SOTD: Saturday February 25 - Friday 3 March 2023.

Saturday February 25, 2023
Razor: 6S Plate 5
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Unbranded Vintage Burma Shave Boar
Soap: A&E NYC (1508.5)
AS 1: Witch Hazel
AS 2: Ethos Fresh Lime
Fragrance:
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1,573

Been busy lately. Lost an Aunt I was close to that lived in New Mexico this week. It's been a rough 10 months between losing my Mother in Law in April and then my Stepdad (more a Father) in Nov and now this. Also getting things in order before I have surgery to help me breath better hopefully. Septoplasty as well as a valve implant requiring a graft taken from behind my ear. That will be Wednesday March 1st. Have Gotham The Five Points Soap and Splash coming as a gift from Pasteur's Pharmacy I believe on Monday, so I may do a video on Tuesday morning to get the review done before the surgery. Hoping I can keep my string of Consecutive shaves going after the surgery but we will see. I was able to do it after shoulder surgery(left handed) but unsure of swelling etc with this so playing it by ear. Have a great day everyone ! No Pic Today.......

Sorry for your loss Dave.

Wish you and your family the best in your time of grief.

25/02/23
Shavette Saturday
Pre - Sainsbury's Luxury Soap, Bergamot & Nectarine
Brush - Jayaruh #291 Synth Tuxedo Knot
Soap - Martin De Candre Rose (Sample)
Razor - Kasho Kai Captain CAP-R7 Folder
Blade - Feather Pro Guard
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Tonyschin's Orange & Neroli Balm & Argan Oil
A/S - Martin De Candre Limette
View attachment 101356
Ok Then,
I was really looking forward to trying the MDC Rose soap sample kindly gifted by @Paul L, the original sniff of the packet had me sold on the sent, although i do have something very similar in the den from @BrianH and Signature soaps - the Leodis or Coria Maybe? (Rose & Geranium in both)
I actually used a bit too much soap and ended up with vast amounts of lather for which was basically a planned 2 pass shave. The scent is really nice and very natural, the lather was slick and creamy. Yes, its a very nice soap.
The shave itself was nice and easy without any errors, i do like the Pro-guard in the Kia, it makes it a very comfortable razor.
As i had plenty of lather in the brush and bowl i had a nice face wash in it before my cold water rinse.
I do like the MDC splash, although i did get some fleeting indication on the cheeks. Not a match for the soap, but very nice all the same.
The Rub!
Would i buy a full tub? the jury is out. I may succumb once my soap mountain starts to dwindle - maybe around 2033
Is it 4 times better than Signature soap - for me its a big NO. Controversial? I think not, its just my opinion. Save your money and check out @BrianH 's wares.
I do have a few more samples to try because of the great generosity of our members and do look forward to trying them out.
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.
Thank you Tony, it’s truly appreciated. At the end of the day I agree there is a limit to how much customers are prepared to pay. There is a pricing dilemma for small batch shaving soap producers relatively new on the scene. The Artisan makers who were “first” to enter the market were able to charge higher prices as a consequence of inelastic supply and demand. If they entered the market now, with more excellent producers there is no way they could charge inflated premiums for what are comparable shaving soaps.

Dave, very sorry to hear of your loss and impending surgery. You're clearly made of tough stuff but being tested. I wish you well sir.

For some reason I am unable to add the photo in line in the usual way, it's greyed out and I can only do it as an attachment. Odd. Just me?

Anyway gremlins aside, I'm lovely and smooth and smelling great IMHO!

RR Hawk V3A
Kai Captain Pink (6) - yes I know I haven't posted for a week.
Vintage Rubberset 400
Gothic Revival soap, balm and splash and a drop of Bio oil.

The brush whisked up a thick luscious lather with the Wickham in no time. I love the smell of this set.

Attachments

• 20230225_124610.jpg
    20230225_124610.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Fragrance:

Been busy lately. Lost an Aunt I was close to that lived in New Mexico this week. It's been a rough 10 months between losing my Mother in Law in April and then my Stepdad (more a Father) in Nov and now this. Also getting things in order before I have surgery to help me breath better hopefully. Septoplasty as well as a valve implant requiring a graft taken from behind my ear. That will be Wednesday March 1st. Have Gotham The Five Points Soap and Splash coming as a gift from Pasteur's Pharmacy I believe on Monday, so I may do a video on Tuesday morning to get the review done before the surgery. Hoping I can keep my string of Consecutive shaves going after the surgery but we will see. I was able to do it after shoulder surgery(left handed) but unsure of swelling etc with this so playing it by ear. Have a great day everyone ! No Pic Today.......
Dave, sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt.
Wishing you a swift and full recovery after your surgery.

Paul.

Fragrance:

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope surgery goes smoothly. Regards Brian

Shave last night/ early morning
Prep: shower
Razor: Rockwell 6S R4
Brush: Omega Boar
Blade: Polsilver Super Irridium
Soap: Signature Soaps Capra Deva
Loaded wet brush with soap for 30 seconds and applied directly to face. There was easily enough soap in the brush for 3 passes ( WTG XTG, ATG) which I did. Still ugly, thank God, but skin felt really smooth and refreshed afterwards. Brilliant!

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss Dave.

Wish you and your family the best in your time of grief.

Dave, very sorry to hear of your loss and impending surgery. You're clearly made of tough stuff but being tested. I wish you well sir.

For some reason I am unable to add the photo in line in the usual way, it's greyed out and I can only do it as an attachment. Odd. Just me?

Anyway gremlins aside, I'm lovely and smooth and smelling great IMHO!

RR Hawk V3A
Kai Captain Pink (6) - yes I know I haven't posted for a week.
Vintage Rubberset 400
Gothic Revival soap, balm and splash and a drop of Bio oil.

The brush whisked up a thick luscious lather with the Wickham in no time. I love the smell of this set.

Dave, sorry to hear about the loss of your Aunt.
Wishing you a swift and full recovery after your surgery.

Paul.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope surgery goes smoothly. Regards Brian

Thanks Gentlemen

Seeing a lot of love for Mitchells Wool Fat at the moment - thought, why not!

• NOS Gillette Mach 3 Turbo - NOS original blade
  • Mitchells Wool Fat
  • Vulfix 404 brush
  • Palmers Cocoa Formula for men lotion
Love the Mach 3, and picked up a very early red version recently. I think from the mid 2000's. Worked a treat with a blade that came with it, and the Fat. Wonderful shave. I'm a big fan of Palmers. Cheap as chips in places like Savers. A wonderful aftershave lotion.

PXL_20230225_124122389~2.jpg
SOTD February 25. 2023

Razor - Lambda Athena
Blade - Gillette Platinum
Soap - MWF - The Fat
Brush - Chisel and Hound
Bowl - Captain's Choice - Copper
Post - Refinery ASB
Frag - YSL Kouros edt

Shave five with the fantastic Lambda Athena razor, same razor, soap and blade as yesterday so the shave was much the same, very good indeed!
Tomorrow I will try a Feather Hi Stainless blade and see where that takes me.
I'm still very impressed with this razor, it's mild yet efficient, I could use this as a daily driver, I'm going to be sorry to post it back to its owner @Crossan but there is light on the horizon as I have my name on the waiting list for this razor. Edit: not this particular razor, another Athena! :cool:

I will be back tomorrow after my shave with the Feather blade fitted, until then stay safe and be happy. :)

Paul.

Last edited:
25/2/23

Pre - Palmolive
Brush - Omega/GF
Soap - MWF/Kent
Razor - Star Personna on Fat Handle
Blade - Treet Platinum (5)
Post - Witch Hazel
AS - Wars Protect

The blade was done on the 4th shave but from my experience it's possible to squeeze out one last shave from a good blade, the Treet Platinum is a good blade indeed.

Have a good weekend gents.

IMG_20230225_165524.jpg

2D5754D6-D798-4D9C-A367-7BBBF965A40C.jpeg

Fourth day in a row for the R41GS and the Shark SS.

As I was shaving in the bath I thought I would try bowl lathering the Wilkinson Sword soap again. Failed again. But it lathers up nicely on the face and smells great.

A nice strong coffee and the usual two passes. This blade is going off now, but still gave a close comfortable shave. I’ll use it once more, tomorrow, before swapping to next week’s razor and blade.

• NOS Gillette Mach 3 Turbo - NOS original blade
Love the Mach 3, and picked up a very early red version recently. I think from the mid 2000's. Worked a treat with a blade that came with it,
Hiya doin,

Seeing you with the M3 Turbo reminded me of it being the last cartridge razor with that design and angle of attack used before quitting em cold turkey...heh.. Got very passible 5 minute shaves even in the shower using Gillette Foamy. Very good for what I wanted at the time.

25 February, 2023

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian
Soap: West of Olympia | Envy | Lust | Pride mashup.
Fragrance: Manhattan Eau de Parfum by Roja Dove

Now, that's what I'm talking about! A sublime shave with the West of Olympia soaps.. I'd forgotten how good they were/are... and The Platinum has found a new home.. my word, that was a smooth shave with the Merkur.. I love it when a plan comes together.

Back
Top Bottom