Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Vetiver
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Kai (1st)
Post #1: Speick After Shave Balm
Post #2: Malin+Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
Scent: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Excellent shave this morning. These Kai blades have quickly taken top spot in DE blades preference!

Greetings

Friday 25th September 2015
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM OCMM
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Vie Long 2 Band
Soap: Speick Stick Grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Tom Ford Black Orchid

Regards
Dick.

DSC06263.JPG

Hot shower
Porasso red shaving soap
LS badger brush
Sputnik blade
1940s Gillette Tech head and base plate , with a Windrose? Stainless handle.

After 5 days growth, I didn't expect anything like a good shave, I personally have never got a good shave from a Tech, but with the heavy handle, and Sputnik combo I was actually quite shocked!, a good irritation free shave, to DFS standard, all round. I think I may be changing my mind on the Tech.....

I also have an ER G-bar, I call it an "ER Heavy Flat Top" (well that's what Paul told me to call it) ...

Beautiful set, mate. It's the "Heavy Flat Top" as a GEM, although we called them the "Natural Angle". I don't know if either moniker was applied to this set, but I have seen the word "Deluxe" applied and so I call it the Ever Ready Natural Angle Deluxe set in my inventory.

It is indeed a joy to use!

IMG_1839_Fotor.jpg

Bulldog Face Wash
Tabac Shaving Soap w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Henckels Rapide & CV Heljestrand
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Tabac Aftershave & EDC

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & WTG (Slide)

I've got a very generous German chum, let's call him Robin, who kindly sent me a couple of Heljestrand "wedges". I say "wedges" since they're actually not wedges but like I always say when this top comes up, if it looks like a wedge and could be used like a wedge, well, it's a wedge. I'm not entirely sure what the grind is, but they're hollow ground to some degree.

Anyway, this generous gift deserved honouring and so I picked out all my German gear ...

Robin will be screaming at the computer screen now. "MAURER AND WIRTZ? (Spit)" ... I know, and he knows, there is a much finer German soap maker but today is Friday and God himself decreed that Friday is the day we use Tabac so who am I to argue with that? Tabac, it is.

Cracking shave! The blade, I gather is NOS and wanted little more than a good run up and down some leather. Yeah, I must confess that it was not as smooth as I had hoped in use, but the second pass with a slide was a real pleasure and delivered the smooth (feeling) shave that I wanted. Fun, too, to use the Henckels with a proper blade as I have used it with a modern GEM blade and that blade retaining catch just got in the way; certainly compared to the Wilkinson Sword Patent Roller Safety Shaver whose design was licensed to Henckels. I digress, but you know me ...

Tabac'd up to the eyeballs, I'm getting into the spirit of Friday night with a rum & Crabbies (note the order) and wishing you chaps all a superb weekend!

Last edited:
SOTD 25/9/15

Hot Towel
Rock Face Scrub
TOBS Sandalwood
Wilkinson Sword Boar
Merkur 39C
Astra SS (2)
Cold Towel
Woodspice Amber

AdobePhotoshopExpress_05120e64c549475ba1404635d358ab39.jpg

Today was a sandalwood day. I wanted that warm scent during the shave, and it did not disappoint. 3 passes after the usual prep, and I was smoother than the criminal MJ used to sing about. Topped off with a little Woodspice Amber before leaving for work as I fancied a bit more spice.

Result? 5/5. Wonderful shave this morning

Cracking rasp today:

Merkur 34HD, Sputnik
Hand-carved Ash Boar
Ingram
Blue Stratos
Astral

Honestly, I'm preferring this well broken in Omega boar knot to the 2-band finest I have. Whips up crazy lather and releases it better than the badger. Yep, I'm a pig lover...

P.S. Nice to see you using the Blue Stratos Mr Non-Stig!

Cracking rasp today:

Merkur 34HD, Sputnik
Hand-carved Ash Boar
Ingram
Blue Stratos
Astral

Honestly, I'm preferring this well broken in Omega boar knot to the 2-band finest I have. Whips up crazy lather and releases it better than the badger. Yep, I'm a pig lover...

P.S. Nice to see you using the Blue Stratos Mr Non-Stig!
Cheers. Reckon there's two more liberal applications left before I have an empty bottle so am going to Home Bargains and B&M bargains to see if I can't get me some more

Back
Top Bottom