Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Vetiver
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Kai (1st)
Post #1: Speick After Shave Balm
Post #2: Malin+Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
Scent: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Excellent shave this morning. These Kai blades have quickly taken top spot in DE blades preference!

Hot shower
Porasso red shaving soap
LS badger brush
Sputnik blade
1940s Gillette Tech head and base plate , with a Windrose? Stainless handle.

After 5 days growth, I didn't expect anything like a good shave, I personally have never got a good shave from a Tech, but with the heavy handle, and Sputnik combo I was actually quite shocked!, a good irritation free shave, to DFS standard, all round. I think I may be changing my mind on the Tech.....

I also have an ER G-bar, I call it an "ER Heavy Flat Top" (well that's what Paul told me to call it) ...

Beautiful set, mate. It's the "Heavy Flat Top" as a GEM, although we called them the "Natural Angle". I don't know if either moniker was applied to this set, but I have seen the word "Deluxe" applied and so I call it the Ever Ready Natural Angle Deluxe set in my inventory.

It is indeed a joy to use!

IMG_1839_Fotor.jpg

Bulldog Face Wash
Tabac Shaving Soap w/Muhle Silvertip Fibre
Henckels Rapide & CV Heljestrand
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Tabac Aftershave & EDC

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & WTG (Slide)

I've got a very generous German chum, let's call him Robin, who kindly sent me a couple of Heljestrand "wedges". I say "wedges" since they're actually not wedges but like I always say when this top comes up, if it looks like a wedge and could be used like a wedge, well, it's a wedge. I'm not entirely sure what the grind is, but they're hollow ground to some degree.

Anyway, this generous gift deserved honouring and so I picked out all my German gear ...

Robin will be screaming at the computer screen now. "MAURER AND WIRTZ? (Spit)" ... I know, and he knows, there is a much finer German soap maker but today is Friday and God himself decreed that Friday is the day we use Tabac so who am I to argue with that? Tabac, it is.

Cracking shave! The blade, I gather is NOS and wanted little more than a good run up and down some leather. Yeah, I must confess that it was not as smooth as I had hoped in use, but the second pass with a slide was a real pleasure and delivered the smooth (feeling) shave that I wanted. Fun, too, to use the Henckels with a proper blade as I have used it with a modern GEM blade and that blade retaining catch just got in the way; certainly compared to the Wilkinson Sword Patent Roller Safety Shaver whose design was licensed to Henckels. I digress, but you know me ...

Tabac'd up to the eyeballs, I'm getting into the spirit of Friday night with a rum & Crabbies (note the order) and wishing you chaps all a superb weekend!

Last edited:
SOTD 25/9/15

Hot Towel
Rock Face Scrub
TOBS Sandalwood
Wilkinson Sword Boar
Merkur 39C
Astra SS (2)
Cold Towel
Woodspice Amber

AdobePhotoshopExpress_05120e64c549475ba1404635d358ab39.jpg

Today was a sandalwood day. I wanted that warm scent during the shave, and it did not disappoint. 3 passes after the usual prep, and I was smoother than the criminal MJ used to sing about. Topped off with a little Woodspice Amber before leaving for work as I fancied a bit more spice.

Result? 5/5. Wonderful shave this morning

Cracking rasp today:

Merkur 34HD, Sputnik
Hand-carved Ash Boar
Ingram
Blue Stratos
Astral

Honestly, I'm preferring this well broken in Omega boar knot to the 2-band finest I have. Whips up crazy lather and releases it better than the badger. Yep, I'm a pig lover...

P.S. Nice to see you using the Blue Stratos Mr Non-Stig!

Cracking rasp today:

Merkur 34HD, Sputnik
Hand-carved Ash Boar
Ingram
Blue Stratos
Astral

Honestly, I'm preferring this well broken in Omega boar knot to the 2-band finest I have. Whips up crazy lather and releases it better than the badger. Yep, I'm a pig lover...

P.S. Nice to see you using the Blue Stratos Mr Non-Stig!
Cheers. Reckon there's two more liberal applications left before I have an empty bottle so am going to Home Bargains and B&M bargains to see if I can't get me some more

Back
Top Bottom