SOTD : Saturday 30th December 2017 - Friday 5th January 2018.

FyBbFtP6_o.jpeg

Maseto Memphis
Merkur Mergress LH
Wilkinson Sword (3)
Tallow & Steel Boreal
Alum Block, Myrsol Emulsion & Superdrug Forest Fresh

My first shave with the Mergress and after several Progresses that have come and gone, I think this might be THE ONE. For a first shave it was superb, no nicks, weepers or irritation, even ATG on my neck. I think the extra weight and longer handle may be making all the difference, my previous vanilla Progress experience have all been short handled versions. I am looking forward to the coming days shaves and hope they are as good as today's.

The lather is superb, both in terms of scent and performance. A lovely, rich woodsy scent. I hope I get to try some of their other offerings, especially Morocco, that sounds right up my street.
Superb choice of soap you had today. :)

Great Minds think alike and all that. :D

Wickham 1912 Club Cola
RazoRock 400
Parker 98R
SuperMax Blue Diamond (1)
Lime witch hazel mixture
4711 Aftershave

My first run out with this razor and
blade. This razor is bloody heavy, but felt good to grip.
I was a bit non plussed by this shave. I knew the razor is said to be mild so I'll use a different blade in it for its next use, something smooth like a Voskhod.
I'm not sure the blade is very smooth, in this razor at least, as I've got some irritation on my neck.
All this said I managed to get a BBS finish, with some effort though
4711 Aftershave topped off my shave very nicely.

Tongue in cheek video. . . .

Thursday 4th January 2018
Sotd 4th Jan.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + Body Shop Maca Root face wash and Proraso Green
Razor: iKon 101
Blade: ZaZa (#1)
Brush: Plisson Pure Badger
Cream: Ingrams
Bowl: Korium
Post: Alum Block, Cold water and Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel
AS: Bulldog original balm

Pleasantly surprised by how smooth a shave the ZaZa blade gave, I can't see me buying more but I will use the rest of the pack. I was also impressed by the lather from the Ingrams cream, I have started dabbling with using a shave bowl again and got a ceramic Korium bowl at Christmas and I whipped up a great lather. My other bowls are stainless steel one and horn bowl, I like the horn bowl but it is too big to sit in the hand nicely for me and the stainless one is now mainly used for barbiciding razors in.

Thursday's shave.

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap face wash, followed by Elemis Pre-shave Oil.
Razor - Colonial Razors - The General SS.
Blade - Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink (Day 1).
Soap - Kiehl's Lite Flite Shaving Cream.
Bowl - Little Wren.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger.
Post shave - Savlon.

I have been off work for a few days, recovering from the flu/bad cough. Anyway, I was pleased to receive, on Wednesday, from Colonial razors, the General SS and coincidentally a new supply of Kai Titan's from Connaught Shaving.

First impressions, the General SS is a great razor - on a par with the ATT SE1 - perhaps better. However, I have a spot on my chin/jaw-line under the skin, and I took the top off of this and some skin, on the first pass - quite a bleeder, which detracted from the shave.

Anyway back to the shave, other than the slight decapitation, I was very pleased with the one pass that I had and I am looking forward to getting a no problem, 2 pass shave in with the General SS.

I hope this is a good year for everyone, with good health, prosperity and great shaves.

My resolution for the New Year is to try and post more shave of the day photographs.

All the best,

Chris

D36A7487-F906-4CB9-958C-9996E4E73883.jpg

Rocca
Nacet
Stirling
YaQi​

This 2-band finest really is fine. Huge flow-through, contrary to some of the recent synthetics I've owned. Whipped up a mountain of slick, shiny lather for me to get to work with. The soap, as I've come to learn, is fantastic. I may have to get more Stirling soaps in due course.
First use of the Rocca, with a fresh Nacet blade gave me superb results. I had about 5 days of growth and this combo dealt with each individual hair with reckless abandon. The first pass gave me some time to determine the angle, the second pass was smooth as silk. Contrary to most other razors I've used, this one has some very definite blade exposure, and subsequently seems to cope better with shorter hair and chatters ever-so-lightly otherwise. Riding the cap gave a lovely, shallow angle which worked wonders for me. No need for any post-shave today.

Overall, I'm very happy with my recent acquisition. I'm sure it'll give me some cracking shaves yet, especially when I get used to it.

Roll up, one and all! :D

image.jpg ~SOTD~ Friday 5th Jan 08

Prep ~ Shower, Olive oil soap
Razor ~ Ever-Ready 1924, Fat Handle (shim fitted)
Blade ~ Gem SS Coated
Soap ~ Tabac
Brush ~ Omega 011829 boar
Post ~ Tabac Aftershave
Scent ~ Tabac EDC

My sixth Gem bladed shave in a row and very good it was too.
All the Tabac products worked wonderfully and I was left clean shaven and smelling great :) My first use with this brush and I'm impressed, feels great in the hand with some weight and the bristles feel good with plenty of backbone, the soaking / drying continues.

Have a great day people.......:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom