SOTD : Saturday 19th March - Friday 25th March 2022.

Tuesday:

Tears. Our 2 foster babies have left us this morning to go to their forever home. Whilst it is ultimately a very happy day that they have been adopted by a lovely couple and now have a mummy and daddy, we've had them for 3 and 2 years from birth and they are like our own, so Mrs D will have the tears flowing later. I've already had my little moment and then decided I needed a shave to rid me of a few day's worth of growth as we've been busy doing the transition.

Must have been stressed lately as I'd developed a cold sore on my bottom lip and intended to miss it. I didn't realise how far down it had developed, but pass 1 on setting #8 took the cold sore off and left claret flowing. Pass 2 saw me not paying attention and whacking a right 'nick' on my neck. I was going to give up, but ran pass 3 on setting #4 with no adverse events.

That said, I am completely BBS and managed to stem any flow with alum and a separate styptic pen for the cold sore. The boar brush needs more loading than the synth I've been using with the Løthur, as I had virtually no soap left in it to assist the rinse off of alum.

The splash seems to have worked on all but the nick, aka slash wound!

That said, I'm feeling better and now need to crack on with work!

Even a bad shave can do the trick!
Sorry to hear about the sadness but what a wonderful thing you've both done. My utmost respect to both Mrs D and you.

Sorry to hear about the sadness but what a wonderful thing you've both done. My utmost respect to both Mrs D and you.
Thanks, it is the same each time we move a child on, as we've been doing it for 10 years now, we know the score. These 2 little ones were just a bit special for us and at least they've had a good start; being honest, it's not just tears of sadness, it's happiness for their future. We will inevitably (and sadly) have some more children for Mrs D and myself to look after in the very near future, which is why we became short-term foster carers to begin with (short-term classed as 2 years).

Tue 22 SOTD
Cream/Soap Suezbana Lemon & Tea Tree
Brush Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia
Razor Karve Brass OC-D
Blade Sharp Star Platinum 5th
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Lemon Chill & Tea Tree + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Terrific lather from the cream/soap! Overdid it abit...nice scent, creamy, and very slick!
Today's shave with the razor paired with this blade was just acceptable. The blade is not as smooth/comfortable and less efficient in 3passes for a dfs/ccs result. Surprisingly, it did not cause any weepers or irritation. The aftershaves were awesome!
20220322_113524.jpg

Tuesday:

Tears. Our 2 foster babies have left us this morning to go to their forever home. Whilst it is ultimately a very happy day that they have been adopted by a lovely couple and now have a mummy and daddy, we've had them for 3 and 2 years from birth and they are like our own, so Mrs D will have the tears flowing later. I've already had my little moment and then decided I needed a shave to rid me of a few day's worth of growth as we've been busy doing the transition.

Must have been stressed lately as I'd developed a cold sore on my bottom lip and intended to miss it. I didn't realise how far down it had developed, but pass 1 on setting #8 took the cold sore off and left claret flowing. Pass 2 saw me not paying attention and whacking a right 'nick' on my neck. I was going to give up, but ran pass 3 on setting #4 with no adverse events.

That said, I am completely BBS and managed to stem any flow with alum and a separate styptic pen for the cold sore. The boar brush needs more loading than the synth I've been using with the Løthur, as I had virtually no soap left in it to assist the rinse off of alum.

That must be a bitter sweet feeling. You and Mrs D should be very proud of the lovely start to life you have given the 2 children.

22/03/22
Pre - Pears Transparent original face wash
Brush - Zenith 506 Copper 28mm
Soap - OSP No. 08
Razor - Feather SR ASR-RBL
Blade - Feather Pro Guard
Post - Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm - Barts Balm Cinnamon & Patchouli Balm & Lotion
A/S - OSP #08
Wk 12 22 (4).JPG
A very nice 2 pass shave then spoiled by a buffing pass, nothing major, nicked my chin and graze my throat chasing a BBS, that's what you get for being cocky.
Thank you everyone for all the well wishes :love:, i am sure i will be back to normal soon.
Stay safe and enjoy your day.

Last edited:
22 March

Extro Bergamotto di Calabria
Simpson M7 Manchurian
Karve Christopher Bradley
Feather Hi-Stainless
Bart’s Balm Ben Vorlich

0431B4F4-96BB-4CA4-88AE-B73FD8F3B81F.jpeg
It has been quite a while since I used a badger brush. I have had the Simpson M7 for a long time (2012), and I have ignored it, of late, for some newer toys. I shouldn’t have. It created a really great lather today, and the Karve with a D plate made light work of removing both it and the stubble. A close and comfortable shave.

Tuesday:

Have a well deserved break, as no doubt you will probably volunteer to take on more children. Our friends still take on more in their 80s

20220322_130346.jpg
SOTD 22nd Mar
Brush - Yaqi Giotto 24mm
Soap - A&E Socal Hipster
Razor - Parker 65r
Blade - Astra SP #3
Post - L'Oréal Hydra Sensitive Birch Sap
Amazing how a great shave can turn your day around and lift your spirits. I rarely have an afternoon shave - but I'm glad I did today.
This Parker razor is efficient enough to give BBS in 3 passes without really trying. I'd say it's mid aggression but very audible for a DE. Coupled with the Astra it gave a beautiful 3 passes.
The soap is in my top 3. Amazing performance and easy to whip into a lather, but it's the scent that really surprises me. Considering I'm not a fan of Grapefruit or Banana - I bloody love the smell of this. Paired with my favourite Yaqi Giotto - a cracking shave was the only result.
Take care all and enjoy your shaves

Tuesday:

Laudable yet difficult in equal measures, I'm sure @Duffers782 . You have my admiration (y)

2DFD9FF0-8590-47CA-AF9A-9BE853079360.jpeg
SOTD: 22/03/2022

Razor: Alpha Shaving Works, The Bandit, Solid Bar
Blade: Astra SP, 1st use
Brush: Shedeleven Spalted Scottish Hawthorn AP Shave Co G5C 26mm Fan
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Lather Bowl Standard Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: Proraso Wood And Spice Cream
Aftershave: Proraso Wood And Spice Cologne
Balm: L’Oreal Men Expert Reinforcing Aftershave Balm
Additional Care: Osma Laboratoires Alum Block

This was my first shave with Alpha’s new razor the Bandit and I have to say I’m very impressed. The weight and finish is brilliant, I didn’t think I’d get on with the handle despite how good it looks but it was one of those handles that just felt ‘right’ from the off. The razor has some serious heft to it, maybe as much as my brass Hone, but is really so well balanced that it never feels heavy or a chore.
The shave was close, efficient and smooth, it has a little blade feel but a lot less than say the Blackbird, however its still nearly as efficient. The Blackbird can be, as I like to put it an exfoliater or top layer remover, this isn’t in that realm at all, but it definitely gets close enough to lightly ‘rub’ the top layer. However I never felt it was going to bite at all. In fact It was strangely the opposite.
My Adam’s apple and surrounding areas always a difficult area for me to shave efficiently but this was surprisingly close in those areas and I was shaving straight over in one motion by the final 3rd pass. I rarely do this with any razor bar the Leaf Twig or Masamune. It goes straight into a special set of razors for me for that alone.
I used a Astra SP with this but feel once I’ve worked through this it may benefit from a sharper blade, but I’ll test this later in the week.
I love the razor’s look and more importantly how it shaves. Depending on the price, (hell maybe even not on the price) I want this in my Den. One shave in its rare I react and decide one way or another on a razors performance but this really does hit the mark for me. I have no reason to overdo the praise either as this is a part of a ATG pass around and other than trying it out early I gain nothing. I’m just very impressed on the first use.

Haslinger honey soap
AP Shave Co 24mm Synbad
Eveready Jewel
GEM coated #1
Alum
Institute Karinite ASB
Tauer ‘L’air du desert Marocain’ EDT

Quite a rough shave with the new blade producing a rash of weepers on my neck and razor rash which is rare for me, if the next shave is rough I will bin it as a duff blade. Cleaned up weepers with the alum and calmed the rash with the balm, a spritz of the cologne too the back of the neck was at least painless!

Back
Top Bottom