SOTD Saturday 22th Aug to Friday 28th Aug 2015

27 August 2015

20885258476_6b67d53779_b.jpg

Thursday 27 August 2015

210256d1440675162-sun-august-23rd-sat-august-29th-sotd-27082015.jpg

Robert Klaas 207, 5/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

In my humble collection of straight razors - now counting 204 pieces - most of them are vintage razors. I am of course very fond of them all, not just for the fact I personally restored and honed them, but also because of my passion for the history of shaving. Robert Klaas straight razors are good shavers and it certainly is pleasure to shave with them. In this shave I also used Prep shaving soap as I realized I was not using this soap since a very long time. In my opinion, it is not the best soap around, however its strong refreshing and cooling effect on the skin makes it pleasurable in summertime. Things are different when it comes to the aftershave: this P.160 Professional Ambre Dorée, despite it can be considered a vintage aftershave - as a matter of fact, it is a discontinued product, just like the well known and stellar P.160 shaving soap - it works very well, leaving a smooth skin and a fragrant aroma recalling Italian barbershops of past times.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Prep Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush Red #10049
  • Bowl: Stainless Steel Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Robert Klaas 207, 5/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: P.160 Professional Ambre Dorée

Thursday.

Afternoon, chaps.
Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Super Max Blue Diamond(6)
Brush: Kabuki Bamboo
Shave cream: Gillette red tube
Aftershave: Iris Sauvage
Cologne:

wMML7aWl.png

Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies Honeysuckle
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Kai (4th)
Scent: Coromandel by Chanel

I haven't used Honeysuckle in a couple of weeks & that's way too long.

Prep - Shower / Woods Of Windsor Cedar Woods soap / Pre-lather / 3 min steam
Razor - Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade - Personna Lab Blue
Brush - Omega 20106
Soap - Arko soap & cream / glycerine / menthol crystals
After - Frozen towel / Alum & WH Mix
Result - BBBS

I usually find, as I'm sure most of you do, that each shave has perhaps one element that stands out, be it the blade, lather or the result. Sometimes though, it can all come together perfectly. Well, everything about my shave this evening was sheer perfection, kicked off by having the humble abode to myself.
It's been quite a while since I've had a taste of the Antarctic chill in my lather, preferring the altogether more gentle, floral notes over the summer. The mental crystals were back with a bang though, biting all the more on the second pass, the stubble having provided some cushion previously. It was only the entrée though, the frozen towel providing the full blown blizzard.
Have no fear, suitable refuge was taken in the warmth of the 12 yr old Cardhu accompanying me.
There's always trepidation in using a blade that I've anticipated so highly, but I needn't have concerned myself with the Lab Blues. I always try a new blade in a Tech, just to get a feel for it, but it's been too long since I've had my first DE out. Set at five, it's given me easily its best shave to date. Felt sharper than a Silver Blue yet more comfortable than a Perma-Sharp. All this from a blade made in the good old US of A!
The result was Beyond BBS, feels like my beard has just vanished, nice one Personna!

Bic 1 Sensitive
Plisson synthetic
Catie's Bubbles Fouet L'Orange
Speick Men ASL

Late shave today as we've booked to go out for dinner. Took a boat up to Totnes where I found - of all things - a perfumer selling Serge Lutens! So I partook in Fille en aiguilles and Five o'clock au gigembre for the day. I wasn't immediately taken by either but the former will be worth another sample at some point. I should really have sprayed a bit of Gris clair... on but the 5oc took my fancy at the time.

SOTD 27/8/15

Hot Towel
Triple M The Glacier Oil
Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood
Body Shop Synthetic
Merkur 39C
Astra SS (1)
Cold Towel

AdobePhotoshopExpress_1bb3d626507c45a68d744096db1e45d0.jpg

OK I know I was doing 7 days straight of a shavette, but I needed to give myself a break, so picked up a freshly Astra SS loaded Merkur 39C, lathered up with my first (and one of my favourite) creams, TOBS Sandalwood and went at it. The first pass and second passes were a breeze, with the ATG pass feeling like I was walking on clouds. 99% I'd say BBS was achieved today, something I am immensely pleased with. No cuts, nicks or weepers were sustained in the shave, nor did I feel the need for any post shave balms/moisturisers.

Result? 5/5. 1st 5* shave outside of The Fat, really great shave was had today.

Merkur 34HD, Lab Blue
Hand-carved Ash Boar
Arko Stick
Selin Limon
Homemade Post Shave Oil

Grand shave with a couple of Turkish products just before heading down to the local Turkish barbers for a mop chop.

img_1707.jpg

Trumpers Lime Skinfood
Razorock Chubby Silvertip
Razorock SMDF
Mongoose with Jürgen Hempel Ti
Feather Pro (7)
Razorock Baby Blue AS

This is a big brush! Liking the baby blue aftershave.

Back
Top Bottom