SOTD : Saturday 19th March - Friday 25th March 2022.

Mail Call shave today with a new AP shave co 28mm G5C synthetic…

Pre-shave: Splash of warm water
Bowl: Captains choice copper
Brush: See above…
Razor: Karve CB SB-B plate
Blade: Astra Platinum (3)
Soap: B+M Taiga
Post-shave: B+M Taiga Splash

Love that pine scent. Back down to B plate which is my daily shaver. Continuing the recovery from Covid…7DBFC494-691A-4EAE-AED9-3258D436A058.jpeg

Prep: Face wash with Nivea face wash
Pre: None
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (2)
Blade: Green 7 o'clock (1)
Brush: Yaqi - Mokka
S Soap: E&S Rasage - Equinoxe

Dialled to 2 the Fatboy remains surprisingly efficient and even smoother. Shame I don't get along with the green 7 o'clocks. Huge difference compared to the yellow ones previously used. The greens are much harsher in comparison. Will switch back to yellows for the next shave and move the greens at the bottom of the drawer.
The soap (a recent bargain from the Emporium) has performed as expected. Had another soap from E&S Rasage Traditionnel so already knew that hard work has to be put in for obtaining a good lather. But once there it works wonderful.

Hump day today so it's downhill from here towards the weekend!

SOTD.jpg

Tuesday:

Tears. Our 2 foster babies have left us this morning to go to their forever home. Whilst it is ultimately a very happy day that they have been adopted by a lovely couple and now have a mummy and daddy, we've had them for 3 and 2 years from birth and they are like our own, so Mrs D will have the tears flowing later. I've already had my little moment and then decided I needed a shave to rid me of a few day's worth of growth as we've been busy doing the transition.

Must have been stressed lately as I'd developed a cold sore on my bottom lip and intended to miss it. I didn't realise how far down it had developed, but pass 1 on setting #8 took the cold sore off and left claret flowing. Pass 2 saw me not paying attention and whacking a right 'nick' on my neck. I was going to give up, but ran pass 3 on setting #4 with no adverse events.

That said, I am completely BBS and managed to stem any flow with alum and a separate styptic pen for the cold sore. The boar brush needs more loading than the synth I've been using with the Løthur, as I had virtually no soap left in it to assist the rinse off of alum.

The splash seems to have worked on all but the nick, aka slash wound!

That said, I'm feeling better and now need to crack on with work!

Even a bad shave can do the trick!
As the Dad of an adopted daughter I for one will be forever grateful for the love and care you have given to all the children you've looked after over the years. I hope you and your wife recognise the difference you have made not just in keeping those children in your care safe, happy and loved but also the difference you've made to those who go through the difficult adoption process to have a family of their own. My wife and I thought we couldn't have kids, had loads of miscarriages, were about to try IVF when my son came along as a lottery win of sorts against all odds. Obviously this was amazing but meant IVF wasn't an option anymore for us, (the NHS won't fund you even if they know you have issues in conceiving if you have a child), but we desperately wanted another child so we chose adoption and now have a beautiful daughter to complete our family. The stability, love and care you've given are immeasurable and in these days full of dark and depressing news it's people like you that continue to help make a difference in the world and keep the light shining in a dark world.
Many thanks to you and your wife.

x3qkATm.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Shavemac 2-band Finest Badger
Cream: Fitjar Islands Folgefonn
Razor: Above The Tie S1 / UFO Tornado
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Aussie Spoiler (6)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Aqua Velva Ice Blue Aftershave Lotion
Scent:Guerlain L'Homme Ideal

A very refreshing shave.

How is the pup settling in, great looking wee dog
Thank you. We're doing as well as can be expected. His energy level is off the charts and he's easily bored. Monday he chewed through the power cord to my computer. So, along with a new power cord, I ordered more chew toys. It's a learning experience for both of us.

Last edited:
Razor = 1966 Black Gillette Super Speed
Blade = Vintage 1960’s Sheffield Special ( 3 )
Brush = 26mm Yaqi Rainbow Synthetic
Soap = DG Albizia with matching splash
Balm = Barts Balms Ben Nevis
DA76135B-472D-49B1-B856-630094FC37F9.jpeg
A nice vintage v new shave today
bit of a mix & matchshave today but class nonetheless.
3 passes of luxury lather,
The DG soaps are a very thirsty soap and me for one are happy lathering for a good few minutes to get it right.
The Razor is decent enough but certainly not the best super speed but this one happens to be my only birth year razor so a bit special to me.
The blades which were an ebay buy for me are genuinely class, pre decimal but you would never know, One of the best vintage blades i own,
off course Sheffield steel being a world leader of their time. Finished of with the wonderful bart’s balms Amber & Moroccan jasmine
Overall a top drawer shave with old v new.
Onwards & Upwards
Stay Safe Lads

Last edited:
Thank you. We're doing as well as can be expected. His energy level is off the charts and he's easily bored. Monday he chewed through the power cord to my computer. So, along with a new power cord, I ordered more chew toys. It's a learning experience fro both of us.
I'm pleased to hear that. I can imagine his energy levels, full on and crash and burn.

FC1C73EE-2FCA-4C64-B993-9EC07A536E7D.jpeg
SOTD: 23/03/2022

Razor: Alpha Shaving Works The Bandit
Blade: Feather 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Lothur Juice
Aftershave: William Hunt Oud De Parfum Aftershave
Balm: Bart’s Balm Sample Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

As advised I changed the blade up to a fresh Feather and the difference was noticeably better, more efficient and it was good yesterday with the Astra! A closer shave to the point where I had a very goods DFS at 2 passes and could have left it there. I can see this being an excellent combination on a day or twos growth, but as I shave daily for work I wouldn’t necessarily use it every day with a feather. Another close shave around the Adam’s apple and soft neck area to the left and right, and minimal growth this evening means I may get away with a 2 pass shave tomorrow if I stick with the feather. It felt ‘closer’ to the skin but that’s most likely just because it gave such a close shave the day before as well. The razor is lovely and we’ll balanced and has no problems for me under the nose or lip. I’m trying hard to find fault but I can’t really other than there isn’t going to be many brass versions available! I must apologise as I must not have dried it of fully as a water mark/tarnish began to show on the head but it literally rubbed of with a soft cloth. It’s so effective I may have to do the unthinkable and take a day off to try the open comb! I’ve not done that since I started shaving this way a year and half ago!
The weight again was nothing but a benefit again, I feel adding to the closeness of the shave as the razor really does do all the work here. I can’t wait for the full release!

Thank you. We're doing as well as can be expected. His energy level is off the charts and he's easily bored. Monday he chewed through the power cord to my computer. So, along with a new power cord, I ordered more chew toys. It's a learning experience for both of us.
What breed is he? I have a Paterdale/collie cross and she is the spitting image of yours. Poppy was a little minx. I had to redo all of my network cables and had to resort to Tablet use for a little while. She destroyed everything!

Back
Top Bottom