholly Kaw 1776
Brush – Muhle Rocca Birch synthetic
Razor – Muhle Rocca Birch
Blade – Gillette Platinum ( blue )
A/S – Floid MV
Balm – Lea 3 in 1

Some challenging times of late so I’ve had limited visits to TSR. Happy to be posting an SOTD again.
What a fantastic shave.

Have a great day and enjoy your shaves.

Razor = Karve CB Aluminium ( D )
Blade = RK Made For Henson
Brush = Alpha 400 Travel
Soap = Condate By Signature
Splash = Nivea 2 Phase
Balm = Barts Balm Ben Kilbreck
04292039-02B1-42E0-985D-92EAE3ACBC2D.jpeg
Fantastic shave with the Karve
Light razors seem to be doing it for me just now,
Whether it’s plastic, Bakelite or Steel the lighter the better.
I never thought in a million years i would go for something so light but the shaves just keep getting better,
i say that but they are mostly all good with a couple of exceptions.
The Soap again Top Drawer and i actually forgot i had this one
how embarrassing.
Everything about Signature it’s first class,
Topped off with the good old nivea and followed with what i would say is one of the best balms in the business
Stay Safe Boys & Girls

Wednesday AM 2022-04-20
Birthdate in 1745 of Philippe Pinel, 'father of modern psychiatry'
kR5opTU.jpg

Rooney 3/1 Ivory Finest (22/50)
Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Sandalwood shaving soap (tallow) + a few sprays Ethos Mysore Santal to enliven the scent
LASSC BBS-1
Wizamet Iridium Super (9)
Aramis aftershave (vintage)
nIqSzcs.jpg

A trilogy of shaves starting with the first part themed 'Part two of three'

20220419_210301.jpg

3-2-1. We have lift off - Stainless Mongoose
1-2-3 Do Re Mi - Feather Super Professional
1+2 =? Spit-roast - AP Shaving big brass boy
123 ABX (By the Jackson 6) - Signature Soaps Wicstun

'Are you asking me? Yes the man is a pillock'

A tremendous outing for the wonderful Mongoose. Disliked by some and loved by those who know a good thing. How can you go wrong with the goose? You can't, but I still do wonder how a number of folk say how hard it is to find the angle. There is literally only one angle you can shave at with its big give-a-way in the slanted facia. Ah well. A great match to the Super Professional and the end combination leaning towards the aggressive but very easily tamed. A great piece of shaving kit.

The Wictsun as always turned in its usual superb performance and it was very fitting to the fact I have just returned from Wicstun itself after a weekend of digging up a lawn and laying a new one. If there was one legacy my father left, wherever we lived we always had peculiar shaped lawns. The bungalow was one of those gardens of dad's legend. A rectangle with the corners cut away and then an even bigger chunk taken out and paving slabs as an alternative to grass. Not any more it isn't. Never realised what damn hard work heavy duty gardening can be.

All in all a smashing and a very 'welcome back to Liverpool' shave.

That's a No No. But I do give a that's a Yes Yes to the Japanese ladies for this evening. That's a No No

And yes I do. I love you all

View attachment 87072

Soap – Wholly Kaw 1776
Brush – Muhle Rocca Birch synthetic
Razor – Muhle Rocca Birch
Blade – Gillette Platinum ( blue )
A/S – Floid MV
Balm – Lea 3 in 1

Some challenging times of late so I’ve had limited visits to TSR. Happy to be posting an SOTD again.
What a fantastic shave.

Have a great day and enjoy your shaves.
Good to see you back.

SOTD : 21st April 2022.

thursday 4.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Sea Salt & Fennel Extract 2 in1 Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Chantry Lavender Goat's Milk Bar Soap.
Brush: Omega 49.
Face Lather.
Lather: Palmolive Classic Shave sticks (grated)
Blade: Feather Hi Stainless. (D4)
Razor: Parker 94r.

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./ Homemade (~Spring/Summer mix~) Lemon, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Essential Oils.3 Menthol Crystals Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./Brut Sport Style ASL./Nivea Men Replenishing PSB.

Greetings,

Early Morning Shave,

An acceptable comfortable shave to finish my shaving week off.

My first few outings with the Feather Hi Stainless was a very uncomfortable shaving experience to say the least which made me shy away from them.....However, this was down to my lack of shaving experience technique, and shaving confidence which had nothing to do with the blade itself.

My reacquaintance with them throughout the week has been a mixture of good & bad.....A valid lesson that i have learned is you can't pass a true judgement on any shaving soft/hardware on just a few outings...After using the Feather Hi Stainless throughout the week my opinion on them is still pretty much undecided However, i will carry on with another week focus with my next weeks shaves to further my experience & final opinion with them.

A close comfortable 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a few small dollops of Nivea Men Replenishing PSB.

My face is feeling smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom